Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your range ammo of choice?
What is your personal Defense ammo of choice?

What kind of ammo have you wanted to buy, but just haven't for some unknown reason?

My range ammo is Tulammo, while a lot of people hate the steel case, I find that (and I planned it this way) it runs pretty flawlessly with all 4 of my major caliber of guns, 9mm, .40s&w, .223, and 7.62x39.

Personal Defense: I love the Winchester PDX1, stuff is great, and I also have a few boxes of the Hornady Zombie Max, which is the same as Hornady Critical Defense....but it's a buck cheaper a box around here.

A long while ago I bought a box, should I say a package, of 9mm Magsafe ammo. If you haven't looked into this brand, do it (magsafeonline.com). This stuff is EXPENSIVE, but cool! It's a pre-fragmented round, so it creates multiple wound cavities and is designed to not over penetrate. I think 8 rounds is like 20 some bucks, so I have my Beretta loaded every other PDX1 then a magsafe.

What do ya'll shoot?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Usually for my guns I try to buy brass, but for my SKS I buy solely steel casings. I figure if I clean it good, then what the heck. Also, I think the steel vs brass issue is overrated (again depends on how you clean the gun). Therefore I buy cheap sks ammo.

for my bushmaster, I buy brass, just because of habit and its about the same in .223 and 5.56. Usually walmart has the best deals, but folks I've been talking with say that ammoman.com has great prices plus free shipping. They say to look at the cost per round instead of the overall cost of the bullets.

Federal and winchester are two main brands I buy.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
you know, that's a question I couldn't answer. I shot so many different types, they all seem the same as me. I got some tula in the back, Winchester, federal, some chinese steel jacketed 7.62 in one of those sardine cans you have to cut open, (i want more of those) and my uncle used to reload ammo for me, custom grind the case mouths and all that, and damn if they didn't shoot the same as a stock box of tula. Go figure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I shoot what I can get. I have purchased ammo for my department for years. The Wolf and other steal case is very dirty but fire fine. The big complaint is the coating on the steel case melts and sticks the case to the chamber. The biggest issue is the different points of impact when you change ammo. That is why Mil Spec ammo is desirable. FPS is the same and so is bullet weight to keep point of impact consistent. For what I am buying I get what I can find cheap. Brass is preferred for reloading but I buy steal case at the right price and intent to us it in the area where I cant recover the casings. If I can keep a 4 moa at 100 Im fine with that. I am hording for combat not squirrels.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I load my own. 38, 45 ACP & Long Colt, .223, .40 S&W, .270

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense. I've found that their FPS varies considerably over the chrono, but I sure like that bullet design!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use Federal 100rd value pack 9mm and American Eagle .223 for the range. Both are good quality ammo, and neither has had a failure for me. Plus, they're the cheapest brass ammo in my area. I prefer brass in these calibers since the saving on steel is not as much as it is for 7.62, and I can save the brass for hand loading down the road.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P 9mm in my pistol and have Hornady TAP FPD 75gr .223 in my AR for home defense.

·
Banned
62 Posts
I reload, both practice and ccw ammo. The practice 9mm ammo is a hard cast 160 gr lrn, at about 750 fps from a 3" barrel. The carry ammo is mixed, every other rd being a prefrag of my own design, and a "piercer" also of my own design. Most of the time, I don't carry a spare mag for my pocket 9, because if you need to reload your handgun, you are probably going to die anyway. the ranges are too short, the enemy can "outflank" your cover in 1-2 seconds, at most, and he can shoot, stab or club you 4x per second, with each hand. So you simply must make the first 1 second and the first 5 shots suffice. Fortuanately, the great majority of attackers don't make you shoot at all, just showing them your ready gun runs them off. Even more are run off by misses, and poor hits, too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
All practice and hunting/self-defense are the same here. I reload everything I shoot but I get it that many don't. To me the reloading is "almost" as much fun as shooting it. I'm just getting ready to start casting my own boolits this winter after hunting season.

Only exception is shotgun which I shall tool up for over the next year. I don't shoot them that much but I do feel I should be prepared to build my own - just in case...

1895gunner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense for home use in my 9mm. Winchester PDX1 Defender for my AR in home defense. Winchester PDX1 Defender for my shotgun in home defense. CCI in all of my .22LR's and Remington in all of my guns for target/practice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP 9mm and bet my life on it multi times and it never let me down

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use home loaded full metal jackets for target shooting out of my Glock 36 .45ACP and my Virginian SAA in .45 Colt. Personal defense for people in the Glock is loaded every other Critical defense and Federal Hollow Points. SAA is Critical defense in city and Home loaded 250gr. Hollow points for out on the ranch. Those bears and cougars haven't stood a chance yet from my .45 Colt. Rifle is Federal FMJ's in my 30-06, and 30/30. Shotgun is just good ol slugs and double 00 from usually Federal or Winchester.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is a prepper forum right?
Well then I would buy the cheapest of ammo you can afford. Because in the end it is how much ammo you have not how good each of your bullets are. Chances are during a firefight you are spraying and praying. Even LEOs will tell you that with all their training the optimum senario almost always never happens. Remember back a couple of months ago some guy who got fired in New York New York near Times Square when back and shot his co workers? Well the two LEOs who saw him on the street fire back and most of their rounds are strays that hit pedestrain and such eventhough they were like 15 meter from the shooter.

So why buy bullets that cost 1 dollar per round while youc an buy rounds that cost 20 cents if most of those rounds are going to end up somewhere other than the person you are shooting at?

what i am saying is dont get all hype up on the supposive stopping power of a particular brand. Just make sure you have a healthy supply of good reliable ammuniition when you need it. Try not to buy ammo that dont work well with your gun. Stick with what works for you not what you read from someone who says it work well for their particular weapon. I wouls say buy some ammo go to the range with your firearm and shoot them. then decide which brand shoots better and then go buy a couple of thousands of that.

the name of the game is to survive and to survive you have to have more ammo than the other guy to outlast him in a firefight. So whatever budget you have stretch it good. dont waste on what the box claim it will do. If you put enough round on a living thing it will die. If you can place those rounds properly then you wont need so many rounds but chances are when you are in a firefight the target wont just be standing there for you to shoot. my two cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't disagree with most of your points. Just don't get confused with quantity over quality. Tula and Wolf work just fine for training, but their open packs don't store well with out extra care. and you are right, not every weapon will digest what the market tells you is the "BEST AMMO". I own some of the best Weapons on the market but they are picky with some ammo. Never the less, for folks on a budget (me included) 1K rounds of Tula for $209 vs. 1K of BVAC for $339 .....well lets just say the $209 beats throwing rocks. Good valid points Armyguy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts