Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rode a bicycle to a town named Pinellas Park, because they have a flea market there : It is held in a city park, close to city hall. I mapped it on Apple Maps, and good God, it wasn’t nearly as far as I thought.

I was packing stuff on the way up, like a gallon of water, and I had a leather bag. At the flea circus, I filled it full of stuff, and by the time I got back home: I had stuff falling out of my bag, so next time I will take one of my duffle bags.

I had a boom box hanging off of my shoulder, and wouldn’t you know it, the CD door came off. So that will turn into an adventure, just getting it back on. OK that qualified as a full set of exercise, mostly because, I say it did. My butt was tired after that.

My question for you is, what do you do for exercise and work outs? Sometimes I ride to Clearwater International, and thereabouts, I like to see the planes taking off and landing: it makes the trip worth it, I love to watch aircraft. I get absorbed.

PS: I drank a whole gallon of water, and I had to use a salt shaker. My hand started cramping, and using some salt is one of the best ways to stop a cramp.

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
Lol, your adventure is a little comical. I jog 3-4 days a week and walk for an hour wearing body armor the days that I do not jog. I also do push-ups and crunches every other day. I am starting to get into doing "time under tension" exercises such as "handcuffs."

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
At my age and stage, working around the homestead gives me a great workout.
When the Doc told me no high impact activities like jogging on my replacement knee, I thought "good, I don't jog anyway, but now I've got an excuse."

I did an upper body and arm workout today. Running an interior fence line to keep the dogs contained to a certain area. I'm using 6' 6" metal T posts and driving them in with one of those two handled post drivers.

Next up is digging up and resetting about fourty 18" patio stones at the back door. The old steps rotted out, I bought some nice premade wood and steel steps. I had to turn over dirt to get it loose enough to level out for a new patio stone base, 6 feet X 8 feet. And dagum it, now the old stoned area doesn't line up square and even with the new base.

After that is cutting down long stretches of wax myrtle that have taken over some of the interior fence lines and have grown to almost 20 feet high, with 2"+ thick trunks..

AND THEN, I really need to thin out the two acre woodlot and cut down all the undergrowth. I haven't touched it in 20 years, this will probably kill me.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Normal work of maintaining a house and acreage. 12oz curls during happy hour. Park at the far end of the parking lot so my nice older rigs don't get door dings from all the idiots. Go fishing. Walk up to the shooting bench and targets.

As fast as this country is going down the drain I don't really care how much longer I'm around.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep. Steel t posts and a driver, stretching barbed wire, cutting and splitting wood. One of these days I'm buying a hydraulic splitter.
You want a real core workout? Learn to use a scythe. I've been doing more and more "old fashioned" homestead work so that I have experience rather than theory. This includes buck saws, felling axes, froes, and carpenter saws.
It starts to show a change in you after a while. Some for better, some for worse, but as far as homestead prepping goes, these are skills that give you a really good idea as to what it will be like to survive long term, and thrive.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, your adventure is a little comical. I jog 3-4 days a week and walk for an hour wearing body armor the days that I do not jog. I also do push-ups and crunches every other day. I am starting to get into doing "time under tension" exercises such as "handcuffs."
I picked up one deal after the next, there are a lot of different types of folks there, and it has variety.
I found a huge sweet onion, from one of the Oriental booths. : and I’m trying it on a ham sandwich tonight.

I had stuff hanging all over me, and out of my bags. It was a tough work out too, I love that kind of stuff.

You need to help me with “time under tension & handcuffs”. I don’t know what that entails.

Reactions: RedLion

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At my age and stage, working around the homestead gives me a great workout.
When the Doc told me no high impact activities like jogging on my replacement knee, I thought "good, I don't jog anyway, but now I've got an excuse."

I did an upper body and arm workout today. Running an interior fence line to keep the dogs contained to a certain area. I'm using 6' 6" metal T posts and driving them in with one of those two handled post drivers.

Next up is digging up and resetting about fourty 18" patio stones at the back door. The old steps rotted out, I bought some nice premade wood and steel steps. I had to turn over dirt to get it loose enough to level out for a new patio stone base, 6 feet X 8 feet. And dagum it, now the old stoned area doesn't line up square and even with the new base.

After that is cutting down long stretches of wax myrtle that have taken over some of the interior fence lines and have grown to almost 20 feet high, with 2"+ thick trunks..

AND THEN, I really need to thin out the two acre woodlot and cut down all the undergrowth. I haven't touched it in 20 years, this will probably kill me.
You have a load of workouts in front of you, and like you I don’t run anymore: I a too fat and too old, and I don’t care about running anymore. I’m tired. I have to be careful what I do anyway, or I can kill myself in the Sun and heat.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Normal work of maintaining a house and acreage. 12oz curls during happy hour. Park at the far end of the parking lot so my nice older rigs don't get door dings from all the idiots. Go fishing. Walk up to the shooting bench and targets.

As fast as this country is going down the drain I don't really care how much longer I'm around.
Curling a 6 pack is a worthwhile endeavor, and so is fishing, they are good ways to spend time. You are smart to park your trucks away from the idiots: they don’t mind if they bust your truck up, they care if you bust theirs up.

Reactions: Chipper

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Illegals do my exercising for me, I'll have to check with them...
You are warped, but you already knew that, and so did everybody else here. If you ever go crazy, no one will ever know it, since it will seem business as usual. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Slippy and inceptor

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yep. Steel t posts and a driver, stretching barbed wire, cutting and splitting wood. One of these days I'm buying a hydraulic splitter.
You want a real core workout? Learn to use a scythe. I've been doing more and more "old fashioned" homestead work so that I have experience rather than theory. This includes buck saws, felling axes, froes, and carpenter saws.
It starts to show a change in you after a while. Some for better, some for worse, but as far as homestead prepping goes, these are skills that give you a really good idea as to what it will be like to survive long term, and thrive.
I am very good at using a scythe, I can destroy a pretty tough field of high grass with one. I can use an axe in an unusually good way , I am thinking of getting a few of them. Nowadays I may need one or two, with which to wade into 6 or 12 Antifa thugs.

It always pays to look ahead.😋

PS: get the hydraulic splitter,and save yourself from the agony of splitting very thick sections of tree wood. It ain’t worth it, and it might wear you down too much.

Reactions: Nick and Black 5

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
I rode a bicycle to a town named Pinellas Park, because they have a flea market there : It is held in a city park, close to city hall. I mapped it on Apple Maps, and good God, it wasn’t nearly as far as I thought.

I was packing stuff on the way up, like a gallon of water, and I had a leather bag. At the flea circus, I filled it full of stuff, and by the time I got back home: I had stuff falling out of my bag, so next time I will take one of my duffle bags.

I had a boom box hanging off of my shoulder, and wouldn’t you know it, the CD door came off. So that will turn into an adventure, just getting it back on. OK that qualified as a full set of exercise, mostly because, I say it did. My butt was tired after that.

My question for you is, what do you do for exercise and work outs? Sometimes I ride to Clearwater International, and thereabouts, I like to see the planes taking off and landing: it makes the trip worth it, I love to watch aircraft. I get absorbed.

PS: I drank a whole gallon of water, and I had to use a salt shaker. My hand started cramping, and using some salt is one of the best ways to stop a cramp.
I get quite a bit of exercise as a school crossing guard. I have to get up and down in my lawn chair to get the cute Mamas and mean kids across the street and back safely and expeditiously. I am wore plumb out and ready for a beer when I get off..and I have to work like a democrat at home. Today i mowed grass...sprayed ants..and slung corn gluteen meal back and front yard plus went to the feed store and bought it along with a big bag of dirt and another of mulch. Just barely squeezed in a smoked baloney sandwich from the bbq joint. There just isnt enough hours in the day to go to health club..bike riding..rock climbing etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,202 Posts
I thought I wasn't doing badly considering everything I used to do got shutdown because of the scamdemic. Today my neighbors were pulling out the bushes they lost because of the freeze. They needed some chains and I happen to have some so I let them borrow those chains. I went over to help. 5 minutes in and I was done. Wiped out. They are in their 40's so I'm nearly double their age and they have good strong kids. So I just watched for a time.

What it did do is let me know how far I have fallen. I need to work on that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Today, my better half picked the jobs, so it was an easy day.

I ran the weed eater along 800 ft of fence line and 200 ft of retaining wall. Getting her set up and running batteries to her, refilling her weed eater. The usual chores of feeding 6 horses, 4 dogs. Reinstalled my 2nd driveway chain that I had borrowed to use as for a ball and chain hill clearing system. Doing some planning for adapting some of her horse equipment for a better use and getting aproval (biggest achievement).

Much easier than my normal days. Digging holes, setting posts, stringing fence, hanging gates, new building projects amoungst doing all the supply runs.

Riding a bike? Last time I did that was 2 years ago on vacation.

I have been “retired” for 6 years. Some times I think I should go back to work to rest.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a damn thing. Maintaining the acreage, horses, chickens, dogs, cats, sailboat, 6 kids and 12 grandkids. i get all the expertise I needed.
That is physical exercise, it’s just called by a different name, it’s called running to keep up.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today, my better half picked the jobs, so it was an easy day.

I ran the weed eater along 800 ft of fence line and 200 ft of retaining wall. Getting her set up and running batteries to her, refilling her weed eater. The usual chores of feeding 6 horses, 4 dogs. Reinstalled my 2nd driveway chain that I had borrowed to use as for a ball and chain hill clearing system. Doing some planning for adapting some of her horse equipment for a better use and getting aproval (biggest achievement).

Much easier than my normal days. Digging holes, setting posts, stringing fence, hanging gates, new building projects amoungst doing all the supply runs.

Riding a bike? Last time I did that was 2 years ago on vacation.

I have been “retired” for 6 years. Some times I think I should go back to work to rest.
Yeah, you are doing fine in the exercise department. I will say the same thing to you, that I said to piratesailor,you are running to keep up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
@MisterMills357 the past couple days, I have kind of determined when I was a freshman you were a senior. So not that far off age wise. You have some age related disabilities as so do I .
I am still in the denial stage, and I won’t let aches and pains beat me. If my hips hurt, I get out of the chair and go to work on the chores.
I guess I am as stubborn as my GGF. He always said he would die with his boots on, and he did out milking cows at 86.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts