Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your go to ammo? I have always liked Winchester,Speer,Fiocchi and Barnes to name a few.. But the past few years I have become a HUGE fan of Dynamic Research Technology ammo. AKA DRTAmmo. It is a frangible round and probalby the best hunting and self defense round I have ever seen.. I know several years ago frangible rounds were kinda gimick rounds. DRT have made it where theirs also get great penetration. They use a compressed powder core that expands when it connects to soft tissue. It will do thru a windshield and not fragment UNTIL it hits soft tissue or something harder than the bullet itself. It is great for not having overpenetration too. You could shoot someone and it would not pass thru them.

I had a friend of mine and my brother tell me about them years ago and I was kinda leary. I bought some .223 to try out and have been a fan ever since. I have killed deer at several hundred yards with .223 with DRT and I would not even try it with other brands. Now I have it in .45,.223.308 and 300 win mag. I started buying their bullets and reloading my own now. EVERY weapon we own is loaded with DRT. It is a little on the expensive side so not really used for target practice but I would recommend it over ANY other ammo for hunting and self defense.. You would think that way I go on about it I am some type of advertisement for them. I am not!! It is just how much I like their stuff!! Check out soe videos and ask around. I have seen where people talk bad about them because they are frangible but have never used them so don't really know what they are sayin. I have used it and would recommend it to anyone!!My fiance keeps her .45 loaded with it and I want her to have the best! I posted a few videos from youtube, they are pretty good.

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
Unless I want to drive an hour into the city, or order online, I'm limited to Winchester and Remington, with a little Hornady for hunting rifles.
This is at the Ace Hardware in town.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I can see this turning into a which is better Ford or Chevy, Honestly I can not really tell a difference between one brand to the next, I just buy the cheapest rounds I can get.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see this turning into a which is better Ford or Chevy, Honestly I can not really tell a difference between one brand to the next, I just buy the cheapest rounds I can get.
I buy tons of cheap rounds too. I am just sayin for huntin and self defense, this is the best brand I have found for MYSELF.. Anyone can take it or leave it. It is just my opinion.. I don't really want the CHEAPEST rounds I can find in my EDC weapons though! Not sayin they wont work, they are just not the ones I want to trust my life with.. That's just me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, its all in what you want. As per the videos one is a through and through and the other break up inside you. Ideally in a self defense scenario you would want the latter as it would inflict the most damage. With ammo being the way it is now, sometimes hard to get, I agree with you mostly on the point of buying cheapest. Is it better to have 100 rounds of FMJ or 50 rounds of HP? When I hit you in the chest with .45 ACP it wont matter much which one it was.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like Lake City. As far as pistol self defense rounds I go with federal HST, in bulk they cost less than I can get cheapo HP's from any store around me.

And to go a little further, all the super duper rounds that people are coming out with anymore are mostly bells and whistles. A standard HP vs. super HP in the same caliber will have ballistics similar enough to not justify the high price tags I see.

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
Hunting deer you want thru and thru - leaves a nice blood trail to follow.
There is nothing wrong with Winchester Super X or Remington Core Locked.

Reactions: Renec

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hunting deer you want thru and thru - leaves a nice blood trail to follow.
There is nothing wrong with Winchester Super X or Remington Core Locked.
I would rather have them drop on contact than follow a blood trail.. I have killed at least 10 deer and elk with these rounds and have only had to track 1 of them. That was only about 150yrs...

This isn't a hollow point round. It is a frangible round. It is a compressed copper powder that "explodes" on contact with soft tissue. There is no ballistics that can be traced either!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Most times, online is the best way to go anymore..
I find this true if you have the money to buy bulk, but not so much in limited quantities for me. I have yet to find a business that can sell me rounds, with shipping, that is notably cheaper than I can find locally. It is ALWAYS the shipping that kills it for me.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
For self defense, I carry Hornady, Critical Defense in my pistols. For practice ammo, whatever is cheapest, I try to stay with brass ammo mostly, with some exceptions. Not trying to say Hornady is the best, just what I use. I will however take a look at DRTAmmo, sounds interesting.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I buy tons of cheap rounds too. I am just sayin for huntin and self defense, this is the best brand I have found for MYSELF.. Anyone can take it or leave it. It is just my opinion.. I don't really want the CHEAPEST rounds I can find in my EDC weapons though! Not sayin they wont work, they are just not the ones I want to trust my life with.. That's just me.
I guess it did not come out as elegant as I would have liked lol, I was at work when I posted that. I was not trying to be negative I was just multitasking a little to much. All is good

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Duty=Federal Hydrashok
Personal defense=Golden Saber
Home defense and duty 12 gauge=Federal Tactical 00 buck and slugs (I got a great deal on some Fiocchi slugs last week though)
Deer rifle=150 Grain Nosler ballistic tip Federal Vital Shok. (This is all that goes through my Parker Hale excellent stuff)
AK 47=cheap russian stuff
Duty AR 15=Hornady TAP and PMC Bronze for practice/qualifying (really any brass cased reloadable round)
Muzzle loader= Pyrodex pellets pushing .50 Hornady MZ sabots (talk about your double lung blood trail!)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I guess it did not come out as elegant as I would have liked lol, I was at work when I posted that. I was not trying to be negative I was just multitasking a little to much. All is good
No worries.. I have always liked certain brands of ammo myself. Especially for my rifles. It was hard to beat a SMK BTHP. I am the kind of person that has an open mind. If I have some ammo I think is great, I am still open to try something else. Just because what you have is great and works awesome. Doesn't mean there isn't something better out there. If someone told me about some ammo that was better than what I am using. You can better your happy white ass I would try it..I just know I have seen it in use and have not found anything YET that works better. It is the most evil ammo I have ever used!! I have shot deer,elk,antelope,coyote,prairie dog, a dog and even a cow with it..If you see a box in the store or something, pick it up and try it out for hunting..You will be glad you did! Until someone shows me something different, this is the best hunting/self defense round on the market IMO!

·
Registered
570 Posts
For rifle rounds, I've been very impressed by the Mk 318 and Mk 319 SOST rounds. Sadly, it seems like they're becoming harder and harder to find.

For pistol, my current favorite is Winchester Ranger Bonded/PDX-1. Great expansion on the bullet's I've recovered (water expansion), and excellent weight retention. If I try anything else, it would be the HST rounds.

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
I would rather have them drop on contact than follow a blood trail.. I have killed at least 10 deer and elk with these rounds and have only had to track 1 of them. That was only about 150yrs...

This isn't a hollow point round. It is a frangible round. It is a compressed copper powder that "explodes" on contact with soft tissue. There is no ballistics that can be traced either!!
I should have qualified my statement - here in the pine forest of North Florida/South Georgia a deer can disappear in 30 yards, lay down, and without a blood trail you may never find it. Unless you are set up over a clear-cut.

FWIW - although I enjoy the heck out of venison, my tour of duty in Vietnam spoiled me for hunting. So a good friend of mine gives me a deer each year and I in turn keep him supplied throughout the year with fresh eggs and produce. He handloads his own - he uses .270 Winchester. I may be wrong, but I believe he uses Barnes bullets.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can't say I have a favorite brand of ammo. In defensive ammo it's whatever passes the FBI standards and shoots well in my guns. For everything else it's reloads or in the case of my Com Block guns steel cased ammo (surplus for the x54R and Wolf for the x39). In my deer rifle I've yet to find a factory round comparable to my reloads although factory loads for the 6.5x55 Swede are few and far between.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should have qualified my statement - here in the pine forest of North Florida/South Georgia a deer can disappear in 30 yards, lay down, and without a blood trail you may never find it. Unless you are set up over a clear-cut.

FWIW - although I enjoy the heck out of venison, my tour of duty in Vietnam spoiled me for hunting. So a good friend of mine gives me a deer each year and I in turn keep him supplied throughout the year with fresh eggs and produce. He handloads his own - he uses .270 Winchester. I may be wrong, but I believe he uses Barnes bullets.
I know what ya mean about the thickets of Florida/Georgia.. I am from Florida and have had many leases in the bend/panhandle area.. It is hard to find places thicker than the Perry,Fl area! Great huntin too...

On a side note, I remember a bait shop in Perry that sold goldfish as "pets" back in the day.. They even had a sign for it out front.. For those that don't know, using goldfish for live bait is HIGHLY illegal.. And here was a BAIT SHOP selling goldfish! My brother and I walked in and there was I'll say a "heavyset girl" behind the counter. I asked her if they sold goldfish for real. She said "yup, they make good pets. and bait shhhh". I swear to this day she had a dip in her mouth too..Needless to say, we bought a dozen!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have less than a hundred "premium" rounds for my hunting and self-defense guns. As for stockpiling, I like the American Eagle brand put out by Federal. I also like CCI Mini-Mags and Maxi-Mags for .22 rounds. I have quite a few pmc brand for .223. I just can't bring myself to stock the very generic rounds for fear their quality and longevity isn't there.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Personally, . . . I prefer my ammo like my coffee, . . . make it myself.

Just got a new Hornady LNL/AP press, . . . soon as summer begins to quiet down, . . . those coffee cans of MT's will become coffee cans of reloaded rounds, . . . providing of course I can find enough components.

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 52 Posts