Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
I was actually in Mississippi (out in the country) for a few years when Katrina hit. Even though I was a long way from the coast (near Water Valley, MS) we received massive damage and extended power outages from the storm. A lot of people who had evacuated to our area, ended up having to go further north, up to Memphis. In some situations, I was reminded of the goodness of people coming together in an emergency. In other situations I was horrified by how quickly people resort to looting and destroying each other. It was definitely eye opening for me...
Is this what helped Memphis turn into the shithole that it has become? BLM/muzslimes?

· Registered
343 Posts
Back in 93 when I left the Marines I had spent 21 years watching the changes and getting orders that just make no sense. I knew it was time to pack up my family and go somewhere we could live without a lot of government BS. Now 23 years ago I was figuring monetary colapse now I think more along the lines of ISIS, civil disobediance and EMP's. We have fought forest fires and lived through snow storms it's the government I'm worried about.

· Banned
4,010 Posts
When I first started prepping, I was really just preparing for a rainy day. I wanted to make sure the pantry was always full.

Later on, following Hurricane Katrina, I started getting more serious about prepping for weather emergencies.

The last year though, I have begun to be more concerned about social unrest and what could happen when people decide they have had enough...
Good to know that you're not just a professional website watcher, that you really share an interest in this topic.

I like the pic on your homepage of the beaver and the tortilla.

· Administrator
2,799 Posts
Good to know that you're not just a professional website watcher, that you really share an interest in this topic.

I like the pic on your homepage of the beaver and the tortilla.
I love those guys. Although they do look similar to beavers they are actually known as, Nutria. (aka river rats) http://nutria.com/

· Banned
4,010 Posts
Prepping in case the power grid really goes down for whatever reason and the social problems it would cause.

I believe than mankind's ability to harness energy is both a reason and the cause of the industrial revolution and the rapid change in lifestyle humans have gone through the last 140 years. Think about life in 1880 verses today. What allowed such a rapid change? What would happen if our ability to harness energy was interrupted for just a few weeks or months?

· Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm preparing for a New Madrid Earthquake on par with the ones from 1811/1812, tornadoes, ice storms, pandemics, social unrest, and zombie apocalypses :tango_face_smile:. All right not so much zombie apocalypses but the others are legitimate threats and I do put items back for them, probably not as much as some other members have but I'm just getting started. Actually it was The Walking Dead and the CDC pamplet about preparing for zombies that got me off my rear and eventually brought me to these forums.

I really expect something to happen but I believe its going to be a short term and or localized event. The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is probaly the most extreme example of SHTF and WROL that we've had in a while as far as suspension of services, looters/criminals, and abuse from LEO's. Its a good real world template to use when making your preps from event, suspension of services to restoration of services and return of law and order.

· Administrator
2,799 Posts
If you've ever driven 1-10 through Louisiana, you might see a few dead Nutria Rats...Pests through and through...
Driven that route many times over the years.

There is a little truck stop along that way (Tiger Truck Stop) around Grosse Tete, LA that makes the BEST red beans, rice, and gator sausage I have ever had.

· Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
In some situations, I was reminded of the goodness of people coming together in an emergency. In other situations I was horrified by how quickly people resort to looting and destroying each other. It was definitely eye opening for me...
Whatever comes our way, you will see this on a much grander scale. There will be those who come together and those that choose to destroy.

I intend to help where I can. But I also have no intention of becoming a victim. That's a role I don't play well.

ETA: Fortunately this is Texas. I don't think gun confiscation would go over too well here.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
Before Katrina, I used to laugh at friends and family when they talked about hiding weapons because they believed that there would come a day when the police would come for them. I truly believed that they were being paranoid. Then, in New Orleans, following the storm, they (the police) started confiscating guns. There are still people who believe it never happened. https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-confiscation-can-and-has-happened-in-america
If I recall that was the policy of a bad mayor and police chief that got destroyed in court when the NRA stepped in and filed a lawsuit. Even at that I heard they where difficult in returning guns to their owners requiring "proof of purchase" so on and so forth. The stories I read about people being held at gunpoint by the police where horrifying. I know this doesn't represent all of law enforcement, there where some extreme acts of bravery by men and women wearing a badge in New Orleans but the fact that there where some doing it is troubling. My state passed a law saying authorities have no right to take guns due to disaster after Katrina

· Registered
5,453 Posts
I don't believe the end is near or that we are all about to overwhelmed by a zombie apocalypse. I don't subscribe to the idea that global warming will cause the ocean to flood my home.

I do think that we are becoming more complacent and less concerned about our neighbors. I think that people are less inclined to work and more compelled to take, rather than earn. My eye opener was Katrina.

I prepare for a short term disaster and the possibility that the Government will object to me owning a firearm.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm not prepping for any particular event as there are too many possible scenarios swirling around right now.
I want to be able to survive wave one whatever it is and evaluate what is going on. We're good to go for quite sometime
and able to put up a good fight to defend our turf if necessary. Right now I think our country is or has entered un-charted waters
and we are like a big rudderless ship still steaming along but out of control. Sooner or later we are going to run aground or someone is going to sink us!

I learned the value of prepping early on living thru a hurricane in FL when I was a kid and a bad tornado in 74. The storm in 74 pretty much destroyed
my neighborhood and my first car. The power was out for about a month but no worries we had a generator and plenty of canned food and we had a well.
Our street was blocked for about a week and the national guard had a check point set up to get in and out. Had my dad and grandma not prepped somewhat
that whole recovery period would have sucked!

Three times we have lost power for multiple days and one of those was a very cold stretch in the winter but no problems here and it was a good
test to see our capabilities. I keep tweeking what we have and pretty much stay in condition yellow anymore and standing by for the coming storm!

· Registered
24,528 Posts
What am I preparing for?

Ultimately, I am preparing for the day the power goes out and society finds itself naked, cold and afraid. I figure if you prepare for that, all the bases are covered.

As it stands, I am prepared for a few weeks of eating stored food cooked over propane-fueled stoves, drinking water taken from nearby creeks that is filtered through a Propur filtration system.

· Registered
11,822 Posts
I have the local immediate needs covered. ( Mainly weather ) The brewing storm on the horizon that is civil unrest, lights out, and war is the storm that most worries me..

Reactions: Maol9

· Registered
4,678 Posts
If I recall that was the policy of a bad mayor and police chief that got destroyed in court when the NRA stepped in and filed a lawsuit. Even at that I heard they where difficult in returning guns to their owners requiring "proof of purchase" so on and so forth. The stories I read about people being held at gunpoint by the police where horrifying. I know this doesn't represent all of law enforcement, there where some extreme acts of bravery by men and women wearing a badge in New Orleans but the fact that there where some doing it is troubling. My state passed a law saying authorities have no right to take guns due to disaster after Katrina
that's what pizzes me off more than anything - not admitting their freaking guilt - everybody's second cousin gets the blame for confiscating guns and that blame comes from the local LEOs - and everybody that was down there knows who was involved ....

if you look around there's tell all articles from the LEOs that were on duty and admit that there was confiscation - and public safety came second when a $800-$1000 handgun was involved ....

21 - 40 of 78 Posts