Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i live in an apartment from monday to friday and on the weekend i go to my grandparents on there small farm.
Ive been doing some gardening there, but i want to grow stuff on our apartment for practice/cheap food. I was just wondering whats some edible vegtables/fruits/herbs that i can grow ?

side note this is my 100th post, im a senior member now yay! lol i love this forum it only took me 4 days because im so addicted to the forum.

-Anthony

Reactions: GTGallop

·
Registered
243 Posts
Use the indoor time to start your plants from seed... tomatoes, peppers, etc. (With your short growing season, you need all the advance time you can get.) Then transplant to the farm when the weather is right. Pick up some seed catalogs to see what is suitable for you climate.

·
Super Moderator
9,177 Posts
Choose what you like to eat. Try some herbs you like. You can do this in small pots. I have grown cherry tomato's in a 5 gal bucket on my patio when I lived in an apt. I have a house now with almost no backyard and we were growing in pots. I need get back after that. My wife has a pot full of chives that she got from her mother a long time ago.

At one point someone here mentioned asparagus. They said let it go to seed a couple of seasons and you will have asparagus for life. That's an idea I can live with.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"side note this is my 100th post, im a senior member now yay! lol i love this forum it only took me 4 days because im so addicted to the forum.

-Anthony"

You are just as sick as the rest of us !!! :):)

Cherry and Grape tomatoes do well on a patio.
Herbs are always a great addition.
Chile peppers too...if you are into that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are so many vegetables & herbs you can grow indoors like: rosemary, thyme, parsley, watercress, cherry tomatoes, green onions, lettuce, and much more. Why not try and experiment and see what works for you and the different types of lighting you can use?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Lot of good ideas already Mushrooms in coffee grounds they add some flavor to your meals. Hanging basket tomatoes

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
How big is your patio?
Sun exposure?
Are you ground level or do you have any dirt or is it all concrete outside?

Have you been to your local "hydroponic" store? they specialize in selling hydroponic stuff to help people grow good fertile plants and a lot of it can be done indoors. If you do go - DO NOT GET ON THEIR MAILING LIST. These shops market to people to grow tomatoes but 90% of their customers are growing POT indoors. You show up on a fire arm list, a prepper list, some radical pot list and you are flagged.

That caveat aside - they can show you how to grow TONS of stuff indoors.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I say grow potatoes. Super easy. Here is a list of things you will need
5 gallon paint bucket
handful of lava rocks - maybe 30 or so
bag of potting soil
2 potatoes with a few eyes
3 bricks
plastic mat
Punch a few holes in the bottom with a screw driver, etc. put the bricks on the mat in a line of 3, then the bucket on the bricks to get it elevated. Put the lava rocks at the bottom of the bucket, they should cover the entire bottom. Then put about 2-3 inches of potting soil over the lava rocks. Then cut up the potatoes, so each piece has its own eye. I end up with about 4-6 pieces. Put the potato eyes in the soil in the bucket and cover them with more potting soil. About an inch or so. Water them just enough so a little water drips through to the mat. Not too much. I usually water twice a week. Once the eyes start to sprout, cover them with more soil just enough to bury them. Do this until the plant reach about 3 inches from the top of the bucket. Then just let it grow on its own. It takes 4-6 months. The plants will flower and die. When this happens, wait 1 more week, then you can dig up the potatoes. I usually get 4-6 pounds of potatoes from 1-2 potatoes. Spring to Fall, I grow about 30 pounds of potatoes. Super easy and cheap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to watch this show, they had some pretty good tips, talked to Marque on Facebook a couple of times and gave him some tips for the show!

·
Registered
257 Posts
My grandpa lives in a small condo with a tiny balcony, what he hated most after having to move there from his farm (for health reasons), was he couldn't garden anymore. But he's had great successes with various tomatoes, herbs, and peppers.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Hum I see your in Canada, pretty short growing season there. Some of the things I will suggest may not do too well there but I will give it a shot because I think you have a lot of options.

First and foremost look into sprouting sprouts from various legumes and beans. These usually have a very quick turn around time of just a few days. They are packed nutritionally and apply themselves to use in a number of dishes especially salads and asian dishes. They take up so very little space or attention. Its something you can likely do year round! It was a main stay aboard my boat when I was living on it and making several blue water crossings across the Pacific, that there ought to tell you a lot!

Another thing that can be grown well and in window sill boxes are Swiss Chard, Spinach, Leaf Lettuce and Radishes. These have a fairly quick turn around time from planting till the time they can be used. 6 to 8 24 inch window sill boxes should keep a little something for the dinner table or lunch coming every week. All Herbs will as well and there are few things in this world that can perk up an otherwise bland meal like some fresh herbs can. They are also usually quiet fragrant when growing. They are also usually pretty proud of them fresh at the grocery store. On a side note some of the more colorful varieties of Swish Chard can look quiet stunning and decorative growing on your patio to boot too!

If you have room for some containers or 5 gallon buckets some other things you might consider are Snow Peas, Broccoli, Cauliflower(sp?") or cucumbers. Diakon Radishes would also work well and are fairly cool weather hardy and can be used in place of potatoes in soups or in Oden, a Japanese Dish. If started inside well before the last frost you might have a chance at decent results with some of the earlier maturing Tomato varieties as well as Bell Peppers.

Just a few ideas I can think of...

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife has a pot full of chives that she got from her mother a long time ago.
Chives are a great idea because you cut them and they just keep growing back, I've had some in a pot for about 6 years now and every week or so I give them a snip.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
We really like alaskan sugar snap pees. There are variations of sugar snaps, Alaskans have edible beans in53 days from planting. We have had some amaizing luck in the past with one row eight feet long near a fence. You could have a small trellous, five feet tall.

We had a bunch. plant one group of 53 day and put in one group of 70 day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts