• Economic Collapse

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Peak Oil

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Other

Votes: 18 32.1%

What are you prepping for?

7K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  Lucky Jim 
Well living out of the Hurricane areas now with small chance of major long term weather problems lasting more than a few months. So I guess now it would be a total financial collapse and all the social upheaval that would bring with it, would be my choice.

At this point in the polling, I see that no one is prepping for the Yosemite Super Volcano, any reason behind this? I know that the chances of it blowing up in our lifetime aren't that high, but volcanic eruptions can be pretty unpredictable so it certainly is possible. I know that a super quake in L.A. is supposed to happen soon, I think it's ten years overdue if I remember correctly, that wouldn't affect the nation as a whole as bad as a super volcano eruption, but it certainly would cause a lot of problems for that part of the country, as well as the rest of us in one way or the other. Also, I guess a foreign invasion is pretty unrealistic for the most part, although it wouldn't be that farfetched for a country to EMP us and simply let us destroy ourselves with the loss of the power grid, that would certainly spell the end of civilized society for obvious reasons.
I would be but living in the upper part of the country if it happens it will be stay where we are and survive till the air clears if possible. Another problem is a rather large volcano off the cost of Africa that is due to go off breaking the island in half. Now that will take out the western cost of Africa in about 14 seconds and the east cost of this continent in about 2 days. It is estimated that everything under 320 meters will be gone which is most of the US to Appalachians mountain range. If you are in Florida be prepared to surf to Mexico.

I completely agree, the loss of the power grid, no matter how it happens, is what will destroy any country. Once you have no power, you have no electricity obviously, but this would mean no food, transportation, public works, shipping, heating...etc. And in today's society where everything runs on electricity, there would be no way to control the social collapse that would occur with it. There would be looting and murdering on an unprecedented scale, governments would collapse, and the entire country would destroy itself from within. I love talking about the loss of the power grid and the negative affects of it, if anyone is also interested I can make a thread for it where we can discuss theories of how it would happen and go in more detail about every aspect of what life would be like with a loss of the power grid, if anyone is interested let me know. We could have some very interesting discussions I'm sure.
I couldn't agree more. Loss the power as we did in Andrew for 5 months for some and 4 for the lucky ones with it goes water in some cases as it did in the Homestead FL area. Cell phone service and well as most land line service was also gone for about 8 months on the cell phone. Gasoline becomes a no get regardless if the stations have it since the pumps don't work nor does ATM or banks. Medical attention is erratic at best and forget police and fire departments they are in the same boat as everyone else. Roads are impassible and those that are street lights don't work. It took 2 weeks before the National Guard showed up with a month passing before FEMA, Red Cross and other organizations could get in. The first food and water came in by truck for who knows who but think it was donated as it sure didn't come from any organization we heard of that normally would be on the scene with in a reasonable amount of time (a week at most). Since then my wife and I decided to change our style of living all together and stay prepared as best as we could regardless of what might cause it. We did manage to salvage a propane stove and some can goods from our total destroyed home but little else. Between what we had and one of my sons who lived very near me we managed to get by for 2 weeks on the can goods and water on hand. Luckily he was a doctor and could tend to my badly damaged neck due to the roof coming down on me. A month later I final got 10 miles away to a hospital for an MRI and treatment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.