Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Gunboards, of which I am a long time member, certainly didn't go PC during the refurb.
Nor did Marlin Owners, where I am a plank owner.
I haven't found one of theirs yet. And that includes at least 50 that I belong to.

Here we are simply enforcing rules that have always been in place. And for one reason or another had been forgotten.
I understand, and I certainly don't fault anyone for enforcing the rules. What I do know is that rules can get in the way of a board's growth if enforced in the wrong way, and some rules can be ignored to a certain extent, depending on how polite members are. That's the most important thing. No topic should be off the table, and discussions should be civil.
Old friend, I don't feel comfortable talking about this in the open and I'm sure you understand why. I appreciate the discussion, though.

·
Administrator
15,633 Posts
I understand, and I certainly don't fault anyone for enforcing the rules. What I do know is that rules can get in the way of a board's growth if enforced in the wrong way, and some rules can be ignored to a certain extent, depending on how polite members are. That's the most important thing. No topic should be off the table, and discussions should be civil.
Old friend, I don't feel comfortable talking about this in the open and I'm sure you understand why. I appreciate the discussion, though.
I didn't know there were any topics that were off the table.
Everything hinges on what manner they are expressed.
Your posts are an example of the right way to express things.

While others seem to be deliberately trying to provoke a response.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
I didn't know there were any topics that were off the table.
Everything hinges on what manner they are expressed.
Your posts are an example of the right way to express things.

While others seem to be deliberately trying to provoke a response.
We are old. You are older. Much, much, and MUCH older. :D
Regardless, we remember a time when civility was the rule of the day.
I think this says something about society.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Seem to have detected a slide toward the PC side of the scale but then at times things seem normal. I'm as confused as a goose in a hail storm.
Here's the thing. Who owns this board?
Oh, I know VS "owns" the board, but where are those people? I don't see the owners posting. They buy boards and make $$$ off ads.
The members own the board. We discuss topics. We share thoughts, ideas and opinions. WE determine the direction. Without us, there is no board; just a site owned by someone/company who need us.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Sounds like my Daddy about growing old aint for sissies..but he he did always qualify it by saying "but it beats dying young." That should cheer up some worthless old sinners around here.

·
Super Moderator
9,965 Posts
I left one of the other boards awhile back since the new rules were asinine. I have issues playing nice when my freedoms are restricted for no good reason other than someones income stream from advertising is threatened by my posts.
The only freedom restricted here is the use of foul language. If being PC were the standard, most of us would have been banned a long time ago.

·
Administrator
15,633 Posts
I left one of the other boards awhile back since the new rules were asinine. I have issues playing nice when my freedoms are restricted for no good reason other than someones income stream from advertising is threatened by my posts.
The rules here today are the same as they have always been.
I've been a member here since the board was only two months old, so I can say this with confidence.
I have also seen this board change ownership at least three times. And the rules did not change.

Reactions: Kauboy and inceptor

·
Super Moderator
9,965 Posts
The rules here today are the same as they have always been.
I've been a member here since the board was only two months old, so I can say this with confidence.
I have also seen this board change ownership at least three times. And the rules did not change.
He and Denton only beat me by a few months. I can attest to the same.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
I'm only a member of one other forum. It uses the same software as this one.
I have been a member there since 2005.
People come and people go. We've had some talented craftsman supply great advice for many years and then all of a sudden...poof...gone.

It's the nature of the beast.

·
Administrator
15,633 Posts
Not by much

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Just the opposite for me.
IMO only, the new site is much easier to navigate, post and keep track of things.
I agree.
I was a big proponent for the change from the get-go. It got rid of all those annoying bugs that plagued the old site.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts