Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the title explains it all but what do you think is the most popular hunting rifle.
An example is when i think of shot guns i think of the Remington 870.

-Anthony

·
Registered
206 Posts
Probably, in America, a 30-30 levergun of some sort ... Winchester or Marlin. Or, at least, I believe 30-30 has probably taken more North American game than any other rifle in history.

I may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
For many years it was the lever action 30-30 but I betting that may have changed by now.
Just as for years the 30.06 was king but has faded slowly as the US military switched to 308.
Problem with that now days is look at shot guns there are how many version of the same gun now.
Mossberg has done a lot of catching up to the 870 both come in to many version to count now.
Rifles just to many versions of them anymore.
Rem 700 Ruger 77 are both very high in numbers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think this really varies on which part of the country You are in.Some areas are Shotgun only,so I'd say Rem 870.Some are lever rifles,so I'd say a toss up with Marlin,and win in 30/30,and some are bolt which could be Rem,Win,savage and probably in 30-06.There are many,many really popular rifles,cartridges,and game situations so it's hard to say for sure.I use"as issued"M1 rifles in 30-06,or M14 type in .308 for Deer and Antelope.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the Remington 700, would have to be the most sold.
Most custom guns are made off of the 700 action.
Probably the most consistent out of the box accuracy.

The Winchester 1894 would have to creep up right behind the 700.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would guess the .30-30 would be the most popular. That's only a guess. Nearly every company has or is making a .30-30 lever rifle.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't really know and really never gave it much thought before. Just guessing though the 30-30 is probably close to the top in the US followed by the 30-06 or 308. I like lever guns and have two a 45 Colt 1892 Winchester clone and a 45-70 with a scope mount. Both are excellent for game of all sizes with the 45 Colt up to deer and the 45-70 any creature roaming the planet regardless.

As for shotguns a 12 ga and 20 ga side by side are the only shotguns I own now but have owned both Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 pumps in the past.

·
Administrator
15,106 Posts
Over 6,000,000 Winchester Model 94 lever action rifles were made before production ceased in 2006 in Connecticut. They are being made once more by the company in Japan that also makes Brownings. So obviously someone wants to buy them.
I do not know how this compares number wise to Remington 700, but these two rifles have to be at the top of the list.
Every serious rifleman should own a Winchester 94.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
As of 2008 Ar 15 that does not cover pre 1986 versions account for 22% of ALL rifle sales

·
Administrator
15,106 Posts
topic was hunting rifles. While AR sales are very high, how many are used for hunting?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
topic was hunting rifles. While AR sales are very high, how many are used for hunting?
All of them that is why we have them. AR's in .223 and 5.56 are legal here for deer and used.
I do remember a study in the late 70's that if you took all the brand names together the lever 30-30 was most common. But we had a lot of years sense then I have seen no real study on it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A good number of deer are taken in Missouri with 'em. Great varmit rifle around here to.

·
Registered
207 Posts
.30-'06 or .308, probably a Remington model 70 or 700 and their variants.
Model 70s are NOT Remington , try Winchester , and they are overall a better rifle than the 700. And insofar as it goes a Savage will give you more per dollar spent and is far easier for the home armorer/hotrodder to work with.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Over 6,000,000 Winchester Model 94 lever action rifles were made before production ceased in 2006 in Connecticut. They are being made once more by the company in Japan that also makes Brownings. So obviously someone wants to buy them.
I do not know how this compares number wise to Remington 700, but these two rifles have to be at the top of the list.
Every serious rifleman should own a Winchester 94.
Actually there is a 92 clone out there about 1/3 stronger than the 94 action made by Rossi. It is what I have an often load 45 Colts to the level of 454 Casull loads and it handles them with out a whimper. Oh and Marlin now Remington also make a 94 model action gun.

·
Registered
436 Posts
All of them that is why we have them. AR's in .223 and 5.56 are legal here for deer and used.
I do remember a study in the late 70's that if you took all the brand names together the lever 30-30 was most common. But we had a lot of years sense then I have seen no real study on it.
I've also see a few in 308 on the AR platform which would be an excellent hunting rifle. My only problem with the AR platform is how complicated it is to work on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
5 MILLION Remington 700's sold in the United States alone! Caliber though would have to be .308 or 30-30 for most sold I think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts