Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I am so glad that so far I am not a diabetic. Both my parents were but then both my parents were dead by my age, years before my age. I am glad you manage it well. I would think the majority of patients in our wound care clinic were diabetics, its nothing to mess with.

I don’t really do well in management, it’s more like me running into walls, and braining myself. And for a time, I stop eating myself into a casket.

The only thing that comes close to taming my diabetes is to go berserk, on a bike or walking. I have no self control when I go into a restaurant, and I eat like a bear. I can’t seem to help it.

When I am out in the Sun, and working out, I burn up a bucket load of energy and calories.

Reactions: Megamom134

·
Registered
Staying alive
449 Posts
I'm definitely at the point that I need to get myself back in shape. I still ride my bike and dirt bike with my son every chance I get but I really let myself go since quitting smoking a couple years ago.

Before that I was eating healthy and working out at the gym for 1-2 hours 7 days a week. I stopped going and since my son has been doing his school work from home for the past year I never got back to it.

Back to fully open school next week thank god. Time to stop drinking soda and lose the 60 lbs I gained.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm definitely at the point that I need to get myself back in shape. I still ride my bike and dirt bike with my son every chance I get but I really let myself go since quitting smoking a couple years ago.

Before that I was eating healthy and working out at the gym for 1-2 hours 7 days a week. I stopped going and since my son has been doing his school work from home for the past year I never got back to it.

Back to fully open school next week thank god. Time to stop drinking soda and lose the 60 lbs I gained.
Work out 2x a week with anaerobic and once with aerobic if you want muscle, and reverse that to trim weight.
You will have to do a lot of aerobic to lose 60 pounds though. I need to lose 50 pounds myself, and I am doing tons of aerobic. So far without much luck, because I eat like a horse. And I have been trapped in that cycle for 10 years, so it’s looking pretty dismal for losing weight.

Reactions: Nick

·
Registered
210 Posts
Um... Well I tote 5 kiddos around all day and I bend over a lot. 🤣 ;) Other than that the hubby and I get away for backpacking every once in a while.
Not the fittest gal you ever seen but I can be on my feet for 16 hours a day without sitting down. Hope that counts for something.😂😂
On a more serious note my brother is ex-military and he is doing 15 miles a day of walking and ten swimming. He does pushups whenever he isn't doing something else and scares me half to death by sprinting down hills and jumping walls with my babies on his back. He says e likes to live life as an exercise.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Um... Well I tote 5 kiddos around all day and I bend over a lot. 🤣 ;) Other than that the hubby and I get away for backpacking every once in a while.
Not the fittest gal you ever seen but I can be on my feet for 16 hours a day without sitting down. Hope that counts for something.😂😂
On a more serious note my brother is ex-military and he is doing 15 miles a day of walking and ten swimming. He does pushups whenever he isn't doing something else and scares me half to death by sprinting down hills and jumping walls with my babies on his back. He says e likes to live life as an exercise.
Yes, your exercise needs are taken care of.

Tell your brother that he can slow down, since exercise doesn’t have any long term benefit. It’s only for the here and now, unless he is training for SFAS or something .(SFAS is short for Special Forces Assessment And Selection.) If he intends to try out for Delta Group, then he is right on the money. Is he going to do that? If he isn’t then he is trying too hard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, your exercise needs are taken care of.

Tell your brother that he can slow down, since exercise doesn’t have any long term benefit. It’s only for the here and now, unless he is training for SFAS or something .(SFAS is short for Special Forces Assessment And Selection.) If he intends to try out for Delta Group, then he is right on the money. Is he going to do that? If he isn’t then he is trying too hard.
Well I suppose it is exercise. 😂
Even when we were little my brother is someone who always needs to be moving. He likes it and doesn't really care about being fit, just needs the physical activity to "keep his insanity" as he says. Sometimes I worry he pushes too hard but I think he will be okay. If he ran the 15 miles every day I would be more worried since it can break leg muscles down.
I tell him to chill but he can't work if he "chills" so I guess he does what he needs to do. :rolleyes:🤷‍♀️ he isn't training for anything that I know of...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Work out 2x a week with anaerobic and once with aerobic if you want muscle, and reverse that to trim weight.
You will have to do a lot of aerobic to lose 60 pounds though. I need to lose 50 pounds myself, and I am doing tons of aerobic. So far without much luck, because I eat like a horse. And I have been trapped in that cycle for 10 years, so it’s looking pretty dismal for losing weight.
It’s virtually impossible to work off bad eating habits. You would need to be an Olympic athlete in training to burn a bad diet off or naturally gifted.

I eat lean proteins and vegetables with limited carbohydrates.

It’s hard to eat enough lean protein and steamed vegetables to get fat.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
You need to get your heart rate up, and getting pissed off doesn’t count🤙
Uh, no I don't, my heart is fine, I get enough exercise when logging and splitting.
I do a monthly EKG on myself, no problems at all, send the results to my PCP.
I also do my BP every day, am on one med for it, it is at normal systolic and diastolic levels.
I you think I am going to waste energy on working out, you got another thing coming.
Use this to adjust the workout thingy, I am 80 years old, still work 15-20 hours a week
in the shop.
As soon as it gets a little warmer, I am putting a thermal fan assembly in one Grand Cherokee.
I did one in January of last year in 20 degree F weather, replacing the failed electric one.
Then in June I will rebuild the front caliper cylinders in one Cherokee.
Whatever work needs to be done, I do it. Rebuilding the rear deck when the summer gets here.
I have a 1955 Tbird that I might repaint if I feel like it.
Almost all my same aged friends are gone, I am still here and I am not a veggie sitting in a wheelchair drooling on myself in the corner, nor am I suffering any mental afflictions.
The only things that slow me up are my hands with arthritis and several surgeries.
Yeah, I don't need to get my heart rate up any further.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Uh, no I don't, my heart is fine, I get enough exercise when logging and splitting.
I do a monthly EKG on myself, no problems at all, send the results to my PCP.
I also do my BP every day, am on one med for it, it is at normal systolic and diastolic levels.
I you think I am going to waste energy on working out, you got another thing coming.
Use this to adjust the workout thingy, I am 80 years old, still work 15-20 hours a week
in the shop.
As soon as it gets a little warmer, I am putting a thermal fan assembly in one Grand Cherokee.
I did one in January of last year in 20 degree F weather, replacing the failed electric one.
Then in June I will rebuild the front caliper cylinders in one Cherokee.
Whatever work needs to be done, I do it. Rebuilding the rear deck when the summer gets here.
I have a 1955 Tbird that I might repaint if I feel like it.
Almost all my same aged friends are gone, I am still here and I am not a veggie sitting in a wheelchair drooling on myself in the corner, nor am I suffering any mental afflictions.
The only things that slow me up are my hands with arthritis and several surgeries.
Yeah, I don't need to get my heart rate up any further.
It was merely a suggestion to get your heart rate up, not work out, carry on.

But keep in mind that all the things you listed above, most people don’t do in their “ shop “ “ and nothing else “ Like you claim in post #48 that I responded to.

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
You need to get your heart rate up, and getting pissed off doesn’t count🤙
Now, you tell me; asshole! All these years I thought that reading the news was a workout and now you tell me otherwise?
Considering we are neighbors and all, I would have expected you to have given me a heads up a little sooner.

To be serious, we all know that walking is great exercise. Not casual strolling but serious walking.
Denton, out down the remote control and get off your dead ass. Where did that rock-hard soldier go, you pudgy, old man?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't work out to lose weight, I lost my first 56 pounds with no exercise. I work out because strength training builds stronger bones and I have lost count on how many bones I have broken, I also workout to keep my balance good because a broken hip is not something I want to go through. And I work out because I love feeling muscle instead of flab on my legs and arms. To lose weight though it is strickly burn more then I take in. I am on myfitness pal and have been for years to track my food but I learned a long time ago not to count my exercise because I used it as an excuse to eat more so I would work out longer so I could eat more pizza, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Dog walking and workout videos. That's all for now.

Before covid I liked swimming at the YMCA. I do miss swimming. I'll probably re-join the community pool this summer.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
It was merely a suggestion to get your heart rate up, not work out, carry on.

But keep in mind that all the things you listed above, most people don’t do in their “ shop “ “ and nothing else “ Like you claim in post #48 that I responded to.
With the exception of the logging and the deck the rest are done in my shop.
There is plenty of room to pull in the Jeeps to work on them most of the time. Last winter the bay was filled and I had to do the fan job outside.
The shop shop is a industrial manufacturing machine shop, before I retired I employed 15 people.
I did design and fabricate almost anything within the machine size limits, to include welding fabrication, plating and painting. My products are well known around the world.
Customers were the US military (have cage code) oil field suppliers, machine tool builders, many others.
I have never sat on my a$$ at a desk for any extended length of time, only when writing computer programs. Those desk bound people that suffer from "secretarial spread" are the ones who need to work out to keep their a$$es from getting fatter.
A friend who is the VP of a large world class financial institution goes to the gym almost everyday after work, he suffers from the "spread".
I am 5'9" and 170 pounds, 34 inch waist, not overweight by any means.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Horses have great diets, your doing fine.
Whenever I need to lose some weight but I want to eat how I always do, I just get pregnant so the extra goes to the baby, if you were a lady I would suggest that. 😂 😂

·
Registered
449 Posts
With the exception of the logging and the deck the rest are done in my shop.
There is plenty of room to pull in the Jeeps to work on them most of the time. Last winter the bay was filled and I had to do the fan job outside.
The shop shop is a industrial manufacturing machine shop, before I retired I employed 15 people.
I did design and fabricate almost anything within the machine size limits, to include welding fabrication, plating and painting. My products are well known around the world.
Customers were the US military (have cage code) oil field suppliers, machine tool builders, many others.
I have never sat on my a$$ at a desk for any extended length of time, only when writing computer programs. Those desk bound people that suffer from "secretarial spread" are the ones who need to work out to keep their a$$es from getting fatter.
A friend who is the VP of a large world class financial institution goes to the gym almost everyday after work, he suffers from the "spread".
I am 5'9" and 170 pounds, 34 inch waist, not overweight by any means.
You sure do a lot of work for a guy that doesn’t want to get his heart rate up.

·
Super Moderator
9,171 Posts
You sure do a lot of work for a guy that doesn’t want to get his heart rate up.
That's not what he said.

That tells me he does enough work at home that he doesn't need the extra workout to accomplish this. Just sayin...........

41 - 60 of 75 Posts