Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:stackgreenboxes:

I was adding to my stock the other day, and my wife asked when will we have enough. I honestly answered I will never feel I have enough food and water. My goal is to have a 6 month+ supply of water, food, medial, candles, and hygiene needs etc. I also want 2000+ rounds for each firearm. What is enough for you? What amount of food, water, ammo etc do you feel like you need? Do you have a deadline to reach that goal? Also what is your span of time that you would like to be self sufficient?

Gman303

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I know the feeling because I actually never feel that I have enough. I find myself forgetting how much I have until I go through it and have to move it around. I really feel like one year is good for me because I believe it will give me flexibility to share food if need be.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I too find myself asking, how much is enough? How much is just freaky paranoid? And how do I know if I am over the line? When do I say, "Ok, now you just have an addiction". I want to have a good supply, but I don't want to be that guy who can't stop. I want to be prepared, but I don't want to be overly crazy.

Live for today, prepare for tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Does one ever really have enough?

Personally I dont see it as an end game I see it more as a life style that I live daily. When I started it was one weeks of supplies. Then it was a month, then it was 3 months etc...you get the idea. If things get really bad I am bugging out and this two has an effect on how I prep. In that case I mean think about it...My first seasons crop might not go so well or might even more or less be a bust. So ultimately I need a couple years of supplies minimum. Thats a much different scenario than trying to ride out the aftermath of a hurricane for a few months until things return to semi normal again. One has to consider too the fragile economy and job market these days. Many folks have went a year without a job that pays much more than minimum wage. One could easily blow through a years worth of food. I was unemployed for about 6 months and I gotta tell you having my food stash to rely up on and fall back to made the going so much easier and less stressful. So I dont think there is really one good answer to that question, it all depends on what your preparing for.

For me, everytime I go to the store and catch a sale on something I can rabbit away I buy a bit of it. Every payday I buy a few boxes of ammo or some more reloading supplies irregardless of how much I already have. I am a bit different when it comes to ammo than most. I dont really think there is a good safe number until you get to the point of rediculas. But I also look at it too that for my 7mm Rem Mag, do I really need 1000 plus rounds? Would maybe something like 500 work well enough since I also reload and can reload those 500 cases 3-4 times? Would the money I save there be better spent on 223 or 7.62x39 or 308? I would much more value having 2000 plus rounds of that more so than 7mm Rem Mag!

Yeah I inventory my stash too. Its the only way to keep track accurately of what I have and when the shelf life on it is coming due, so it can be consumed and not wasted and I will know what it is that needs to be replaced or what I am lacking the most on.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Enough , enough you say define enough.
Are you comfortable with what you have, do the resources devoted to it need to go to other areas?
I will never say what I have, it is plenty but never enough. This year I will focus on more ready food storage and a bigger wood stove. More food means We can make up for others possible short comings
But if during the year a real good deal comes up I will add a bit more ammo just not huge amounts at any one time. I can always find a buyer for some if it looks over stocked.
I can't eat bullets but food can't defend us always a trade off.
In accounting it is called Opportunity cost...every thing you spend in one area always cost you the opportunity to do something else.
Another gauge I use is when my wife and daughter both start to ask f maybe we have enough--------. That is a good sign I am about there.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I know I don't have enough in some areas but fixing that now. In others, I'm set. How long would it all last would be the question...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd like to have a 1-2 year supply of food and water (eventually), but my tiny/temporary house disagrees! I have maybe a 2 month supply of those right now, better than nothing I guess lol I'm always stocking up on ammo, when I can find it. Enough will be when I feel like I have an adequate supply, and when I feel safe and secure with what I have.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Instead of enough think self sustaining,

Food: enough till the crops come in, reserve in case something delays that.
Water: enough till the rain produces more with plenty of reserve, filtration and treatment.
Power: a way to get all I need any time and for ever,

Ammo: well that's a bit different, I probably stock 20k rnds of 22lr, 1,000 various shotgun rounds, 5k for the AR, 2k for the every day hand guns, and am emergency 2k for the lever and matching revolver. Plus enough reloading material to re use every brass casing at least once.

:stackgreenboxes:

I was adding to my stock the other day, and my wife asked when will we have enough. I honestly answered I will never feel I have enough food and water. My goal is to have a 6 month+ supply of water, food, medial, candles, and hygiene needs etc. I also want 2000+ rounds for each firearm. What is enough for you? What amount of food, water, ammo etc do you feel like you need? Do you have a deadline to reach that goal? Also what is your span of time that you would like to be self sufficient?

Gman303

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'll never have enough. Too many good people out there are missing the boat and not prepping. I've never been selfish so I want some in reserve to give away as needed. Even if I gave it all away I'm pretty sure I could survive "almost" anything as long as I had some tools to make it easier. Not sharing ammo unless I'm under fire.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I was adding to my stock the other day, and my wife asked when will we have enough. I honestly answered I will never feel I have enough food and water..
Right, the more you've stocked, the longer you'll live..:)
But even that'll run out eventually and you'll starve months or years down the line.
The REAL survivors will be those who've got land and know how to grow crops, hunt and fish forever.
The rest of us poor shmuks will have to muddle through as best we can, and hopefully whatever disaster hits us won't last too long.
Meanwhile we can live off our stocks, a neat little 'BASIC FIVE ITEMS' stockpile like below should tide us over for a week or two until the Govt can get food relief convoys coming into the cities and get the power and water working again..

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
...Also what is your span of time that you would like to be self sufficient?..
Years and years and years..:)
But sadly a self-sufficient spread is just a pipe dream for most of us, I'm a city dweller and don't have any land, and even if I did I wouldn't know how do that agriculture and livestock stuff (sniffle)
Out of interest I've been asking experts how many people could a one-acre spread like the one below support permanently, and the general consensus seems to be that it could feed 4 people easily if they knew how to grow things and tend animals and chickens, but some people say livestock is not strictly necessary because you could shoot wild bunnies and things for meat. It's near a river so water is no problem.
The double red lines around the house are a perimeter of coiled barbed wire to stop zombs coming up and peering through your windows..

·
Registered
335 Posts
I now have about 6 months of food stored in the house - combination of canning/jar stuff from the garden and dry foods/meats I have purchased. I figure I would use a mix of my garden and stored food, then jar and can more food in the following growing season to keep going. I think id like to have a year of food stored in the house.

I started growing food about 10 years ago when I lived in a 1300 sq ft townhouse with a tiny deck. Everything was grown in buckets. We had home grown potatoes, cucumbers and tomatoes available all the time. Just did some jar/canning to preserve for winter. Now I have a much larger piece of land. We generally pull in around 100lbs of tomatoes, 150lbs of potatoes and 75lbs of cucumbers per year - we also have about 25-30 other fruits and veggies. It is very easy to grow - the biggest deal is getting on a regular watering schedule. Other than that, you just let the seeds sprout and do their thing. Occasionally pulling some weeds, etc. I also raise rabbits for meat, then use their waste as fertilizer in the gardens. Rabbits are the way to go for small plots of land - cows take up way to many resources and take forever to get to a good size to butcher. Rabbits are ready in a few months.

The link below shows a great video on growing more than enough food on a very small plot of land. Even if you have a small patio in your apartment, you can grow food.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Here's a better pic, I've made the coils of barbed wire look more nasty.
We could of course put it further out around the edges of the acre but it's expensive stuff and anyway a zomb could cut through a blind spot in the dead of night.
So having a smaller easily-defendable wire perimeter around just the house like this would mean we could hear any zomb messing with it, especially if we tied cans to it as an alarm.
We could then stick a gun out the window and tell him "On yer bike mate"

Incidentally the pic is from one of John Seymours self-sufficiency books, (I added the barbed wire graphic) he actually walked the self-suff walk for many years on his farm, so he knows his stuff.
Basically if we want animals we MUST have enough land to support them, but personally I wouldn't want them because they're far too much trouble and crops are much easier.
As Bennettvm said "you just let the seeds sprout and do their thing. Occasionally pulling some weeds, etc"..:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts