Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of back up water systems do you have in case of a failure in your water source?

I installed a rain catch system with some simple gutters and 55 gallon buckets. Here is a picture of my Rain Catch System.

Has anyone installed a hand pump? Does anyone have a gravity fed system?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 1200 gallon cistern that is the holding tank for my house. Then I have 4 gutters that each have a 200-275 gallon tanks under them. House is 2000 sq ft so a good monsoon rain and they all fill. Then I have another. 1500 gallon tank I found on Craigslist that I need to get set up for the shop to drain into. Then I will have lots of water stores. I want one of these when they are finally on the market.

Eole Water - Give us wind, we give you water | Home

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
What type of back up water systems do you have in case of a failure in your water source?

I installed a rain catch system with some simple gutters and 55 gallon buckets. Here is a picture of my Rain Catch System.

Has anyone installed a hand pump? Does anyone have a gravity fed system?
If I can't get it out of the well, I get it from the artesian well down the street, or I'll get it from the lake and boil it.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I just looked that up. It says 1,000,000 gallon capacity and around $70. Amazing!!! I have to get one.
AND it can be back-fed to clear it out. It filters virus and pathogens, too. I paid 120, so if you see that for 70- RUN, do not walk and get it. Well worth it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in western Washington pick a creek or river put in pot, boil. Got lots of tree's to so wood for a fire to boil it is easy. I am making a distilling pot to make it easier using the wood stove.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cases of water bottles. 5,6,7 gallon water containers. I have a katadyn water filter pump that i will use when i go get water from a "lake" or questionable water. My dad has a property with a well. That has about 100 gallons of water in the reserve. In case the power goes out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have completed more than 50,000 pump cycles in our endurance test on The Storm Pump, our new high efficiency, small diameter hand pump. Now we will make it cosmetically market ready and begin customer trials. I have both a well and spring for my property but will mount the Storm Pump for any time the power is out. We will spend the next month fine tuning our installation instructions, DVDs, and website to be ready to offer it to customers. More details as we progress can be gotten by calling me (Fred) at 208-277-7416.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sawyer filter does not remove viruses, but their purifier will.
Also these filters will get clogged using filthy water.

usTerrafilter will not get clogged, uses one filter medium, gravity fed, 5 gal at a time, will remove viruses and will last for at least 5 to 10 years.
You won't stick this filter in your backpack, but when you get to where you are going you will be glad you had it. Removes 99.9% viruses, parasites and bacteria.
Designed for retreat and home use.
US Terra Filter | Water Purification

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If things become really really parched and the only thing we're concerned about is getting enough to drink, a solar still like this would help if we lived near the sea because even if lakes and rivers dry up, there'll still hopefully be oceans out there to supply all the distilled water we need to stay alive.
(And of course we needn't rely on just one still, we could have a dozen or more all going at the same time-

·
Registered
640 Posts
Lucky Jim... I saw a "I shouldn't be alive" show where some guy was lost on the ocean and had two of these... he had to tear one apart to figure out how to make it work because the instructions weren't that clear... which, of course, meant he was down one.

I'm sure most people already do this... but one of my goals it to go out and actually use what I buy so I will know exactly how to use it should the need arise. I'd also post updates here and try to get inputs from others... which is one reason I'm on this forum.

So... if you get one... and actually try it out... would you mind sharing what you learn.... like does it actually work or is it a pain in the butt and we should look elsewhere?

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have a 600ft. spring water well in our backyard. and it's so covered and hidden no one would even know it was there. Not to mention we ran pipes from the pump to the kitchen sink and all we do is flick a switch and we start getting spring water out of the faucet right away. Good tasting water too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My property borders a small river and there is also a natural spring that flows out of the hillside into the river. The spring was still producing water even during the middle of the heat and drought this summer. I have a couple of ceramic filter 5 gallon bucket systems for filtration. After that I will filter the water with sand and cloth then boil the water .

·
Registered
243 Posts
We've got several cases of water stored, plus I have a Berkey type water purifier. I have a rain barrel that I use for watering the garden, but I want to set up another with a food grade barrel. There are streams, rivers, and lakes within relatively a short distance from my house that can be reached by truck, bicycle, and/or hiking if necessary.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good post. I maintain about 200+/- gals of drinking water on hand at all times stored in 3 55 gal. plastic water drums and assorted containers. Even though I chlorinate all of the bulk containers I still date code them all and rotate it out every 6 months. As long as fresh, clean water is available I figure why not. I also have a 420 gal. hot tub that will be my gray water storage with a two feed gutter system that I can install in less than 2 hours to resupply it. Long range back ups include a Berkley system with 3 sets of new filters cartridges, and 2 large fresh springs that are both with 2 miles of my home plus several ponds within 1/4 mile of so.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have a 22,000 gallon pool and any time it looks like a SHTF scenario, I super shock it in case I need it for water. Also fill tubs with water.

I have a chest style deep freeze in the garage. I keep the bottom of it stacked 2 layers deep with bottled water like the 3 liter Ozarka bottles because the bottles stack well. They also help keep the freezer cool in the event of short term SHTF issues that cut power for a few days.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts