Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I beat you by 9 days!
Things have changed here over the years.
Many good people have gone by the wayside in that time.
I’ve seen that in other forums I am in. The core group stays around. I love each and every one of those in the other main forum I am in. I’ve met them personally and formed lifelong bonds with them. I remain active on that forum, but there’s no new blood and very little prepping talk. I know we’ve all been at this for years, but we have to stay sharp. Situations change and we are forever learning and updating preps. That is why I’ve joined this forum. So this may be “home” for many of you, but I’m new and I think you have a great forum.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
OK. I finally found the FAQ for using the forum. Funny thing about finding it is that I had previously "liked" it.

I think it'll help those who are not comfortable with the change.

·
Administrator
15,633 Posts
I joined one of the first outdoor/prep/survival/veteran/etc forums on what was called the interweb back before Y2K.
Frugal Squirrels, maybe you've heard of it.
It changed hands sometime in the early 2000's, but it is still privately owned by the same person.
I am still a member there, still post.

Over the 22 years I have seen many come, many go, but there's still a core group.

Some of y'all might like to check it out. I'm the same screen name over there as here. I just checked my profile, I'm member #182.
Check it out - www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/forum

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have been recovering from the crud and working on the yard and plants. Trying to stock up more since things are getting way expensive in the stores. That is what my life has become, getting ready for lean times and cussing at the deer for eating my best plants.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
I have been recovering from the crud and working on the yard and plants. Trying to stock up more since things are getting way expensive in the stores. That is what my life has become, getting ready for lean times and cussing at the deer for eating my best plants.
Feel better!

I feel your pain about the sticker shock. Will be heading to WallyWorld and Piggly Wiggly in a bit. Taking several hundred dollar bills with me and expect to bring home dollar bills in change.

·
Administrator
15,633 Posts
But that’s why we’re here.
Because we believe in self sufficiency, being prepared for the unknown, to learn how to make do and do without.

Reactions: inceptor and Denton

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just my humble opinion. If a forum like this is to continue to serve its original purpose, it needs to attract new members. Otherwise, it simply becomes a social media platform for the old timers. That is one of the reasons I came here. I may have been doing this preparedness thing for a long time, but I am forever wanting to improve and learn. I know from other forums that it only takes one old timer who is full of himself and maybe not a very happy person to run off new people. I guess it keeps the status quo, but it prevents new ideas from being introduced. This forum has been around for quite a while (just like a couple other forums I’m a member of) and I’ve seen the same thing. I’d love to share what I’ve learned with new people and in turn, maybe get some new ideas. It’s hard to learn from the same people you’ve been interacting with for years.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Personally I would like everyone's opinion on the one food you should stock the most of besides meat which I can't afford and find hard to store. Hit me with you best options, we are not fussy eaters. Oh, on a different note. I bottled my dandelion mead and have to say I am really liking how it turned out, tart sweet flavor. Give it a few months and it will be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
9,965 Posts
Personally I would like everyone's opinion on the one food you should stock the most of besides meat which I can't afford and find hard to store. Hit me with you best options, we are not fussy eaters. Oh, on a different note. I bottled my dandelion mead and have to say I am really liking how it turned out, tart sweet flavor. Give it a few months and it will be awesome.
It seems some like to store premade food. I never much liked that so my FD/dehydrated food storage is the ingredients. I have cans of carrots, onions, green beans, etc. Somehow I did end up with 2 #10 cans of chicken with rice but all the rest is just ingredients to make stuff. I also found a good dehydrated soup mix at North Bay Trading Co. I wait until something there is on sale before I get it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Almost all of mine are also dehydrated meal kits and staples. We like rice and beans so I have a ton of that and seasoning and I have a lot of potatoes and vegetables. I have been studying foraging and we have been experimenting with eating some things I found in my yard high in vitamins but truthfully I am not fond of most of it, but in a pinch I know which ones are eatable. I figure meat and eggs unless I can get a critter proof chicken pen built on my limited income will be something we will miss, unless we take up hunting. I use to love rabbit and pheasant but haven't had them in years and I limit fish because of the toxins. The one freeze dry food I buy is meat and egg products and cheese. The rest I can make myself.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I see one of the new kids was angered having to undergo our forum's required "two pound enema" to prove strength and obedience. Yikes, fortune favors the brave, and remember, we had to lower the original skill set from a "seven pound enema."

Kids. They cry facing an escaping new balloon and their moms won't pick them up after a binding of deep bare steel...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just my humble opinion. If a forum like this is to continue to serve its original purpose, it needs to attract new members. Otherwise, it simply becomes a social media platform for the old timers. That is one of the reasons I came here. I may have been doing this preparedness thing for a long time, but I am forever wanting to improve and learn. I know from other forums that it only takes one old timer who is full of himself and maybe not a very happy person to run off new people. I guess it keeps the status quo, but it prevents new ideas from being introduced. This forum has been around for quite a while (just like a couple other forums I’m a member of) and I’ve seen the same thing. I’d love to share what I’ve learned with new people and in turn, maybe get some new ideas. It’s hard to learn from the same people you’ve been interacting with for years.
It's been my experience over the years we learn from each other through the stories they tell us, and if anyone learns just one thing from a tale, it was worth the read. Everyone learns in a different way. Some by doing, others by reading, and it matters not how you learn, but that you learn something. If each person who believes in prepping sticks to the bare basics, you won't go wrong. Build a survival library, find a BOL and stock it, make sure you stay as fit as you can manage, have enough food to get you through at least six months on hand, read, and read some more, etc, etc. We all know these things and abide by them. I've been a practicing survivalist, (prepper) since 1964 and never fail to learn some small bit of information that I believe might help me someday. That is why I come to forums such as this one, and I never have the attitude I know it all. I don't and never will but I'm light years ahead of many. I know I can survive if things take a turn. I taught my sons and daughters as well. Prepping is sort of like having an insurance policy on life. We buy into it hoping we never have to use it, but it is there if we do.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,701 Posts
I still visit but don't log in as much. Still lots of good info on here though.

Is Slippy really banned?
We're seeing a lot of new folks spurred on by the Russian invasion, inflation, and general lack of confidence in the direction the world is headed.

Slippy received a 1 year ban back in June/July. It'll be up to him if he wants to return at that time.

Reactions: SRU Viper
41 - 60 of 66 Posts