Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a somewhat inexpensive bolt gun in either .308 or .30-06. I am looking at Rem. 700, Ruger American, or maybe Thompson Center Venture. Please tell me your favorite rifle and why.

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
Savage makes accurate rifles for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 with x-mark pro trigger (comes with all "newer models" of the 700) or the Remington 700 tactical. The Varmint has a heavy barrel, while the tactical is a about 6" shorter. From experience with both, I have them zeroed in within 1" MOA afer about 5 rounds of match. The varmint is a little heavier to carry through woods even if you don't think 8.5lb is heavy, try carrying that much weight around for a few miles. If your doing searches about them, you'll find out that there has been some issues reported that the gun can go off without pulling the trigger. There are mixed feelings about this and some weird reports on the net about this, but Remington has stood behind this as a user issue and still makes the guns. My 2 cents on this is, I have experience with both of these guns, I have had them through a lot of tests: loading a blank cap and manlipulating the gun every which way I could to see if it would go off with the blank. I also always shoot my rifles with one single bullet in the breech (Mainly so I can check the aftershot position). Also, note, as with anything new or used (car, home, coffee maker, lawnmower etc), be sure to remember that "inspector 51" could have had a bad day and didn't test all the way through. And with any firearm, never point the barrel at something that you don't want shot (I'm sure you knew this, but putting it out there for others).

Remington 700 tactical: $594.00, 20", 7.5lb
Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308win $594.00 SHIPS FREE

Remington 700 varmint: $561.00, 26", 8.5lb
Remington 700 SPS Synthetic Varmint .308 Win. 26" for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $561.00

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like the Savage from both an accuracy and "bang for your buck" standpoint. Pretty hard to beat overall. This is my Savage Model 10-FP in .308. The scope is a Bushnell Tactical Elite 3200 5-15X, 40 MM. Rings are Burris Signature with the synthetic inserts. They really hold well, and will never mar up a scope tube. This gun shoots the 168 Gr. Sierra Matchking the best with 43.0 Gr. of Varget powder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got to say, I own a Sauer 202, Tikka T3 Tactical, Ruger VII, and Browning X-Bolt. When SHTF I'll take my Tikka any day of the week. It's a little pricey but, man that thing can drive tacks at 100. I've put 3" groups at 500 meters with that puppy! I'll go with .308 before 30-06 due to SHTF .308 will be more available. If you're using it for just hunting go 30-06. Almost every long rifle I own for hunting is 30-06. A 30-06 with a 165 grain accu-bond or TTSX is one nasty force to be [email protected]*& with! I've downed well over 150+critters (boar and Red Stag) in Germany with that setup!

·
Registered
5 Posts
my personal favorite is my savage 11/111 I had one in a .308 but traded off for a 6.5 creedmore its got plenty of stopping power for a smaller round but what it lacks in sheer punch it makes up for it in that " reach out and touch you" quality. But any savage is a very well built and well priced brand from 22 all the way to 338

·
Registered
219 Posts
Right now DICKS sporting goods has a sale on Remington 700 Heavy barrel Varmint rifles here in Kentucky...26 inch heavy barrel...XMARK PRO adjustable trigger....they have 100$ off and a 40$ rebate and that makes em 450$ each.....I just bought two in .308 and may go back this weekend and grab two in 22-250 and stick a Nikon 4X12 varmint scopes on em!!....Sale ends October 27th!

And no I dont work for Dicks LOL!

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 with x-mark pro trigger (comes with all "newer models" of the 700) or the Remington 700 tactical. The Varmint has a heavy barrel, while the tactical is a about 6" shorter. From experience with both, I have them zeroed in within 1" MOA afer about 5 rounds of match. The varmint is a little heavier to carry through woods even if you don't think 8.5lb is heavy, try carrying that much weight around for a few miles. If your doing searches about them, you'll find out that there has been some issues reported that the gun can go off without pulling the trigger. There are mixed feelings about this and some weird reports on the net about this, but Remington has stood behind this as a user issue and still makes the guns. My 2 cents on this is, I have experience with both of these guns, I have had them through a lot of tests: loading a blank cap and manlipulating the gun every which way I could to see if it would go off with the blank. I also always shoot my rifles with one single bullet in the breech (Mainly so I can check the aftershot position). Also, note, as with anything new or used (car, home, coffee maker, lawnmower etc), be sure to remember that "inspector 51" could have had a bad day and didn't test all the way through. And with any firearm, never point the barrel at something that you don't want shot (I'm sure you knew this, but putting it out there for others).

Remington 700 tactical: $594.00, 20", 7.5lb
Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308win $594.00 SHIPS FREE

Remington 700 varmint: $561.00, 26", 8.5lb
Remington 700 SPS Synthetic Varmint .308 Win. 26" for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $561.00
I got the VARMINT in the Rem 700 from Buds and was at the range today....After I finally got my 50 shot break in I shot the group below ...

300 yards with 5 mph crosswinds..BTW those are 1 inch squares on a target made for 100 yards.

Remington 700 Varmint
.308 Winchester / Sierra 168 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Match bullets
44.0 Grains of Hodgden VARGET Powder and Remington Primers
Hornady MATCH Brass, Reloading equipment by RCBS
AOL 2.900 2615 Feet Per Second

Window Wood Door Fixture Circle

·
Registered
219 Posts
BTW I bought one of the Varmint rifles from Dick's sporting goods in a 22-250 but so far can only get a 3 inch group at 300 yards...dont know if the barrel is bent on the damned thing or what?? Most likely its the cheapo no name scope LOL!....will throw it away in a day or two and add a Leupold scope. Got some serious surgery coming up this month for shrapnel removal from spine and groin and a cochlear implant (I'm totally Deaf from artillery shell exploding 16 feet away from me) but will let you guys know sometime after surgery how it all works out and if the gun is worth buying!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Its not on your list, and probably a lighter caliber than you're interested in, but I'm fond of my Mossberg MVP. Eats .223 / 5.56 via AR magazines. Not fancy, but, inexpensive and fun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What Survival said. I like the Remington 700. Check out Dick's. They have the 700 ADL Varmint on sale frequently -- like just about all the time here in southern Ohio! I'm partial to the .308. I added a bipod and a good leather GI type sling, and upgraded the scope.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I really like my Savage 111 Accutrigger 30.06 I just recently picked up in trade for work, It has a wood stock now instead of the original synthetic.

I truly love my ruger 270 though

1 - 20 of 42 Posts