Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always pull towards BDU pants and tops, but that's because of my military time wearing them. I always thought Carhartt's were, but after I bought 4 pairs of jeans from them a couple years back and 2 ripped at various places I'd say no now. I still like Levi's, but there's other options I'm sure you all can share for people to look into.

;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've worn Levis since the late 1940s. The denim isn't nearly as heavy as it use to be, but I can get them in the size I like/need (33" waist) instead of having to go to an even size (32,34,36, etc.), they are comfortable, and they wear well. And since I'm retired, I wear them about 95% of the time. I also wear 5.11 cargo pants--the original heavy 8.5oz cotton canvas ones, and they are very durable. Unfortunately, they only come in the even sizes. And yah, I know, "cotton kills", but it's also comfortable, durable, and I wear it daily. I don't feel the need to be prepared to "take to the woods" every moment of every day. I intend to hunker down in place for a while anyway. I can't carry all my guns, ammo, and supplies in a backpack anyway.:smile:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think near everything Carhartt makes now is overseas produced and the quality isn't all that and a bag of chips from what I've seen. I bought a what should have been nice cotton lined jacket from them too in a larger size for me at my size, but was horrible also. It didn't rip apart, but the size was much smaller than it should have been and the outer cotton color (black) faded in a odd stripped pattern and grayed after 1 wash. Needless to say I won't be buying anything more from Carhartt. The only thing I got from them also that has actually worn and fit well is an OD green color button shirt, but that doesn't make up for all the rest. I hear good things about Duluth Trading company clothes but haven't tried them.

Men's Workwear, Women's Work Wear, Work Clothing

·
Registered
93 Posts
good reports on Duluth

I gave up on carharts years ago.

levi's, dickie's ,wrangler stuff from 5 11

·
Registered
93 Posts
oh and i have a jacket made my Justins. its just like carhart and they make other great clothing and if memory serves along with boots

·
Registered
936 Posts
LL Bean or 5.11. Both will cost a little more than others but they're extremely durable.

Reactions: rim and Fuzzee

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like Walls for coveralls. Yeah, I know, but crawl around under an ATV in the mud cutting away the barbed wire you just ran over from your CV joints and they start making serious sense. But you still look like a dork wearing them.

Duluth Trading Company makes great pants and flannel shirts.

Don't expect much love from the ladies while wearing these though.

I wear 5.11 Tactical TDUs for trekking in the woods on foot. Digital woodlands camo. Tough.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like Walls for coveralls. Yeah, I know, but crawl around under an ATV in the mud cutting away the barbed wire you just ran over from your CV joints and they start making serious sense. But you still look like a dork wearing them.

Duluth Trading Company makes great pants and flannel shirts.

Don't expect much love from the ladies while wearing these though.

I wear 5.11 Tactical TDUs for trekking in the woods on foot. Digital woodlands camo. Tough.
It's not the pants and shirt so much as whats in them that I've found. Big ocean too and lots of fish in them with different tastes.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having been a avid hiker in the scouts I never had a pair of pants last more than 40-100 wears until there is starting to show damage from just usual wear (when not climbing through trees, bushes, thorns and other rip hazards.)
I've never owned a pair of work/outdoors that have lasted longer than two years. I'm hoping that hemp fabric clothing makes its way to our U.S. market soon since it is a fiber a hundred times stronger than cotton and with modern refinement we can produce fabric that is soft. (pretty much the reason hemp was replaced by cotton in the US was due to the material being too scratchy to wear)
I hope to be able to fully replace my wardrobe with hemp clothing before a SHTF event occurs... now if our government would just end the monstrous waste of money called the "war on drugs" so some industry can sprout...

Here's an article with more info on hemp

Textile Properties : Hemp Fabric : Hemp Clothing : HempTraders.com

Superior Properties

Hemp fiber is one of the strongest and most durable of all natural textile fibers. Products made from hemp will outlast their competition by many years. Not only is hemp strong, but it also holds its shape, stretching less than any other natural fiber. This prevents hemp garments from stretching out or becoming distorted with use. Hemp may be known for its durability, but its comfort and style are second to none. The more hemp is used, the softer it gets. Hemp doesn't wear out, it wears in. Hemp is also naturally resistant to mold and ultraviolet light.

Due to the porous nature of the fiber, hemp is more water absorbent, and will dye and retain its color better than any fabric including cotton. This porous nature allows hemp to "breathe," so that it is cool in warm weather. Furthermore, air which is trapped in the fibers is warmed by the body, making hemp garments naturally warm in cooler weather.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hemp

Superior Properties

air which is trapped in the fibers is warmed by the body, as I smoke it.
Ah you're just looking to smoke your clothes when no ones looking.

400_F_16060496_IyVR5T5gTokKE1wX7KajaveFbitzemFm.jpg

Ok I added the end part. :mrgreen:

Just kidding around of course. I've heard it's a tough fiber and don't know why the material isn't used more as it's not illegal as I understand it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Places like fleet farm and others have been selling surplus Military clothing and supplies , Much of it foreign Military. If you know how to shop for deals you can buy some darn good stuff that will keep you warm and dry for a very low cost.
Out standing 3 finger mitts that allow you to stay warm and still work or shoot. Wool outer garments and blankets.
you may not get a date wearing this stuff but you can get a good price on stuff that will work and last.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Simple for me I shop Good Will and Saint Vincents. There are a lot of good servicable AMERICAN Made things there.
Just a simple reminder to those who opt to go the camoflage rout.
The purpose of camop is to blend in. RIGHT?
So wearing BDU and going to town is not blending very well is it.
So please think a bit before going out dressed like GI Joe.
It just floors me to see the wanna be grunts at gun shows all decked out like the raid is going to happen any minute.
A wolf in sheeps clothing works if in a flock.
If you are running with a wolf pack then better dress like a wolf.
BLEND and do it cheaply, survival is not a metrosexual sport.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts