Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at some long shelf life food stuff, and got to wondering... If I have, for example, 40 pounds of sugar sealed in a Mylar bag in a 5 gallon bucket, what happens when I open it?

Can these bags be resealed?

If not, what I'm thinking is to get me some smaller containers and bags, say 1 gallon. Once I have to pop the top on a bigger container, I would then be able to distribute the contents to these smaller containers and seal them until needed. These smaller containers would only be opened once... when I am ready to use them.

I really don't like the idea of opening the Mylar bags and risking the introduction of oxygen, bacteria, and other stuff, at least not more than absolutely necessary. Or is this crazy talk?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Pure sugar has an almost indefinite shelf life as long as it is kept dry and free from foreign materials. All you have to do is keep it dry, and put the lid back on. It will last forever.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Good question. As others say, Sugar will last almost indefinitely. Which is good to know. But what about other food stuff's?

I know for me, with things like meat, just for everyday consumption, we buy "Family Packs". It comes in large quantities (which I have a large family so most of the time it's okay) and depending on what it is, I like to separate it into smaller, use-able packages. Especially if my wife buys one of those huge chubs of ground beef (5 lbs.). :???: That way I'm not forced into an "all or nothing" situation where something could be wasted. There's not much out there that I can see using 5 pounds of thawed hamburger all at once.

Though stuff may be sealed in Mylar, once it's open, it's open. And all of it faces contamination or spoilage. The old adage of not putting all of your eggs in one basket comes to mind.

I guess once it's open, be prepared to properly store large quantities of whatever it is, in smaller, more manageable packages. I'm sort of on the fence on whether or not I would open a big mylar, sealed bag of "whatever" to store it in more use-able quantities/containers, but I think I lean more toward doing it than not. Of course, it depends on the size/quantity.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I do actually package a few items into 1 gallon Mylar bags the seal a bunch of them in the bucket. My though is along the lines of what you are thinking. I won't open all of it at once and don't need a huge quantity right away.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sugar and salt do not need any special treatments. Just store in food safe 5 gallon buckets to keep vermin away.

We use the 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon mylar bags with the ziplock closure.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was using sugar as an example. The problem (as I see it) exists with all long term storage foods that are stored in bulk.

Even a #10 can of food is a fair amount of food, and the same basic problem exists there: how to I keep the rest edible until I eat it?

I didn't know they made ziplock Mylar bags! Thanks for the heads up PrepperDogs.

Breaking the bulk container down into smaller packages, then packing these into the buckets is also a good way to go PirateSailor, thanks for the tip.

BigDocBug, I'm kinda on the fence with you here. I don't think I would open the big bag until I needed what's inside. At that point, resealing most of it into more manageable sized containers is probably the way to go, at least for me. This would mean stockpiling enough smaller containers and bags to meet my projected long term needs. I would guess the ziplock Mylar bags would be reusable if not damaged.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I went with the gallon bags...same method, yet when I open a bag I'm not opening a pail sized bag, just a gallon bag. The other bags stay sealed and stored until needed. I don't worry too much about sugar. A clean pail with tightly sealing lid is all I use for sugar. It doesn't go bad so all I'm trying to do is keep the insects, vermin contamination (dust) and moisture out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts