Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set out some cabbage, broccoli and kohlrabi transplants as well as some spinach transplants.

The ground was frozen yet in the bottom of the planting holes for the spinach. :-?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Nice try, it takes most seed a soil temperature of 70 degrees to germinate. In Montana that means June 1 planting unless you have a greenhouse or are REALLY lucky.

If your seed do not rot or freeze out in the ground you are either in the far south or lucky.

Good Luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice try, it takes most seed a soil temperature of 70 degrees to germinate. In Montana that means June 1 planting unless you have a greenhouse or are REALLY lucky.

If your seed do not rot or freeze out in the ground you are either in the far south or lucky.

Good Luck
I set out plants. I started the seeds in the basement on heat.

Certainly though you can plant brassica and spinach long before 70* soil can you not?

We don't even wait that long to plant corn, or soybeans anymore.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We still have quite a bit of snow on the ground. Planting anything is at least a month away if not 6 weeks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mother's Day is the rule here. I have some stuff strted and am building a small hoopty over my small salsa garden. That way I can start cukes and zukes this weekend.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
I started 31 Big Dipper pepper, and 1 Cal Wonder. Some of the soil tops froze over night. I'll start 32 Cal Wonders today, and bring both mini flats indoors

I have a heating pad placed on my dresser by a sunny window to germinate the peppers in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Today? I planted my butt in front of a monitor...
My seed order has come in and I have some starts to get going...we don't get irrigation until the 8th, so it's all about getting the plot ready, until I get water, thats really all I can do...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I transplanted a houseplant while listening to the weather report of a snowstorm coming Thursday. Another four inches. I am jealous of all you lucky outside planters.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm growing some perpetual spinach chard indoors right now. Also planted some garlic bulbs that were getting soft. Garlic is taking off. Chard, just barely.

Peas go in the garden Saturday. We just lost our snow cover last week, but things are sprouting, so time to plant cold weather crops. Probably do 20x20 plot of peas then by time they are done be ready with summer crops in their place.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
PLANTING? Still over a foot of "OLD" ice/snow in places, 6"solid ice and 6" crusty snow. Haven't seen bare ground in 5 months. Get back to me in July, suppose to get more snow this week.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Thanks Chipper for the pics - our place doesn't have that much ... yet. Looks like all the crap today is staying south of us for now. Now "they" are saying six inches starting tomorrow. I want to move. However, I think I'll start seeds this weekend and pretend I am playing in outside dirt.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I have some 'three sisters' plots about to go down the plants look great. My corn rows actually survived the squirrels so they are coming up nicely. Got three cantaloupe vines started, lots of kale going and some green onions by the hot peppers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts