Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We try to live our life as if we can turn this around and life will go on . Maybe with a few bumps but it will get back on track. So we invest as if there is a tomorrow.
To not do so is foolish In our opinion.
We also know where this country is currently headed and it don't look good. That is why we put so much energy into being prepared .
If SHTF money and investments even gold will be worthless.
Your GM stock is not going to taste good for dinner. Gold can be taken by those with more firepower , nothing new this happens all over the world.
Living in the current world and preparing for what may come is a balancing act. The goals change for time to time.
It turns out now some of the weapons we stocked up one have now out paced Gold. But they are an invest in out security not monetary wealth and will not be treated as such.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It depends on the situation. If there is a currency crisis, I would get out of fiat currency/paper money ASAFP. I would buy as much food as I can load in my truck immediately in that case, and hopefully will have made my move before the merchants realize what has happened. Then I would buy as much gasoline as I can store, then switch to bottled water and Gatorade. Then medical supplies. I would use cash as quickly as I could before it becomes completely devalued. But that is only in that rare scenario. Otherwise, I would buy land with my capital.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Farmland. No I mean farmland really. My brother and I just bought boatloads of it. Escrow closes in 27 days!
Excellent move......"As the U.S. farm population has dwindled, the average age of farmers continues to rise. In fact, about forty percent of the farmers in this country are 55 years old or older (Bureau of Labor Statistics)."

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
In a National Emergency governments usually close banks and freeze assets etc, so your money's no good if you can't get at it

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
There is something to be said about diversification.

Guns, ammo, gold, silver, land, seed, toilet paper :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told never to depend on gold or silver, reason being; their value is based on the dollar, soooo if the dollar loses its value, the metals will too. If that happens it won't be worth squat, you might as well trade rocks for rocks. This is how it was explained to me by someone that invests other ppl's money everyday. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was told never to depend on gold or silver, reason being; their value is based on the dollar, soooo if the dollar loses its value, the metals will too. If that happens it won't be worth squat, you might as well trade rocks for rocks. This is how it was explained to me by someone that invests other ppl's money everyday. Your thoughts?
Sounds a bit backward to me; dollar 'notes' used to be based on gold, not the other way around. It was separated years ago.

History of the United States dollar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Today, like the currency of most nations, the dollar is flat money, unbacked by any physical asset."

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Well I'm investing in farm land as I've noted, but I'm also a silver hoarder and have very little gold. Now I have more farm land then I need to feed my family so it's safe to say I'm going to produce more then I can consume or need. Your bag of rocks won't buy it! You could trade me your labor if I need it and trust you, some toilet paper or some silver. Yes I might take ammo and guns too. The amount will be an agreement based on my perceived value of what is traded and yours. But I can assure you, I don't perceive your bag of rocks to be worth a recognizable ounce of silver.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
BTW a tip on TP. It makes decent insulation. Meaning if you put it in your attic it insulates and stores well, and it's out of the way.

·
Registered
887 Posts
IMO silver will hold more value then Gold. Not in a true sense but as a tradeable. Those of us lower class folk use silver jewelry and will make our jewelry from silver before Gold anyday. So in that sense as a precious metal and for jewelry it will retain better value then gold as a tradeable. But thats just my opinionated opinion on precious metals. Crystal/Jade/Bronze all have intrinsic value for jewelry making and spiritual use to many. So yeah m,aybe not as a currency but theres a group of people that are like minded to ourselves that will always hold these items as having value. What that value will be noone can predict but I can guarantee jewelry making will never loose its status as a trade. But if you feel the need to walk around laden in Gold post SHTF I wish you the best.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I believe Hackers have this knowledge and are forcing some hands to be played at this point. It least Id like to believe that. Alot of falling corruption in the Banking world the past 2 years. Im sure there replaced by new cronies but one must find a glimmer of sense somewhere. Ive noticed a change in media lately and they are definently on someones leash at the moment. Fox even posted a message Hacker supported during by one of there broadcasts. I promise I took a double take too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts