Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking through some of my digital photos and it occurred to me what a great loss it would be if those became unavailable for whatever reason. I stopped printing pics a couple of kids ago. They're all backed up online, but I'm thinking it's time to make some hard copies of them.

With all of the things we plan for having and storing, our digital treasures can be easy to overlook.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In the show Revolution, that happens to one of the characters. The only pictures of her missing child is on her iPhone. Which of course, no longer works.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Print em. :) Don't waste time putting them in albums. Print em and stick them in shoe boxes (do we still make those? I think we do).

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
Print em. :) Don't waste time putting them in albums. Print em and stick them in shoe boxes (do we still make those? I think we do).
Welcome, old-timer! :mrgreen:

Actually, I thought everyone used shoe-boxes. I was looking through a box, just the other day. Saw an old black and white of me as a kid with a flat top. Wish I had the hair for it, I'd sport that look, again.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Photos you print yourself have a limited life span. If you don't use archival quality inks and paper and don't store them carefully, they will start to fade in anywhere from a few months to a few years.

CD/DVD experiential life expectancy is 2 to 5 years even though published life expectancies are often cited as 10 years, 25 years, or longer. (Source: www.itl.nist.gov)

I keep my digital data on 1 TB My Passport external drives, which I protect from EMPs by wrapping them in foil. (before someone jumps on me about this.... this is the way the military protects some of its equipment.)

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
559 Posts
Micro SD cards (with a USB reader) are my favorite for long term storage. Most are water proof and are almost TOO SMALL - making them easy to shield from just about anything.

You can buy a 8 or 16 gig one online for 5-10$ and that SHOULD be able to store all of your photos, and a lot of videos too. They usually come with a hand plastic case for protection and then you can drop it in a safe/static shield bag, what have you.

FWIW, I have 3 different ones that have photos and copies of important documents (SS cards, license, bank details, passports, Titles, insurance, etc etc) - encrypted of course - stored in different spots. One in BOB, one in the home fire safe and a third at the BOL.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We only print what we really want anymore,we have seen our own printed pics (from our printer)degrade even in albums.if we want some printed I pop them on an sd card and off to wallygreens we go.those seem to last pretty much forever.we keep a master back up on a 1tb external drive as we dont want the whole world looking at the stuff on a cloud.when we are away,the drive goes into the gun safe.thought about some 16 gb sd cards for storage and use them on our camera and camcorder(no I-phones) as they take up less room but the tb drive seems to work best as we have scanned alot of old pics,and converted some family super-8 and vcr tape with current digital pics and video and this takes up alot of room,even with a 750gb main drive.as far as emp goes, we hope the gun safe would protect it if we could put it in the safe in time.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I compared quality on the same photos between Costco and Walmart and Walmart was much nicer, surprisingly. I have been disappointed in any home printing methods I've tried, so we just send 'em off. For online, we back up with SugarSync, because it's free and automatically backs up new files and updates to existing files within folders you specify. That was a lifesaver when my comp died mid-project. Two hours later, I was up and running on a new comp and back to work. Whew!

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I back everything up locally in case the internet (which is probably just a fad) gets fazed out and we all just txt each other info.

@TEOTD, 1ce net goes, 2MI is bad 4COL, AMOF, all 411 is bad. B4N

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I back everything up locally in case the internet (which is probably just a fad) gets fazed out and we all just txt each other info.

OK, I'll admit it, I don't know what that means, but then my TracPhone isn't 4G or what ever the latest rage is. Swear to God, that's what I use, but it does have a camera..... :D

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts

At the end of the day, once the net goes, too much information is bad for crying out loud, as a matter of fact, all information is bad. Bye for now.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Personally I am kinda torn with this, about the only thing we print is what we hang on the wall. I have a hard drive that has everything backedup on it and and duplicate backed up on DVD's and CD.

And who ever came up with this CD's only last 5 years is a bunch of crap. I have CD's I burned 10 years ago that are just as good as the day I created them. I have Music CD's from the Mid 90's that still work just fine. The music CD's are almost 20 years old and still use them.......

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's something about thumbing through a photo album that is lost with going completely digital.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you have a modern DVD drive on your computer you can set the "depth" of the recording for archival purposes. As long as they are kept out of direct sunlight, temperatures over 120F and in Tyvek envelopes they will last "forever". "Forever" being a hundred years or more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts