Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry my Glock 27, everyday IWB I got a cheapo IWB holster that works pretty good! SO what do you guys carry?

·
Registered
433 Posts
My carry weapon is a Charter Arms 38 special, 2" detective model. It is loaded with 5 "special" loads 135 grain, teflon core. Fast to pull, fast to shoot and no thinking involved. I'm good at no thinking...I practice it daily.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'll be able to respond to this thread here in about a week when the XDs come out. The big draw back is its a 5+1, unlike the Neo Matrix Glocks that have what, 32 rounds? Instead of spray and pray, its going to be one shot one kill if attacked. Although, I hope there's no more than 6 attackers. lol.

Right now its my s&w 915 15 shot with one of those Mikes holsters.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which XDs are you getting caliber wise?

·
Registered
159 Posts
A Ruger SP101 in .357 mag.

I can load it with various 38spl or .357 rounds, so it can be as mild or hot as I need it to be. I'm partial to stainless revolvers in survival conditions. They're good for outdoor/heavy weather use and shrug off water, dirt and debre... unlike many semi-automatics. You really have to mess up a stainless wheel gun before it will fail to function.

I've considered a 44mag for the same reason. You can load 44 Russian, 44spl or 44 mag in the same gun. I like the versatility.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
AnvilIron said:
A Ruger SP101 in .357 mag.

I can load it with various 38spl or .357 rounds, so it can be as mild or hot as I need it to be. I'm partial to stainless revolvers in survival conditions. They're good for outdoor/heavy weather use and shrug off water, dirt and debre... unlike many semi-automatics. You really have to mess up a stainless wheel gun before it will fail to function.

I've considered a 44mag for the same reason. You can load 44 Russian, 44spl or 44 mag in the same gun. I like the versatility.
My next one after the XDs .45 is going to be a 357 mag also. And yes, stainless is the way to go. I want to learn how to use the speed loaders. Will be consulting with you here in a few weeks about a revolver. Will look into the SP101.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If possible guys, would it be possible for you to show a pic of your edc, its just here in England we are kept 1 million miles away from fire arms, be nice to take a look at your different guns, it's extra work to post pics, so don't worry if you aint got the time, it's just nice to look at these mechanicaly sound bits of precise equipment.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Peter P. -
Link to SP101 pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_SP-101
It's a fairly small frame revolver for .357. Notice the low profile ramped front sight and the hammer-spur that tops out just below the top line of the frame. Both of these features keep the handgun from catching on clothing, etc when being drawn. With the exception of length, 38 caliber cartridges have the same chambering dimension as the .357 (the.357 is just an extended 38 cal. round) and therefore will chamber and fire safely in the .357 handgun. The reverse is not true… a .357 round will not fit in a 38 caliber chamber because that chamber is not deep enough to accept the longer casing.

Link to .44 mag:
The .44 mag is a larger frame, but has much of the same configuration characteristics of the SP101. The Smith and Wesson Model 629 .44 mag "Backpacker" or "Mountain Gun" is short barrel model and very popular with hunting and fishing guides in the wilder parts of the US.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I was wondering why the ramped front site was designed like that, now I know! I did know that the hidden hammer (bodyguard) was for being able to put it in your pants without it going off. Not that much of a kick, or at least thats how the guy was doing it in the video (smooth). And I love the spin on that thing. I think the speed loaders is what gets me with these guns. I would love to learn how to do that in a split second.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For around the house, I carry a .380 (S&W) in my front pocket just so I have something. A couple of years ago, I was working on my truck and had to run down to the NAPA store for some parts. When I returned, I saw a guy at my gate trying to get in, but my two large dogs were keeping him at bay.
I live back up in the trees on a hill with only one road in and out, so I was surprised he showed up in my remote location.
I stopped short and approached him with my hand in my pocket on the .380. When he spun around, I expected to see a knife or firearm.
Turns out, he was an illegal from Mexico and very high on drugs. I could tell he was no threat, but I was worried about his 3 amigos coming out of the woods.
I called 911 and they removed him but there were a few moments of me counting my .380 rounds. Let's see, 4 guys, 7 rounds..........
This is a case where all those guns in the safe of my house weren't going to do me any good. I'm glad I was packing something!
Since then, I still have that .380 but also take a .357 in the truck to run my errands.
They were guys off the freeway a couple of miles away that ran out of gas and were foraging for items they could steal and sell for gas money.
Lock and load!

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I wish I could figure out how to conceal a rifle...I mean really, why fight with a handgun if you can have a rifle?

::redsnipe::

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm extremely jealous of you guys who can carry!

Here in NJ, if you stop anywhere that deviates from your journey to/from the firing range, then you are committing a felony with a mandatory 5 year sentence. That's even if you have you firearms secured and mags separated from the firearm (unarmed naturally, because having loaded mags is another felony in this state).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I carry my Taurus PT24/7 Pro Compact DS in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The name is quite fitting since it's literally with me 24/7. The only time I didn't have it with me since getting my CHL is once when I had to go into a post office. It carries 13+1 9mm in a nice, small package I can conceal effortlessly with any of my clothes including tee shirts my size(aka not baggy).

Here's my review of my 24/7:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I presently carry a Beretta 92FS. I hope to upgrade that to a Springfield XDM .45 in the next few weeks. Got to love the great state of Pennsylvania that is a Shall issue state.

***Update, just purchased it from my local shop.***

Untitled by FireFighterDad, on Flickr

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also currently have a Ruger SP101 & it shoots real nice. Even when loaded with a hot .357 load my wife will still shoot it & not complain...now that is something :D . I really like the Ruger SR9c myself also. I plan, when re-employed again-long story, to get one in 9mm so I can use all that ammo that is just sitting since I am 9mm less. I also have a Bersa .380 that I used to carry, but was told by many that it was too small to be a good CCW. AlotToLearn, you should move accross the river to Pa. I walked into the sheriff's office, filled out a form & handed over $20. & walked out with my Pa licence to carry firearms 20 mins later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Started with a Sig Pro which was tooo heavy. Switched to a S&W .40c and just bought my wife a XD 9 sub compact. Either of the latter two are great to carry. We are fortunate in Texas to be able to CCW, I feel for the people in NJ where it is a felony to have a firearm with you.
By the way, there is plenty of room in my area for new comers to move. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Started with a Sig Pro which was tooo heavy. Switched to a S&W .40c and just bought my wife a XD 9 sub compact. Either of the latter two are great to carry. We are fortunate in Texas to be able to CCW, I feel for the people in NJ where it is a felony to have a firearm with you.
By the way, there is plenty of room in my area for new comers to move. Just a thought. :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts