Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to use my water supply to stay clean, we would go through it way faster imo. I have heard that some people stock up on baby wipes, they stay moist if they stay sealed. If they do dry up, I guess you just have to add a little water and it makes them moist again. What are your plans to stay clean? what do you think about using baby wipes?

Gman303

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
With all the water we have our plan is to have full running water Gravity feed except in winter then it will be only when needed and heated by a water heating wood stove.
Soap made for lye and Soap tree should do.

·
Registered
887 Posts
As long as you can wash your privates and pits your probably "clean enough" even in todays standards depending on how hard you worked that day.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I live near two rivers and a large freshwater lake. I plan to use a bucket and soap to get cleaned off, and then do a final rinse in a kiddie wading pool half filled with distilled water made over an open wood campfire in a fire pit. There are a lot of germs and bacteria in untreated water, so a final rinse will keep you from getting a case of the creeping crud, or worse.

In my BOBs/GHBs/hunting pack I use sanitary wet wipes in the foil packages. You can get boxes of 24 wipes at Wally World for ~$3.00. These work for sanitary purposes, and also for washing your hands just to eat, or cleaning a wound (these are antiseptic). I also keep a bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer in each pack, along with toilet paper and paper shop towels. I also keep a toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, and floss sticks, and a small bottle of Listerine -- also serves as a wound cleaner/antiseptic. And I keep a tube of Neosporin in with bandaids.

I also carry similar setups when I travel for work. So many surfaces you have to touch when you travel, so I use the wipes to clean my hands (and tray table on airplanes) before I eat.

·
Administrator
14,679 Posts
I have stood in the rain with a bar of soap before, learned how to brush my teeth and shave on a canteen cup 1/2 full of fresh water.
Yes, you will smell bad, you just learn to enjoy life's little luxuries, things that you had always taken for granted.

Reactions: prepgirl and jrclen

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have baby wipes in my stockpile but also have soap, shampoo, and water water water.
I agree on the wet wipes a small sealed container can have 80+ wipes in it, that makes up for a Mountain of Toilet paper. I have backpacked all over the World and one container of wet wipes is gold and people will love you for telling them to supply them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
As long as you can wash your privates and pits your probably "clean enough" even in todays standards depending on how hard you worked that day.
Don't forget to take care of your feet. There's only one thing worse than humping a heavy alice pack and weapons all over creation on painful blistered feet and thats sitting down at camp within smelling distance of some numbnut who won't wash their socks or take care of his/her feet. Let it happen just once and your posse will set you straight in short order.
To the OP, build a simple sand filter with a drum or barrel to filter the water for most needs, then chemically treat or use a solar still to satisfy you potable water needs. Great post, thanks for stirring this one up for us.

punch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts