Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's good to have two water filters seeing as how important clean drinking water is. Also two firesteels, atleast two knives, and two pairs of socks since there easily lost, broken or worn out. Every ounce can count though on your body over distance. What do you think is worth having double of?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree, double water filters, firesteels, knives, socks, etc. I also carry more than one flashlight (I love flashlights lol), for different uses, two disposable lighters, and two pairs of gloves. The way I see it, if I have to hoof it with my pack and have to reduce weight, I can ditch any duplicates or anything "frivolous", but if I can spare the weight/space, it's all things that are worth it. I was brought up hearing "It's better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have" from my dad constantly lol

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
garbage bags, great for keeping things dry in a rain storm you could do an entire thread on uses of garbage bags out doors. Also zip lock bags, you can put your pistol in one in the rain and holster it and shoot through it if needed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Two knives, check. Three if you count the multi-tool!
3 different fire starters(lighter, matches, firesteel) 2 different tinders. (dry lint in a water tight container and chemical pellets)
2 flashlights, 1 has an infrared filter that can be attached.
2 methods of water purification, filter and Iodine tablets
Ditto for good wool socks! spend the money for good ones here!
3 different water containers
Duplicate maps, ok not really duplicates but either one would be sufficient.
I consider poncho/garbagebags/space blankets to already be duplicates.
Duplicate hats, and duplicate sun/safety glasses

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting stuff. Seems some of you carry things I don't. Like garbage bags and emergency blankets. I have a poncho/tarp that can cover me and my pack while moving, but had been thinking about adding on another as it one of those essential shelter items when you're not looking to build one and be on the move fast or save energy. In that aspect I don't really see carrying the garbage bags. For blankets I pack a usgi poncho liner and Recon 3 sleeping bag. Plus cold weather top. Doubling up on water containers is one I do also with a usgi canteen/cup and a water bladder. It's the not as hard to find stuff I don't think I will, but I've been pondering whether I should carry an extra compass. Never hurts to more 550 to me too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, unfortunately I have very terrible eyesight, and it's been getting progressively worse as I get older. Just bad luck for me, but luckily with glasses my eyesight is almost 20/20. I have an extra set of glasses in my bob, but I have to update them every 1-1 1/2 years, which isn't very cheap.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If you have bad eye sight you may want to see about Lasik eye surgery most places will give you a free evaluation. It is by far the best money I have ever spent. Since I was using bifocals I went with mono-vision and it is great not needing any type of corrective lens. 20/15 eyesight without lenses is a great advantage when shooting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have looked into lasik, I hope to get it sometime within the next year or two. I've had glasses since I was a little kid, it would be so weird (but wonderful) without them. I actually require 2 pairs of glasses, one for within 5 feet (not reading glasses, though), and one for distance. Because in s SHTF scenario, if my glasses get broken beyond repair or lost, I'd be worse than useless lol

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have two of everything. I have two BOBs set up.

I have one for me and one for my wife. Hers is 9mm and 5.56; mine is .45 ACP and 7.62.

I can carry both (carry handles) and can even pack both on my person.

It is a trick I learned from an Army Ranger - reverse the back pack and carry it against your chest.

It looks kinda goofy, but it works. If one person gets injured, you need to be able to carry their load.

One of the best survival tricks I ever learned, actually.

Try it out for yourself....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm lucky enough to have pretty good vision. Most of my family wears glasses and I was prescribed them as a kid. I hated wearing them though at that age in my preteens, right when I was getting into girls and so worried about how I looked. I took them off and kept working on making my eyes focus and eventually they got better. That may sound weird, but it's the truth and now I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other. I'm tested yearly too. If I wore glasses though, having 2 pairs would definitely be smart. I wonder about sunglasses, but I often don't wear them at all. My current pair though, a pair of BOLLE wraparounds are dying on me that I would bring along so it's time to buy a new pair. A person needs eye protection from heavy winds and particles getting in your eyes and for shooting and fighting.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have two of everything. I have two BOBs set up.

I have one for me and one for my wife. Hers is 9mm and 5.56; mine is .45 ACP and 7.62.

I can carry both (carry handles) and can even pack both on my person.

It is a trick I learned from an Army Ranger - reverse the back pack and carry it against your chest.

It looks kinda goofy, but it works. If one person gets injured, you need to be able to carry their load.

One of the best survival tricks I ever learned, actually.

Try it out for yourself....
I've done it, but it's a heavy load and wears you out fast. If I had to carry someone elses pack, I've have to ask whether we should just hold out for a while till they heal, finding a good spot to make camp.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
2 pairs of socks for sure
2 pairs of undies for sure
2 clips at least for each gun
2 flashlights, good comments
2 extra sets of batteries for each item that needs them
2 extra days rations that you currently have.
2 knives
2 gold eagles
4 trash bags, seriously they are invaluable for the weight.
2 hand warmers... ok it is a luxury but I still carry them for those "crap I am going to freeze to death" situations.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 pairs of socks for sure

2 pairs of undies for sure

2 clips at least for each gun
2 flashlights, good comments
2 extra sets of batteries for each item that needs them
2 extra days rations that you currently have.
2 knives
2 gold eagles
4 trash bags, seriously they are invaluable for the weight.
2 hand warmers... ok it is a luxury but I still carry them for those "crap I am going to freeze to death" situations.
What? Underwear? Who wears that?

Commando for the commando. :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
All depends on where you live and the climate. In the south we'd reduce some things and increase others. I also re-sort various items as the weather changes from damn hot to hot and just right during the winter.

What I do carry two of is TP. Trust me, when it runs out, you'll wish you had 4 rolls.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts