Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
What is your biggest motivation for being Prepared?
learning a long time ago, that during an emergency, or bad times, the only one you can rely on to take care of yourself is yourself.
don't rely on the govt, or the kindness of strangers or family to save your butt.

times have been safe and plentiful for decades... the masses forget that for centuries it was a dog eat dog world..... they don't realize how quickly things can go bad for them if the S$^T hits the fan, and they are not prepared...

History tends to repeat itself and it seems alot of things are heading downhill.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is your biggest motivation for being Prepared?

Well despite having a former Navy Officer Step father that was a prepper, ( i am a survivalist not a prepper) My motivation if that is what drives me, is a combination of life's natural disasters that I have been through and my very Jewish Grandmother (I am Christian)

My 1st natural disaster I was a young kid during the Blizzard of '78 where 26 inches of snow had fallen and I was alone with the baby sitter with both of my parents separately stranded in their cars on 2 different highways.

Later in life I have been through blackouts, flooding, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and survived riots after Rodney King in college ( interesting story actually as the riots stopped when a black fraternity that was going through dormitories beating up people ended up hitting the basement dorms where I was. These dorms housed the universities football team, 1 hockey player, a golden gloves champion, and myself that answered the dorm door wielding a Japanese Katana. Riot over)

But honestly it was my Jewish Grandmother. She didn't know it, but she was a prepper. Food, water, medication, you name it she always had what you needed. Whether at home or in the car she always pulled out a bag, tote, or box the item that you needed.

Me becoming a survivalist though is actually from the writers of the TV show MacGyver. Being able to fix anything, make anything just fascinated me. I ended up going to college to take the courses he took Engineering, Advanced Mathematics, Chemistry, & Advanced Physics. Later I took at occupational schools auto repair, electronic repair and computer tech and eventually small & large appliance.

Funny to think that a TV show, a grandmother, and all the [email protected]@#$ I have been through and seen shaped me into the person i am today... Thanks again Grandma RIP.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is for you Annie

Superstorm Sandy is what really kicked it into gear for me.
Sandy

I actually went to school in Calif with the gal that played Annie in the Movie production. Ironically, unlike myself, she was a brunet not a redhead.... It was a magnet school (smart ie talented school, not special needs school, incase you are wondering.)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts