Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am still new here, probably my second post. Hopefully, it is in it's right place (new to forum layout).

Just curious what everyone else has added to their BOB recently, as new ideas can help others in preparing their bags.

I added:
Two epinephrin auto injectors (In case we have an allergic reaction or bee stings).
Bottle of Cephelaxin Antibiotics in case of severe wounding.
Broadhead that can be fashioned into a hunting/self defense weapon.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey all,

I am still new here, probably my second post. Hopefully, it is in it's right place (new to forum layout).

Just curious what everyone else has added to their BOB recently, as new ideas can help others in preparing their bags.

I added:
Two epinephrin auto injectors (In case we have an allergic reaction or bee stings).
Bottle of Cephelaxin Antibiotics in case of severe wounding.
Broadhead that can be fashioned into a hunting/self defense weapon.
The broadhead is an idea I might look into - super light and could be potentially a good gig/spear. I've been wanting to get an epi pen or two - they require a prescription, right?

·
Registered
461 Posts
What's the average lifespan of a pen? A year?

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
What's the average lifespan of a pen? A year?
in a prepping survival situation don't worry about it, either you have a pen or you don't. Unless you have another available use it anyway. Some of the epinephrine will be left.

Much like other chemicals based on environmental factors that will cause structural changes in the chemicals - that is things that create oxidization - i.e. energy transfer that changes the chemical bonds. Ideal storage will be at a cooler temperature and wrapped in an airtight sealed opaque wrapping.

You can expect quality.potency of the pin to reduce by about 5% per year (total random number)

Something is better than nothing however.

If you need an epi and all you have is an expired pin, with no chance of another in a timely manner use it. that is not medical advice though that is just my nonmedical opinion.

Since they are used in life threatening situations, the person will die anyway you have nothing to loose.

This is the same advice for all expired medications - in normal times do NOT use expired medications get new ones right.. frankly though in general you can expect mild chemical changes and slightly lower potency levels and more so as time goes on. If you need a drug just modify to the effective dose amount. the more dangerous the drug though the more caution should be taken but for things like cold and flu tylenol etc.. the stuff is relatively safe for one of emergency uses when it is all you have. The stuff will still work.

If the fluid changes colouration to a darker colour it can cause hallucinations, but bear in mind in a life threatening situations WHO CARES. strap em down and dig in. Just be sure to let them know it may cause hallucinations and keep them safe and secure.

The byproduct of oxidication is adrenochrome, a non lethal chemical in doses that are likely in a pen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenochrome " adrenochrome triggered psychotic reactions like thought disorder, derealization, and euphoria. "

Let them know they may be in for a ride. It loosens the mind and hyperfocus. As a mechanism to defend against excessive adrenaline response.

---------------------------

As a side effect of being away right now my current BOB which is in use contains a bottle of Naranga Liqour. (not normally in my bag)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good post, Will. Nathan, yes you need a prescription to get one, but that is quite simple. If you just go to the dr. and say you are allergic to bees/wasps,hornets they will likely give you one. Mine cost ~40 each, and that is a small price to pay to save a life. In a SHTF scenario, they may also make for a great barter. I live in the woods, and there are tons of flying insects, so it is good to have them on hand. Also, Will, you are right about the potential for hallucinations. I had to used an epi-pen on myself 5 years ago, when a severe allergic reaction to poison ivy closed my throat. Worked like a charm, though it made me loopy and throw up a few times. Some asshole was burning poison ivy nearby.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I add/upgrade items in my BOB (Maxpedition Condor II FG) on a fairly frequent basis. Most recently I added a Cold Steel Tanto knife (left inverted mount) and moved my Trangia-based cooking kit to an externally mounted 5ive Star Gear MOLLE kit bag. Both external mountings opened needed internal space to make room for additional medical/hygiene supplies and another day's food ration. Weight added: 1.8 pounds, total pack weight: 19.4 pounds minus sleeping bag and pad.

quick clot and hand held cb radio and Kevlar patches
I carry a HH CB as well. The HAM guys smirk and shake their heads.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have stopped carring a am/fm pocket radio and gmrs radio and started carrying a baofeng uvr5 instead - full range for about the same weight, volume and less cost. Now I just need to learn how to fully use it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Nothing the bag is done. Unless someone invents a better mouse trap than I already have it stays as is.
The ruck is packed to standard. The MRE's do get rotated out.
Something to think about. If you are not use to walking You may want to pack some Moleskin.

Reactions: oldmurph58

·
Registered
938 Posts
I bought a SOG Spirit - it is a hand-held metal spearpoint on a nylon handle. You can also attach it to longer threaded handles and use it as a spear.

image.jpg

It is, in all honesty, more novelty than weaponry, but I always wanted one ever since I saw these, and so I bought it. It is fairly well-made, but in a fight for your life scenario, it could do considerable damage. But I think it would be a one-and-done use weapon - if you had to rely on it for multiple strikes, I think it would break. But it still has some inherent potential, and it does look kinda cool, which is important, especially given the fact that it will almost certainly never be used in anger (just keeping it real, folks...).

I go snorkeling for flounder using a trident gig, and I have gigged some pretty big flatties that put up a hell of a fight, and I thought it might come in handy for dispatching a fish quickly.

I also bought a mini-hacksaw, with extra blades. It is really hard to schlep around a bolt cutter, but a quality mini-hacksaw could really come in handy. It is the lightweight shaped metallic round stock model used by professional plumbers, and it could cut through metal if you have enough time, or no other choice.... For under $20 with 10 extra blades, I couldn't pass it up (plus I had a plumbing project I needed it for, so what the hey...).

Spear and a hacksaw, my new adds.

·
Registered
249 Posts
quick clot and hand held cb radio and Kevlar patches
Please try the quick clot before you depend on it. About three weeks ago, I used it for some scrapes I got when I had to drop my motorcycle to avoid hitting someone who backed out of their driveway without looking. First off, It burned like hell for at least 3 hours. Secondly, it formed a thick scab that was tender, and it hurt for at least a week or so. It did seem to stop the bleeding though. Even so, I swore that I'll never use that stuff again, and believe me I won't.

Perhaps someone else can share their experience with the stuff. Maybe it doesn't react the same way on everybody.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not really part of my BOB but I picked up 100 rounds of 9mm ammo, all weather shooting gloves, and some lighters. Just starting to piece mine together so a lot to add yet.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Mine is set for me. I'm thinking now of what can be removed to lighten the pack and be more efficient. My bob is primarily a hurricane evacuation pack. Now that the season is almost over, or at least threats are low, I'll review and adjust.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Not for my BOB, but my GHB, as an alternative to Quik Clot which I carry sponges of in both packs, I picked up some Wound Seal powder. I haven't used it yet, but some of my buddies have and found it good stuff. I'm going to get some more for my BOB and around the house. Quik Clot works well. You have to deal with the pain, but it's expensive and I wouldn't use it for anything but a major wound bleeding heavily. Otherwise little cuts can be cleaned and either sealed with the Wound Seal or superglue. I can see someone kicking themselves for using their Quik Clot for a little cut or scrap out in the bush and than need it for something major and be shit out of luck.

WoundSeal-Packaging_5_13.jpg

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I finally put a little fishing kit in my bag... using one of the small altoids tins, I've got about 5 yards of 6lb test, another of 4lb, various split shot, one spoon lure, a nymph, and about half a dozen 8 and 10 hooks. I've got my tackle box in the same room as the rest of my gear, so if leaving is a must I'm going to try and bring it but it'll definitely be one of the first things to go in favor of the altoids fishing kit if weight becomes an issue.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not for my BOB, but my GHB, as an alternative to Quik Clot which I carry sponges of in both packs, I picked up some Wound Seal powder. I haven't used it yet, but some of my buddies have and found it good stuff. I'm going to get some more for my BOB and around the house. Quik Clot works well. You have to deal with the pain, but it's expensive and I wouldn't use it for anything but a major wound bleeding heavily. Otherwise little cuts can be cleaned and either sealed with the Wound Seal or superglue. I can see someone kicking themselves for using their Quik Clot for a little cut or scrap out in the bush and than need it for something major and be shit out of luck.

View attachment 2996
http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Wound-Seal-Powder-for-People-on-Blood-Thinners?skuId=888211

Thanks for the tip! I'm both adventurous, and clumsy... Shouldn't take long before I'll be able to try this out. :D

1 - 20 of 80 Posts