Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Over the last 26 years as a peace officer, I've carried any number of on duty and off duty weapons. Now retired and working part time for the USMS, I tend to carry one of three. A Colt Pony in .380, a KelTec P-32 or a new Ruger LCP II .22. I know that none of them are as deadly as my Glock 23 which I carry on duty, but I'm just a wee bit too old to be lugging that much iron around a small town.

That said I still have my old stand by should things change (like it did last summer with riots in almost every major US City) and my Charter Arms Undercover with +P loads will make any non respectful mopes see the new light of day

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Must be tough carrying an F-150, real tough if it is wet,

myself I prefer my S&W 3913, which I have on me now with 2 spare mags.

ROM, I have one of those Charters' also and it too is loaded with +P.

I don't carry it, just in a hidden house location if needed.

It was left to me by a passed friend along with 15 other guns.

I never shot it and neither did he.

This is my primary warm weather carry piece, 25 years now.

It can use mags from my police service S&W 639 if needed, but have plenty of dedicated mags for it.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Must be tough carrying an F-150, real tough if it is wet.

Well, considering this F-150 is 27 years old I think a nice dry garage is the least I can do. In fact, usually the Ford shop I go to might even spray the bottom side of your truck to get the road salt off your under-carriage.

Over the years there has been a few minor gizmos that need a going over. The one thing I haven't needed is a thorough rebuild of the engine. I have 120,000 on it now, and the mechanics tell me it should go 200,000 for a good tune-up.

It might sound like bragging, but when all the neighbors cannot get a vehicle started my F-150 turns on the first key-start.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
TCA controller to SR-71, Blackbird1 what is your speed and altitude? reply, 78,000 AGL, IAS 2,100.
TCA, roger, permission to pass over the F-150.

I keep both Grand Cherokees outside all the time, they always start all winter first turn of the key.
Your winters are no worse than those here in the north east.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
TCA controller to SR-71, Blackbird1 what is your speed and altitude? reply, 78,000 AGL, IAS 2,100.
TCA, roger, permission to pass over the F-150.

I keep both Grand Cherokees outside all the time, they always start all winter first turn of the key.
Your winters are no worse than those here in the north east.
To add to this, in the fall/winter I carry a Sig 228 and a S&W 642, 642 is in coat pocket so I don't have to take it out to use.
At times I carry a S&W 1911 or a Colt Commander along with the 642.
Oh, I wash the undercarriage of my Jeeps myself.

Time to go and make my wonton soup, the kid and dogs love it, plus the old lady neighbors.

·
Administrator
15,449 Posts
Well, today I was working all day clearing these nasty vines from the chainlink around the chicken pen, and also from a couple unused chainlink dog kennels that are in an adjacent area.
So, I was carrying one of my Ruger Single Sixes, the one with 6.5" barrel and magnum cylinder.
First three rounds were CCI snake shot, final three were Winchester Dynapoint 45 grain loads.

Snakes around the sheds are left alone, but if I find one in the chicken area it is lights out. Snakes big enough will steal eggs, and snakes of any size will freak out the hens and sometimes they'll stop laying for a while they are so scared.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Today I got lazy. Frankly, I was tired of the patter and the reasons I had to dream up over the vital items I felt were needed that day in Wisconsin. The problem here is that I'm in a fairly friendly area and I haven't seen or smelled a fight in ten years--or at least it felt like ten years.

More to the point, I'm more dangerous with a knife than a firearm. The issue is pretty simple. People in Wisconsin were some of the last civil citizens to obtain a personal firearm from the state agencies. For me, a "knife" is a tool I used for over 20 years. A personal "firearm" is something I sadly might use going to a mall at night.

I do use a small .380 pistol when I'm just out retrieving my wife and the big bundle of packages she might buy. I guess I don't find the additional "vital enhancement" most of you feel over a pistol. My knife edges reflect a mirror finish, and for most loud-mouth guys, just a simple flash is more than they seem to need to withdraw...

·
Registered
80 Posts
In between a Glock 43 AIWB and Glock 19 AIWB side car. Being in the south, carry options sometimes depend on the temps but these are my go-tos. Keeping it simple and reliable.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Dang this old thread got kicked back to life. I still lug a NAA .22 mouse gun in the pocket for around the house. I add a Sig P226 .40 two loaded magazines, a light weight ASP clone and small can of pepper spray when leaving home. In hot weather I use a Crotch carry Possum Pouch for the Gun and Ammo and the other stuff goes in my nail apron..covered by a long tail untucked shirt. In cold weather it goes in my leather Biker vest with hidden pockets. I used to try to carry all that stuff on a gunbelt with suspenders under my shirt to hold up my pants in the summer but the crotch holster and the nail apron has solved a lot of issues. I carry all kinds of other stuff in it. Knife smokes contraband etc. lol.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,036 Posts
and the other stuff goes in my nail apron..
It's the second time you've mentioned it in a few days, so I have to ask...
Why do you wear a nail apron as part of your every day carry?
Is it job related? Does it fulfil a unique role?

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
It's the second time you've mentioned it in a few days, so I have to ask...
Why do you wear a nail apron as part of your every day carry?
Is it job related? Does it fulfil a unique role?
Glad you asked. It solves a problem for old guys who don't have enough pockets to lug all their stuff around. Old guys man purse..lol. In my present job I wear shorts in hot weather and long pants in cold weather. The contents of my pouch currently consists of heart pills three packs of smokes pepper spray asp car keys pocket knife etc. I never could lug that stuff around without it. lol. When I go to work in hot weather the peashooter and a full extra mag goes in the possum pouch and I am ready for work. Simple huh? lol Amazon sells em cheap.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Well, guys, I did do some additional thinking, and much of that has to do with my wife.

Now, my wife has all of the premium steel knives a woman can use, but in the end she cannot tell a butcher knife from a stiletto. She just doesn't care in the long run. Guns to her are just "loud boys' toys."

She does let me buy them, but then, with all the additional chores I must due many of these toys get pretty dusty...

181 - 195 of 195 Posts