Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I found this site while looking around: Sun Tzu's Art of War Playbook
How useful do you think the skills you can learn from it can be in surviving in a disaster or SHTF scenario?

I don't plan on buying it right off the bat, I need to save up money. However, I do plan on learning what I can from it from different sites about it and I am wondering if it is just a waste of time.

It seems really interesting and useful to me though, but I am inexperienced in survival stuff so I am looking for more experienced people opinions.

·
Super Moderator
9,730 Posts
You can probably find the entire book online for free.

As for the book, you could most likely learn a thing or two from it.

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
Thought you were gong to bed for the night?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I love the part where the Emperor asks him to make an effective fighting force of his concubines. The Emperor laughs and says "If you can turn this giggling group of concubines into an effective fighting force, you can be the General of my Armies. So Tsun Tzu sets about selecting two leaders and gives them clear and concise instructions and says that he will return in two weeks time to check on their progress.

When he returns the two concubines he put in charge were giggling and laughing holding their swords like playthings. He told them that he put them in charge and gave them clear and concise instructions and they failed. They just smiled at him. Those smiles remained on their faces as he decapitated them each with their own sword in front of the other concubines. He handed the swords to two other concubines and said "You are now in charge" and repeated the same set of instructions. Whe he returned the concubines were forged into an effective and highly trained fighting force.

Motivation baby!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Motivation baby!
So that is what it is called, . . . and that's how it works.

Yeah, . . . have not read the work, . . . but sounds like he was a "No BS" type individual.

And while that was extremely drastic, . . . sometimes drastic times require drastic measures.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
Recommended reading that is relevant to many aspects of life, not only war, but human nature, business, Etc. I also would recommend The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli in the same mold.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Sun Tzu was a bright and articulate leader. Ruthless in his approach to victory. His stratagems and explainations are timeless.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
United State Marine Corps - Commandant's Professional Reading List
Sun Tzu was a bright and articulate leader. Ruthless in his approach to victory. His stratagems and explainations are timeless.
Recommended reading that is relevant to many aspects of life, not only war, but human nature, business, Etc. I also would recommend The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli in the same mold.

From what I am gathering. It sucks that I did not find this book earlier and been studying it. Well then, I know what I am going to spend my time on. Thank you Sasquatch for warning me before I paid for it, and thank you Prepared One for the other book suggestion

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,072 Posts
I love the part where the Emperor asks him to make an effective fighting force of his concubines. The Emperor laughs and says "If you can turn this giggling group of concubines into an effective fighting force, you can be the General of my Armies. So Tsun Tzu sets about selecting two leaders and gives them clear and concise instructions and says that he will return in two weeks time to check on their progress.

When he returns the two concubines he put in charge were giggling and laughing holding their swords like playthings. He told them that he put them in charge and gave them clear and concise instructions and they failed. They just smiled at him. Those smiles remained on their faces as he decapitated them each with their own sword in front of the other concubines. He handed the swords to two other concubines and said "You are now in charge" and repeated the same set of instructions. Whe he returned the concubines were forged into an effective and highly trained fighting force.

Motivation baby!
That's one of my favorite parts too.

My copy is on the back of the porcelain throne, and is thumbed through at leisure on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

My copy is on the back of the porcelain throne, and is thumbed through at leisure on a regular basis.
Hopefully daily.... Good health...

·
Super Moderator
9,730 Posts

I've had a few "wars" in that room myself. I added more fiber so I'm good to go now.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Why is it that every time we get an interesting thread started in this forum it devolves right into poop?

I keep lots of things in the bathroom, including a shotgun. You never know and I seem to be spending alot more time in there these days. Is that normal?

Reactions: SGG

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
PDF versions

Here is the book on PDF. I also attached Mao Tse Tung on Guerrilla Warfare. Translated by General Griffith (Ret.) He let the Marine Corp make a field manual out of it. I own the civilian book on it. Its pretty good and gives very sound advice on waging guerilla warfare.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts