Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
@MisterMills357 the past couple days, I have kind of determined when I was a freshman you were a senior. So not that far off age wise. You have some age related disabilities as so do I .
I am still in the denial stage, and I won’t let aches and pains beat me. If my hips hurt, I get out of the chair and go to work on the chores.
I guess I am as stubborn as my GGF. He always said he would die with his boots on, and he did out milking cows at 86.
I am 65 and it just about kills me to ride in the strong Sun around here, it is summer-like now, and that is punishing.
But, I am going to treat myself today, first I am going back to the flea market, and then I am headed for the beach.
Let me look up the the place that would be convenient: It looks like Indian Shores Beach will be it.

I am doing it off my own accord, since the doctor wizards nearly took away any manhood that I had.
I am on so many BP meds now and a side effect is that I cramp up, after a few hours in the Sun. I am on a lot of diuretics, and salt pours out of me.

So I have to use table salt for that, and I am bringing that up, because my hand draws up, my thumb in particular.

PS: I think that I a going to die with my sandals on, when one of these good citizens runs over me.
I have never seen a place that has less regard for cyclists and pedestrians. It’s like they are in the way.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been going to the gym and working on the yard and garden area and hope for a good 10 mile bike ride tomorrow now that it is finally getting nice as long as the wind slows down. I hopefully get released by my doc in 2 weeks to start back at lifting weights. I always stayed in pretty good shape working 12 hour shifts and running to keep up but since I retired I have to really force myself to want to do anything. Lazy is my middle name.

·
Registered
136 Posts
At work I'm either lugging bags of anfo across a shot, wrestling with the bulk hose and sometimes slinging steel. 50lb bags, a heavy hose and steels are 130lbs or so.
At home I cut firewood, split it by hand, walk the dogs and I deer hunt, the hills are steep and the deer are big.
My wife has a stationary bike, treadmill and some weights she exercises with, not to mention she takes care of our two sons.
Her and I go hiking together, we lift together as well, we will be expanding our home soon and plan on adding more to our gym.
Overall we're in fairly good shape.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
At work I'm either lugging bags of anfo across a shot, wrestling with the bulk hose and sometimes slinging steel. 50lb bags, a heavy hose and steels are 130lbs or so.
At home I cut firewood, split it by hand, walk the dogs and I deer hunt, the hills are steep and the deer are big.
My wife has a stationary bike, treadmill and some weights she exercises with, not to mention she takes care of our two sons.
Her and I go hiking together, we lift together as well, we will be expanding our home soon and plan on adding more to our gym.
Overall we're in fairly good shape.
OK, you've covered any exercise that you need. You get a blue ribbon. Your wife gets honorable mention...........only kidding, since she takes care of two sons. That’s a work out in itself.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have been going to the gym and working on the yard and garden area and hope for a good 10 mile bike ride tomorrow now that it is finally getting nice as long as the wind slows down. I hopefully get released by my doc in 2 weeks to start back at lifting weights. I always stayed in pretty good shape working 12 hour shifts and running to keep up but since I retired I have to really force myself to want to do anything. Lazy is my middle name.
You would not believe how glorious the weather is right here, but it is pretty far south hereabouts.

I went for a bike ride yesterday and my bald tire popped: so then I had a nice 7 mile walk, and I am sunburned.
But no complaints.

Note: I know that I am truly eccentric for a guy who is 65. But, like Popeye, I yams what I yams.🤓
I should get a corn cob pipe.

Reactions: AquaHull

·
Registered
426 Posts
You would not believe how glorious the weather is right here, but it is pretty far south hereabouts.

I went for a bike ride yesterday and my bald tire popped: so then I had a nice 7 mile walk, and I am sunburned.
But no complaints.

Note: I know that I am truly eccentric for a guy who is 65. But, like Popeye, I yams what I yams.🤓
It is nice here today but we have 25 mile winds which makes riding a bike suck. We are going to take the dogs walking at the nature preserve instead. I planted all my seedly yesterday and they are in the greenhouse. I really have zero projects planned today which is weird for me.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts

But no complaints.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it..

I walk a few miles each day, trying for 10K steps, about 20 minutes of arm or leg execise, and 20 minutes of core exercises.

Then there is the property that needs constant attention.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Put that in your pipe and smoke it..

I walk a few miles each day, trying for 10K steps, about 20 minutes of arm or leg execise, and 20 minutes of core exercises.

Then there is the property that needs constant attention.
Me personally, I go for distance , it’s easier for me to count and keep up with. And I don’t have a lick of sense, and I am constantly overreaching: I got way up the road on a bald tire, like I expected it to magically last forever. It didn’t.

Today I am going to clear some garbage, and nuisance plants in the back of the house.

(I’m Popeye the sailor man.)🥦🥬🌽 I didn’t see any spinach emoticons .

·
Registered
449 Posts
I lift weights 4 times a week. I swim three days a week.

With a bad ankle I skip leg day in the weight room and swim. Swimming is easy on the joints, as you know.

I’ve been doing special exercises for the ankle. It’s getting better slowly.

I sleep with a cool ice pack on my ankle strapped with an ace bandage. It’s helping tremendously and feels great . Helping me sleep better, that’s conducive with healing. 👍

·
Registered
426 Posts

With a bad ankle I skip leg day in the weight room and swim. Swimming is easy on the joints, as you know.

I sleep with a cool ice pack on my ankle strapped with an ace bandage. It’s helping tremendously and feels great . Helping me sleep better, that’s conducive with healing. 👍
I hated it when I broke my ankle and since it was about 1 year before they decided they needed to operate because it wouldn't heal it went on for a long time. I am hoping I get released to start my full workout next week when I see the doc. Can't believe how flabby my arms got in just 10 short weeks because of my hand and shoulder surgery.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I had a surgical repair on my right ankle, and it ended up being a life changer. I had to have PT for a few months, and now, 25 years later, I wear out my right shoe faster than my left .

On a separate note, sometimes I have to sleep right on top of a cold pack, one of those freeze packs.
I get points along my spine and back that ache pretty bad. It’s from high blood pressure, and it can really hurt.
I have thrown up from the over pressure many times.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I hated it when I broke my ankle and since it was about 1 year before they decided they needed to operate because it wouldn't heal it went on for a long time. I am hoping I get released to start my full workout next week when I see the doc. Can't believe how flabby my arms got in just 10 short weeks because of my hand and shoulder surgery.
When I snapped my ankle, it was fairly traumatic, and it swelled up when the cast was no longer on it. Because when I torqued into that brick-hard dirt road; well you understand, I nearly knocked my socks off.

I had the ankle bone screwed back together, by a surgeon: with tiny screws, nothing huge. Plus it took me a long time recover and to do the PT.

I went back to jump status in about 4 months I think.

Until I did go back to bailing out of choppers, I walked. It was on crutches, while I had the cast on; and on foot after that. Everywhere that I went, I got there on foot. It was a nightmare in ways, and it felt like I had 3 inch screws through my ankle, when I walked.

So I sympathize with you. Your muscle strength does not last, it is fleeting. Right now, I am a fat boy.
I know that you are trying, since you don’t sound like the quitter sort. Keep a good spirit, and keep going.

·
Registered
449 Posts
When I snapped my ankle, it was fairly traumatic, and it swelled up when the cast was no longer on it. Because when I torqued into that brick-hard dirt road; well you understand, I nearly knocked my socks off.

I had the ankle bone screwed back together, by a surgeon: with tiny screws, nothing huge. Plus it took me a long time recover and to do the PT.

I went back to jump status in about 4 months I think.

Until I did go back to bailing out of choppers, I walked. It was on crutches, while I had the cast on; and on foot after that. Everywhere that I went, I got there on foot. It was a nightmare in ways, and it felt like I had 3 inch screws through my ankle, when I walked.

So I sympathize with you. Your muscle strength does not last, it is fleeting. Right now, I am a fat boy.
I know that you are trying, since you don’t sound like the quitter sort. Keep a good spirit, and keep going.
It will get better or not. I don’t worry about it, I just treat it and keep going. There may be a time where I’m willing to let professionals take over but I’m not there yet.

Right now I can tolerate the discomfort and the swelling is manageable but kind of exhausting. I’m icing it every 30-45 minutes around the clock basically and leaving a cool pack onnit while I sleep.

I see improvement every few days. I’ll continue to rehab it evennif it gets to what I believe is 100%.

I want it stronger than before.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
I used KT tape on my ankles for months, it helped stabilize it when I was working so I wouldn't keep having it go south on me. I swear by that stuff, use it on me knee when it acts up and on my shoulder before surgery. Since I don't tolerant and don't care for pain medication I use things like that and ice a lot to help with the swelling. I hope yours gets better soon. It has been 3 years I think since I broke my ankle and I can run now if I feel like which I don't often. But I can ride my bike now which was my goal that kept me going.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I used KT tape on my ankles for months, it helped stabilize it when I was working so I wouldn't keep having it go south on me. I swear by that stuff, use it on me knee when it acts up and on my shoulder before surgery. Since I don't tolerant and don't care for pain medication I use things like that and ice a lot to help with the swelling. I hope yours gets better soon. It has been 3 years I think since I broke my ankle and I can run now if I feel like which I don't often. But I can ride my bike now which was my goal that kept me going.
My traumatic ankle injury was 25 years ago, it has healed, and then healed some more. My surgeon did a great job and so did my PT team. That’s one reason that I can walk 7, or 8 miles now, and there is no pain in my ankle. I have walked 12 miles at at lick within the last 2 years, and the trouble that I had, was keeping up with my BS.

You would not believe what walking in 90 degree weather does to me, I am always chasing down a good blood sugar level. It crashes if I don’t.
I have learned to stop and have a sit down meal in a restaurant .

I was out on a bicycle and I was killing myself in this heat. So I stopped at one of those fish & hamburger & everything else places. They had the hottest fries and real good chow there. It was a treat.

I stopped at the restaurant , because I was getting my north and south mixed up. And I couldn’t get my directions right: so I knew that my BS was all screwed up, and was getting worse. The meal helped me stupendously. I drank down 3 or 4 small cups cold soda too.

Reactions: Megamom134

·
Registered
426 Posts
My traumatic ankle injury was 25 years ago, it has healed, and then healed some more. My surgeon did a great job and so did my PT team. That’s one reason that I can walk 7, or 8 miles now, and there is no pain in my ankle. I have walked 12 miles at at lick within the last 2 years, and the trouble that I had, was keeping up with my BS.

You would not believe what walking in 90 degree weather does to me, I am always chasing down a good blood sugar level. It crashes if I don’t.
I have learned to stop and have a sit down meal in a restaurant .

I was out on a bicycle and I was killing myself in this heat. So I stopped at one of those fish & hamburger & everything else places. They had the hottest fries and real good chow there. It was a treat.

I stopped because I was getting my north and south mixed up. So I knew that my BS was all screwed up, and was getting worse. The meal helped me stupendously. I drank down 3 or 4 small cups odor soda too.
I am so glad that so far I am not a diabetic. Both my parents were but then both my parents were dead by my age, years before my age. I am glad you manage it well. I would think the majority of patients in our wound care clinic were diabetics, its nothing to mess with.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Messed up the quote again.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts