Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mini truck.jpg

So, I got a little side cash and I figured it's time for an upgrade to my ATV. It's still running good and all, just want something....different. the atv gets little use now (though today I'm definitely feeling my feet) and I got looking around.

No polaris. I am NOT giving you 14,000 dollars for a mid sized ATV. I'm just not. BUT I have had my eyes on these things for some years. it would actually be smaller than my trailer and take up less room. Has a cab, a/c it's 4x4. 660cc engine 3cyl, 900lb payload 1700lb towing capacity the bed folds into a flatbed, radio heat and room for extras like lights cb etc.

I think it could be a lot of fun and get some fairly serious work done. somewhere between a side by side and a gator? People live by them in japan. My mechanic bill could work on it, it's just a honda. Parts apparently are easy to come by on ebay. most of it is CR-V and civic stuff.

what you think?

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
View attachment 106517

So, I got a little side cash and I figured it's time for an upgrade to my ATV. It's still running good and all, just want something....different. the atv gets little use now (though today I'm definitely feeling my feet) and I got looking around.

No polaris. I am NOT giving you 14,000 dollars for a mid sized ATV. I'm just not. BUT I have had my eyes on these things for some years. it would actually be smaller than my trailer and take up less room. Has a cab, a/c it's 4x4. 660cc engine 3cyl, 900lb payload 1700lb towing capacity the bed folds into a flatbed, radio heat and room for extras like lights cb etc.

I think it could be a lot of fun and get some fairly serious work done. somewhere between a side by side and a gator? People live by them in japan. My mechanic bill could work on it, it's just a honda. Parts apparently are easy to come by on ebay. most of it is CR-V and civic stuff.

what you think?
Leon,

Can't find too many Cons about that little truck especially for around the farm etc.

Pros;

A/C-WOW! "Nuff Said here in the south!
900lb payload-decent and comparable to the UTV's
Same with towing

Cons (for me)
I'm 6'4" and there is no way in hell I'm squeezing myself in that little cab and enjoying it. Probably good for a little fella like you.

Keep us posted on the results!

But since you asked, I've been saving my money for a Bobcat Toolcat! I need something with a little more HP (60HP in the Toolcat) and a little more towing (4000lbs in the Toolcat) and more front end loader capacity than my tractor (Toolcat has 2000lb)

One day, one day. This I shit you not...:vs_peace:

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
What is it classed as in you state. Here in many areas ATV's can be operated on public roads. But if some like that can be licensed for public road use you then must register it and put plates on it and insurance all the thing you do for a normal car or truck.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is it classed as in you state. Here in many areas ATV's can be operated on public roads. But if some like that can be licensed for public road use you then must register it and put plates on it and insurance all the thing you do for a normal car or truck.
Yeah it's kind of iffy here, the seller says you can tag and insure it, yet others say you can't. But you CAN if you can justify it being for farm use? I could argue yes I farm stuff (whatever amount of bean sprouts I got in the garden) and put a warning triangle on the headache rack? That's how I see most the american ones on youtube. So technically with my insurance, orange reflector triangle on the back and license in pocket I can drive it up to the corner store to gas it up.

Or can you? On a federal level no. State yes. But like in states where you can drive them it's on roads 55 or less and the car actually stands as a classic because it's of such an age. There is a guy I see all the time run his kubota utv up the road his has the triangle. I drive my atv up the shoulder but I go the same way. This thing could drive up the shoulder, that shoulder runs fairly flat for a good long ways either way. If I drive it on the shoulder there's nothing anyone can do. It's like a told a cop one time who stopped me for riding there are no laws regulating driving atv's on the shoulder. None. I had my helmet on there was nothing he could do. He was fairly surprised when it was true. But another cop I asked, larry he said hell yes you can drive it with tag and insurance he sees amish driving goddamn horses and buggies on the highway- again, with an orange triangle on the back. Freeway still off limits.

I guess what constitutes a 'farm' or agricultural property is a broad term.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Yeah it's kind of iffy here, the seller says you can tag and insure it, yet others say you can't. But you CAN if you can justify it being for farm use? I could argue yes I farm stuff (whatever amount of bean sprouts I got in the garden) and put a warning triangle on the headache rack? That's how I see most the american ones on youtube. So technically with my insurance, orange reflector triangle on the back and license in pocket I can drive it up to the corner store to gas it up.

Or can you? On a federal level no. State yes. But like in states where you can drive them it's on roads 55 or less and the car actually stands as a classic because it's of such an age. There is a guy I see all the time run his kubota utv up the road his has the triangle. I drive my atv up the shoulder but I go the same way. This thing could drive up the shoulder, that shoulder runs fairly flat for a good long ways either way. If I drive it on the shoulder there's nothing anyone can do. It's like a told a cop one time who stopped me for riding there are no laws regulating driving atv's on the shoulder. None. I had my helmet on there was nothing he could do. He was fairly surprised when it was true. But another cop I asked, larry he said hell yes you can drive it with tag and insurance he sees amish driving goddamn horses and buggies on the highway- again, with an orange triangle on the back. Freeway still off limits.

