Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. get a physical! don't wait till you are coughing up blood to see the doctor

2. address your medical problems, do the diet, loose some weight, lower your cholesterol, these problems will lay you to rest ( literally ) if unattended.

3. keep dental work current! an impacted tooth can cause the infection to spread through the mouth or to spread into the cranium (you won't like this...trust me)

4.keep in shape! don't wait till the war starts to think about getting in gear!

I will give the floor to anyone else who might have something they might want to add...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing.

get the training you need NOW...if you snooze you loose
you should have multiple lessons & projects going. the more you can do the better off you are!

·
Registered
966 Posts
It is easy to buy something. Stayin' fit is a different story. Watch reality shows like Doomsday Prepper, what a hoot!

·
Registered
425 Posts
By that, I mean from the stock that you are storing away, NOT from shopping centers. The best way to know that you will continue to eat well after whatever happens. Also helps to rotate your stock so fresh is always coming in to replace the stuff you use.

How long can you go without a shopping trip?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My opinion for what it's worth.....

Get in shape and stay in shape (I know it's already been said but it's worth repeating)

Research - learn what life might be like when the SHTF and how to deal with it

Start a library - printed not digital

Get some training - firearms & hand to hand

Start stockpiling supplies, food, ammo, medical ect.

Have a plan...how are you going to get to your bugout location? What are you going to do once you get there?

There are a lot of things you can do it increase your chance of survival...you just have to do them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

·
Registered
110 Posts
Start a library - printed not digital
I really like this idea.
- Medical/first aid "how to's".
- "Country living/how to do everything in the world from scratch" type books.
- Gardening (including controlling pests/diseases)

And a ton more. Cause all these great ideas on the net will be gone.

·
Registered
559 Posts
1. get a physical! don't wait till you are coughing up blood to see the doctor

2. address your medical problems, do the diet, loose some weight, lower your cholesterol, these problems will lay you to rest ( literally ) if unattended.

3. keep dental work current! an impacted tooth can cause the infection to spread through the mouth or to spread into the cranium (you won't like this...trust me)

4.keep in shape! don't wait till the war starts to think about getting in gear!

I will give the floor to anyone else who might have something they might want to add...
I let #3 go for a few years, cost me probably 3x what it should have to get everything fixed...

All great points!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Get a subscription and start reading! SERIOUSLY it's good stuff! And NO, I'm not associated & they don't pay me for plugs. LOL! Best magazine I've ever seen though.

self-reliance | homesteading | canning | backwoods | magazine
Just ordered my subscription!

Hopefully sometime before Christmas you'll see a fullpage add in there with my avatar...(freaking expensive though!)

Was thinking of getting mother earth news too, I used to read those at the library all the time... Need to find a cheap/easy way to get a lot of the back issues of both.

·
Registered
559 Posts
And a little over $400 dollars later I have everything BHM has put out on its way to me. Alright, so, hopefully it will make a nice bed for me to sleep on when the wife sees it :-D.

·
Registered
904 Posts
On a Friday night, go outside your home and shut off the main electrical breaker to your house and the water supply. See how fun it is to go without either for just two days. If you have a family, it is even more exciting. Nothing like a little practice to improve your skills.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a Friday night, go outside your home and shut off the main electrical breaker to your house and the water supply. See how fun it is to go without either for just two days. If you have a family, it is even more exciting. Nothing like a little practice to improve your skills.
yes, I am still looking for a good light system, gave up on candles, and oil lamps ( most are cheap) I have tries a lantern but having to keep a window open for ventilation might not be effective in winter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By that, I mean from the stock that you are storing away, NOT from shopping centers. The best way to know that you will continue to eat well after whatever happens. Also helps to rotate your stock so fresh is always coming in to replace the stuff you use.

How long can you go without a shopping trip?
I am still working on stock rotation. I stock real food not MRE's
I plan to bug in.
once you bug out you have to have some place to go or you become "that other guy that every one is getting ready for"

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I just got two Aladdin lamps at a garage sale for $1! Both need mantels and one needs a chimney but that is a fantastic price.
I use them with alcohol and liquid paraffin because I am sensitive to kerosine and diesel oil fumes. All I have to do now is locate a parts source and get the replacement parts and I will have a total of four Aladdin lamps, Two Coleman type multi-fuel lamps, and a host of "hurricane" lamps that run on liquid paraffin.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I plan to bug in.
once you bug out you have to have some place to go or you become "that other guy that every one is getting ready for"
Good thinking..:) Bugging out is fine if we absolutely MUST get out of the cities (depending on what kind of disaster hits us) but it could be rough out there-
"It's a dangerous business going out your door"- Bilbo Baggins
so it might be better to stand our ground at home.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MOVE some where with fewer people, and buy a bicycle to get around on!!!!

I currently live on a small island in the Pacific North West, and this is about as good a location as it gets for surviving most of the usual apocalyptic scenarios ... barring a catastrophic continent changing earthquake with accompanying tsunami.

And since I moved to this small island, I do most of my travel BY BICYCLE!!
Don't really need a car here for my local shoppinbg or whatever.

I lose about 2 lbs, and gain in muscle mass and cardio fitness every time I go around my island on my bike.
YPMMV
LAZ 1

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Living on one of the San Juan islands, though very nice, poses some unique problems.
How do you resupply if the ferry system is down?
Do you have a proper boat to get where you need to go?
Do you have sufficient ground to grow what you need?

I have visited a few of those islands. There are some issues there---
Friday used to have a lot of Hares but---

1 - 20 of 25 Posts