Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, newbie prepper here. Have about two months supply of food, water and an ounce of gold and $15 face value of silver. What do you all think my chances of riding out a disaster in a medium sized city? I take the pessimistic view that my neighbors would pull together in a crisis. I have means of protection should someone bust in, but don't know if that would be enough if there is a total breakdown.

Thanks! Love reading your posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree shot lady. update droid back is to count on neighbors especially if they don't prep. They will take advanage if they have no access to food or water you will be at Target . You need arms for defense or they will take advanage. I suggest trying to get more stores and/or a bug up location in case you need to take your stores and leave the area.

·
Registered
640 Posts
greeneguy... Most people that say they have a two month supply of food will sadly discover that they have about 3-4 weeks worth of food. Here's a couple of reasons why: 1) Most of us underestimate what we actually consume on a daily basis. 2) If you were in a power outage situation, you will burn more energy doing things manually 3) If it's winter... you'll need more food to heat your body 4) No matter how hard-assed you say you are, I guarantee you will end up sharing some of that with family or close friends 5) (For this one I'm assuming you aren't storing 2 months worth of canned chili and pork and beans) If you've never cooked with freeze-dried, dehydrated, etc food, you are bound to make mistakes and ruin part of it, especially if you are now using a grill or campfires to prepare it.

As far as gold and silver... the smallest coins you can find are your best bet. It's easier to trade a dime sized piece of silver than a dollar sized one. Especially if they only have a small amount to trade.

However, here's the sad reality. If you are in a mid-sized city... about 99% of the people around you will be unprepared. So... if they find out you have food and water, or hear that you are trying to trade silver or gold for items, count on a few deciding to relieve you of that food, water, and coinage. So... if you are anti-gun or your city is... You might want to invest in other weapons. Even a baseball bat will keep one to two people at bay. If there is more than that... well... how you prepare is up to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The reality is even though you may have enough food for 2-3 months, it will probably run out quicker than you think depending on the situation. Not knowing what you are prepping for, (as shotlady put it) make sure you have a plan "b", and then a plan "c". Contingency plans should be thought of ahead of time and have back ups to those.

As far as your gold and silver (like woadwarrior) I would make sure to have lots of junk silver around. I keep more silver coins around than gold or even just silver. My theory is that if it's really that bad and you need it to acquire needed supplies, there isn't going to be anyone willing to make change for that gold nugget you might have just for a loaf of bread, etc. Silver coins are easy to find, easy to store, and worth more to me than gold. That doesn't mean that I don't have any gold, but I only keep about 10-15% gold for all the silver I keep around.

Even though your neighbors may band together in a disaster, don't be surprised if some of them loose their minds like the multitude of other sheep that are out there too. If you're going to share with them, never let them know exactly what and how much you have. If your neighbors are all making their way to a collection point (for food, water, or whatever) make sure you are in line with them too (even if you don't need it right away). This will keep them thinking that you are in just as bad a shape as they are, and will make it less likely that they will be looking to you for a hand out.

I've got several neighbors that I think would band together too, but I've never talked to any of them about me being prepared. They know that I have the means of protecting myself and family, but that's all they need to know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You need some way to defend yourself/family. I would recommend a reliable firearm and an ample supply of ammunition. You can get a pump action shotgun and 25 rounds of buckshot (not ample, but a good start), for $400 or under.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stash some more food and water and as Shotlady suggested. "Have a plan B."

Also as your neighbors start going hungry or thirsty. Don't be seen or smelled cooking and eating. If they don't know you have it. They won't try to take it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.