I guess what constitutes a 'farm' or agricultural property is a broad term.
I have no idea about your state. A check with your DOT would likely give you the answer. In most state if it can be licensed for road use and you do not operate it on a public road all is good ride it around on private land all you wish. But the second you set foot on a public road it comes under their authority and you will pay. ATV's can not be licensed . In some states if it can be licensed and you do not because you use it on private land and are caught on a public road you can be forced to pay for plates from the day you purchased it. They treat it as you have been doing it all along. In many states driving anything on the shoulder is a no go.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Around here it's pretty rural with the occasional farm tractor on the road. ATVs and UTVs are generally allowed on the road for short distances, less than about about 2-3 miles. But if you're in one of the small local towns you'll need a helmet if you're on an ATV.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Two years ago they opened up many roads to ATV's. Speed limited to 35mph under 18 helmet required . Limit short use of the shoulder on state roads to get to another road . It has worked well so far no real problems. I support the move. You can run all over the place if you figure out the routes. Not uncommon to have a group of 5-10 come riding by. Lot of older people.
That said. get caught with a vehicle that would normally be licensed as a Motor vehicle. You better have have some cash in the bank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Atv's and UTV's are legal to drive on the roads & highways and in the cities. Need turn & brake lights, tags, insurance. Looks to be more room in that little cabover than there is in my Rhino and I'm 6'2" and I fit in the Rhino pretty well. How much do they cost? Who makes them?

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Many "rural" states have laws that allow 'off-road' vehicles on public roads even when they're not insured, plated, registed and have no lights. They may be restricted solely to farm or agricultural use when on the road, but it would be allowed.

No farmers around me have plates, brake lights etc. when they're running their tractors, combines and other machinery down the road. Just the orange "Slow Moving Vehicle" sign on the back is all they need.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Leon,

Can't find too many Cons about that little truck especially for around the farm etc.

Pros;

A/C-WOW! "Nuff Said here in the south!
900lb payload-decent and comparable to the UTV's
Same with towing

Cons (for me)
I'm 6'4" and there is no way in hell I'm squeezing myself in that little cab and enjoying it. Probably good for a little fella like you.

Keep us posted on the results!

But since you asked, I've been saving my money for a Bobcat Toolcat! I need something with a little more HP (60HP in the Toolcat) and a little more towing (4000lbs in the Toolcat) and more front end loader capacity than my tractor (Toolcat has 2000lb)

One day, one day. This I shit you not...:vs_peace
Damn, that is cool!! I didn't know that even existed!! What do those mofos (don't ban me, Denton :tango_face_smile:) go for, with the options?

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
Damn, that is cool!! I didn't know that even existed!! What do those mofos (don't ban me, Denton :tango_face_smile:) go for, with the options?
Steve,

They are not cheap. $45K is probably the MSRP now with $42K being the potential. Used is pretty hard to find but I have some time so I've been looking. For a VS. scenario, a new 50HP Modern Diesel Tractor w/4WD, Enclosed cab w/AC, etc will probably cost about $40K without the capabilities of the Toolcat. Would love to find an older model 50+HP tractor but they are hard to find.

I was in Jackson, WY for my Sons wedding a couple of years ago and had some time to kill so I was driving around and the Jackson, WY city maintenance department had a fleet of them outside in their lot. I drove in and the maintenance shop manager happened to be their and did a better job than any sales rep selling me on the features and benefits of this BEAST.

It would definitely be my forever gift from me to me!

But like I told one of my sons earlier today on the phone, my wish list is probably longer and more expensive than his!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I looked at getting one built out like this one from this company a while back https://www.nipponimports.net/vehicles/2019/3/3/1990-honda-acty-sdx-4x4. It was not going to cost to much and it would be handy to have for doing projects around the ranch and even go on some small adventures with. Had a friend who made a mobile mechanics shop out of the back of one of these. He would tow it to area then drive it out into the job site to repair heavy equipment on fire-roads desert roads and ranches. He said it was so light even with all his tools he could get almost anywhere. After that I wanted one for the ranch.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Atv's and UTV's are legal to drive on the roads & highways and in the cities. Need turn & brake lights, tags, insurance. Looks to be more room in that little cabover than there is in my Rhino and I'm 6'2" and I fit in the Rhino pretty well. How much do they cost? Who makes them?
Actually it's got a cool story behind it. Daihatsu is toyota. Honda and suzuki use their names. Scrum brand is mazda and mitsubishi makes the delica. They are are super similar because they are adhering to the japanese KEI standard of vehicles, which have to be tiny and are allowed up to 660cc. People don't realize the suzuki sidekick is a KEI truck. they make cars like that too look up autozam AZ-1 it's the worlds smallest supercar. IN japan you get a big tax bonus if you use one instead of a big car.

Funny enough too in japan you have to get yearly stringent tests to your car and it has to pass inspection. Literally if you break down you are committing an offense they will arrest you for. Yes, it's illegal to break down in japan. I won't have to worry about one straight out of japan being owned by cleetus who likes to mud it and break it.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at getting one built out like this one from this company a while back https://www.nipponimports.net/vehicles/2019/3/3/1990-honda-acty-sdx-4x4. It was not going to cost to much and it would be handy to have for doing projects around the ranch and even go on some small adventures with. Had a friend who made a mobile mechanics shop out of the back of one of these. He would tow it to area then drive it out into the job site to repair heavy equipment on fire-roads desert roads and ranches. He said it was so light even with all his tools he could get almost anywhere. After that I wanted one for the ranch.
Yeah they are quite neat and utilitarian as hell. There's a guy on youtube has one that is pretty well geared out, it does some impressive work. He has mini, it's a lifted Daihatsu Hijet and "dumpy" it's a Suzuki Carry with a dump bed. I'm planning on doing mine (if I pull the trigger) as a BOV with a genny, tent hammock chainsaw holder tools and all that. It has to have cold AC though or it's a deal breaker.

·
Administrator
14,696 Posts
Not legal for "highway use" in Florida.

ATV's are left up to each county. In mine, there were so many young kids getting hurt, and hurt badly, that they are banned from all roadways, and all road right of ways (shoulders).
Can be ridden on private property only.

Reactions: 65mustang
1 - 18 of 18 Posts