·
Banned
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather related natural disasters?
Loss of a job or income?
Total Economic meltdown?
Martial Law?
General lawlessness/Without Rule of Law?
Or simply a sense of fulfillment?

For me, its a journey without a destination; a challenge somewhat. Being prepared is, to me, a part of living life of enjoyment. Being able to handle whatever event, or catastrophe, that one encounters.

Yes, weather is something that most of us have to deal with; storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, snow, ice, extreme heat etc. Loss of job or income is certainly another common thing, so having enough food, money, shelter and water to continue to survive is important.

What say you?

·
Registered
151 Posts
My desire to be prepared was formed as a kid listing to my great-aunt and grandmother talk about surviving the Great Depression on a Kansas wheat farm and Arkansas truck farm respectively. It was burned in by graduating into the "Savings & Loan" crisis and all of the recessions since then.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
My desire to be prepared was formed as a kid listing to my great-aunt and grandmother talk about surviving the Great Depression on a Kansas wheat farm and Arkansas truck farm respectively. It was burned in by graduating into the "Savings & Loan" crisis and all of the recessions since then.
Same here. I was raised by Preppers..its part of the DNA

·
Registered
20 Posts
The up and coming food shortages.
Things that make me wonder are the explosions, fires and airplanes that crash into food processing plants. Transportation issues such as cargo ships that cannot unload and passing stupid rules so truckers cannot move items across the country. Drought in areas of the country caused by geo-engineering making growing harder on farmers and ranchers losing their herds.
I ordered a hurricane lamp in addition to my oil lamp on the counter and more oil and wicks are in the plan.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I grew up being prepared. I just didn't know that's what it was called.

Having power outages was common. During the winter, snowstorms could knock the power out for a week or more. And summer wasn't much better. We always had weeks of food in the house. And a genny to run the well if necessary. We weren't going to be hurt to whatever came down the road.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My parents were always ready for whatever. I vividly remember Hurricane Carla. Bathtub, jugs, buckets filled with water (we had a well). A huge generator in the garage. Dad was the civil defense director in our town and had access to military equipment. We always had lots of food; Mom was a gardener extraordinaire. I never thought about it back then. It was just what we did.

I started seriously prepping when I moved to true winter country. Afraid I would be snowed in so stocked up on some canned goods. I laugh now; maybe a dozen cans of stuff, a couple of candles. I also started paying attention to what was happening in our world. I hit the ground running. I guess it was inspired by survival instinct? We were taught that you faced problems and did whatever it required to resolve them. No sissies allowed.

This is a good question. I hadn't really thought about it. Just did what I knew had to be done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My grandparents were intact depression survivors and thats where i spent my weekends. They could do everything and saw things that they never forgot. My grandmother often cut stories off with "...and that was just too bad" because she didn't need to finish them. Both shoved food at everybody who came by and never wasted anything. Respect for lifes natural horrors makes really good people that never stop until God stops them.
What bothers me a lot about old world coming back and the isolation for safety. Getting on by because there isn't anything you can do and people going back to "if ya don't weaken" who were never strong or saw a reason to be. That's going to be hard to look away from and you get no other choice.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Married, no kids, and did well financially the only reason to be prepared is to have when all have not. A lot of things I purchase now I honesty believe it’s for “others” that I’d want to help. Be it through church, sailing partners or clients I hope that I might be of some help to others.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My maternal grandparents. They didn’t get indoor plumbing nor bathroom until about a year and a half before JFK was assinated. He had a black lung pension and had a small truck farm. They would raise a pig and a calf for slaughter in the fall and a good portion of their produce was put up for later. When we visits my daily chore was dropping a bail into the well to fill the water containers in the kitchen. My grandfather emphasized to me just how important it was to live by the Scout Motto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All of the above reasons is why I prep..There is so much going on in the world right now. I just posted an article on my blog about all the farm land being bought up. Thousands of farm land has been purchased by the Chinese and Bill Gates. Whoever control the food controls the people.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Weather related natural disasters?
Loss of a job or income?
Total Economic meltdown?
Martial Law?
General lawlessness/Without Rule of Law?
Or simply a sense of fulfillment?

For me, its a journey without a destination; a challenge somewhat. Being prepared is, to me, a part of living life of enjoyment. Being able to handle whatever event, or catastrophe, that one encounters.

Yes, weather is something that most of us have to deal with; storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, snow, ice, extreme heat etc. Loss of job or income is certainly another common thing, so having enough food, money, shelter and water to continue to survive is important.

What say you?

It's the uncertainty. From economic breakdown to possibility of war, etc., It also helps stretch pension money should prices really go skyrocketing.
To know that at least there is something to see us through for a couple of years or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts