Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I go the the local "do it yourself" car wash I and most others there get approached by homeless people asking for three dollars... WHY $3? Every time that's the amount they ask for. On the rare occasion I give it to them they walk off happy as can be. What the heck are they all buying for $3???

Is it slang for something else? Are drugs really that cheap?

I don't ask them because honestly, I have NO desire to get involved in their lives, or hear a pack of lies. But still... THREE DOLLARS? Whats up??

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
My guess is a McDonald's value meal.

Most of the homeless I have talked to are vets. If they ask, I give them the money. I figure they have earned it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I was just about to say that... They ask for a three because they know that you'll whip a fiver on them just to end the exchange.
Even if you have three dollars, rather than air out your wallet in front of them you'll pull five and keep moving.

I keep beef jerkey and water and trail mix or a granola in my backpack so I always use it as a chance to rotate out my stock while being charitable. At least I know it goes to nourish them and not for crack.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
A couple beers or cheap bottle of wine. Most homeless people are always looking to score the next high in my experience. It's what got them there I always assume and what's going to keep them there I know.
Which is why I don't give them money and tell them to go away. I don't get approached much though because of the way I look and "f*&% off" look that's normally on my face. I generally see them long before they get close too and make eye contact telling them not to bother.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The liquor stores sell 99 cents bottles of rum and there's cheap wisky. that cost about 3 dollars. i don't give them money but if they say its for food i offer to go buy it for them if they say no its clear they didn't want it for food.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just tell them I can't help them.

I do not like people bumming or panhandling money.

I get up every day at 5:00 a.m. to go to work, and I work hard for my money I earn.

I do not give it away to anyone. No matter how sad their story is.

Panhandlers are just like pigeons or crows - if you feed them, they just multiply.

I know it sounds hard-hearted, but I do not give them any money.

It just encourages them to keep begging.

It is a hard knocks world. Life is tough. No one owes you anything. And money is not free - you have to earn it.

So I just tell them I cannot help them. Firmly. But politely.

I wish people would quit giving them money too - it would clean up the street corners and underpasses....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next opportunity I get I'll ask a local cop. I'll bet if anybody knows what their buying for sure, they've seen it a thousand times.

Still seems really strange ALL the bums ask for $3 specifically. Never "a couple bucks?", or anything else. :/ Three bucks won't even buy a pack of cigarettes!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I met a nice girl near the dairy queen in Ypsilanti back in 2002, back then they were always axsin fo two dolla.

Inflation ya know.

·
Banned
608 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just the evolution of increase prices lol as funny as it sounds. It used to be they asked for a dollar but they know that of the percentage of people that do open there wallet they can give out more IF they ask for a bit higher amount. It's a numbers game. ie if they ask for a dollar from everyone and 20 people give them a dollar well they only make 20 bucks that day. well if they ask for 2 dollars then say 18 people open there wallent and hand them 2 dollars they make 36 dollars that day. Same logic the people that do open there wallet easily can pay out an extra dollar I mean what's an extra dollar or two to most of us it's chump change. So say they get 15 people to give them 3 dollars that 45 dollars.

during my time living downtown Minneapolis I got asked by TONS of bums wanting free money. I usually never stop walking and just said "I don't give out money" or if it was late at night and more risky I would usually say " I don't have any money" Even when people ask to use my phone I always tell them oh it's almost dead or I don't have one lol (best not to say you don't have a phone because odds are it will ring in that moment LMAO, or 1/2 a block you will want to whip it out and txt sum1 haha)

Usually I do notice to most bums 3 bucks is equivalent to 20bucks for us. Meaning I seen bums buy 2 hotdogs and a can of pop at a gas station. Also seen them buy a cheap can of beer too. Dollar store mouthwash is by far cheaper and better way to get drunk if they wanted to get drunk! Also bus fair does cost around 3bucks in my metro area and I have been told by so many bums that it costs them 3 bucks to get a bed at a shelter lol I dont think it's true because I think thats just a line but perhaps after a few months they do charge them idk. either way it's the art of begging anyone who is STILL asking for ONE dollar or a quarter is either a noob bum or really crazy haha..

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was at the pharmacy the other day getting my meds filled. As I was walking out a guy mid 20's came up behind me and asked me for $5-10. He said he was trying to get his family home. I told him I was sorry but couldn't help him, I'm on limited income now and have to watch my spending. Anyway he get's very aggressive like he is gonna take my wallet or something. My instinct was get ready. I didn't know what he was prepared to do ( knife or gun). I knew my firearm was ready, so I am backing away and I got in my truck. I really didn't want to have to shoot him, but due to health reasons I don't scrap as well as I used to. I was glad he walked away, I called the police and they just said they would look into it. I don't know what happened, I just left.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Homeless women are convenient dates. After the date, you can pretty much drop them off anywhere. Saves gas, yanno?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Probably a bottle of fortified wine, manischevitz or similar

1 - 20 of 22 Posts