Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been one LONG week!! A while back we were contacted by a television network that read our blog and asked if we would be interested in doing a show about us dropping everything in Florida and Moving to Montana. My fiance and I talked it over and decided it would be cool. It is not like some Doomsday Prepper garbage. So we figured why not.. Anyway, they wanted us to go to Florida for a few days and film the stuff we used to do there. Me at my old job,riding airboats and jet skis, eating at a seafood restaurant on the water, her talking to her old cop buddies and that kind of stuff. Then they will come here to Montana and film us doing stuff here next month. We flew into Florida on Wed eve and filmed Thur and Fri and then was supposed to come back to Montana Sat mornin. We left Tampa airport early on Sat and then had a layover in Denver to catch a flight to Billings. So, it was a 5 hour layover. We hung out and had a few drinks. As I am looking at the board about 10 minutes before the plane is supposed to board. I look up and it said CANCELED!! Now we walk up to customer service and the line has several HUNDRED people in it.

I go ahead and get on the phone and called United while we were in line. After an hour on hold I get someone. They said the earliest flight was CHRISTMAS EVE.. Mind you, this was Saturday afternoon. They told me to stay inline and the people could help me with my luggage because it was lost too.. So we stay inline for another 3-4 hours and when we get up there they said that it was in Denver somewhere but they couldn't find it. We were going to rent a car but when we boarded in Tampa, they said there was no room for our carry ons and they would check them for us. Our ID's were in my bag so rental wasn't goin to happen either.. We slept on the floor int he airport Saturday night and then hung around all day Sunday. Sunday afternoon late I fanally got our bags. Now there were no more rental cars available.

We contacted the producer that had us going down there in the first place and told her what happened. She set us up with a room and even had someone come by and gave us a bottle of wine and several hundred dollars for food once we were at the hotel. So we hung around the hotel by the airport till yesterday. We went to the airport EARLY just to make sure. We received our boarding passes and made sure everything was confirmed. About 2 hrs before the flight was to arrive I had to go to the desk to get our seats. I walked up and told him I needed my seats assigned and asked to make sure we were on the flight. He looks down at the pass and said you sure are, it's confirmed. Then goes to typing on his computer and says HMMM. Now my eyes get big and drop my bag and said "what's up?" He told me we were confirmed but there were no more seats. I look at him and told him we were there since Sat and wasn't staying a minute longer.. He called the manager over and she moved some stuff around and somehow got us on. The Billings flights were overbook the whole time we were there. There were like 10 people on standby for every one.. That first day I even asked if there was a different connecting flight. i told him to fly us to New York then Billings if they had to but there just weren't enough flights to Billings to make it happen.

So, we finally got home last night. We still had a 4 hr drive almost once we left Billings... It sure is nice to be home!!!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Anyone looking to put our kind on any show is doing it to make a joke of it.
The media does not care one bit of our views they only wish to make us look like fools for those they support.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Anyone looking to put our kind on any show is doing it to make a joke of it.
The media does not care one bit of our views they only wish to make us look like fools for those they support.
It's not a story about prepping at all.. It is about leaving the rat race of the city and moving to the country.. Prepping never even came up. Sort of like that Alaska, The Final Frontier show.. They actually asked us if we were interested in doing a show like that. About being self sufficient and living off of the land..

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
United is the worst! Over the past 14 years traveling all the time, I have flown over 3 million miles. I can say without reservation that United is the worst airline in the entire history of air travel.

Last week I had to take a United flight from Minneapolis to Ottawa, ON. The flight connected through O'Hare, but it was not a tight connection by any stretch. When I got to Ottawa, sure enough, they had lost my checked bag. This is the second time in a month this has happened. Last time however, they lost it on my flight home so I really wasn't too excited. This time however, I ended up coming in to Ottawa right after a snow storm and the temperature dropped to -30 (Fahrenheit). Of course, my toque and gloves and sweaters were all packed away in my checked bag. So I was stuck for nearly 24 hours with no clean clothes and more importantly, just an uninsulated leather jacket in -30 degree weather!

Note: I do not own an insulated jacket as I usually just wear a leather jacket to break the wind and then have sweaters of various thicknesses depending on how cold it is.

The same week, I got the following e-mail from a business associate of mine:

Hey everyone. Just wanted to send out a positive story for a change:

Our Delta flight took off from Philly at 7AM and 4.5 hours later as we were approached Salt Lake City, we were diverted to Grand Junction because SLC was closed.

As we landed, someone on the flight crew called Papa Johns and ordered 40 pizzas. Since there were 8 large planes in Grand Junction, we were stuck in the plane on the tarmac. Three people on our plane were actually going to Grand Junction and the crew worked to arrange it so they could get off while we were there. (I was once in exactly the same situation in Idaho Falls and they would not let me get off of the plane. I had to fly back to Salt Lake City and stay the night because I had missed my flight BACK to Idaho Falls.)

While we waited for refueling, the crew served beverages and generally helped make the time pass. The pilot kept us informed of the status in SLC, on the ground there in Grand Junction, and of our pizzas (pizzas have left the store/pizzas are going through security/etc.). They arrived in plenty of time for us all to enjoy a couple of slices each. The crew were organized and efficient in getting the pizza served out and things cleaned up in time for us to head out when we needed to. They were innovative, resourceful, and took the opportunity to turn a memorable experience from an unpleasant one to a positive event that I will be talking about for a long time.

I have flown over 1.5 million miles on Western, Delta, and all the others and this flight will always standout in a most positive way.
When traveling by commercial airlines, periodic problems are to be expected. But how the airline handles them makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
So you are looking to be the replacement for Duck Dynasty?

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
PrepConsultant,
I've enjoyed your website and think the show will be one hell of a great experience. Can't wait to see the media fireworks when you are famous and some pencil necked liberal writer from GQ interviews you! Glad you made it home finally.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,
Glad you like the site. My fiance spends a lot of time putting pics on it. As for the show, we thought it would be cool to show people that you can do whatever you want as long as you are willing to leave your comfort zone and try something new! People tell me al the time that they just can't leave their job because of the money. I call bullshit. I was making in the 6 figures but the money wasn't making me happy. Plus, once you get rid of the big house/payment and start to live move about need and less want(although we still like our toys) You can get by with a whole lot less. On top of that, we supply our own beef,lamb,chicken,eggs,most of the veggies we grow and will be doing our own pork,milk,honey,butter and cheese soon as well. That helps out quite a bit..

·
Registered
22 Posts
First let me say that I am not a professional actor on any level. Have fun with the show, but watch out. Reality TV production companies work on shows 24-7-365, from one project to the next and they are ruthless. I have personally done two shows and shot promos for two others. Less than 10% ever go on the air. The first was Big Rig Bounty Hunters for Discovery (my son and I were the "desert dogs") and I just finished up one for the Food Network (Restaurant Express, I drove the transport truck). My best advise is to remember that you are always on a mic and camera even if you are not "rolling" and they can use/ edit anything that you say or do. Not to sound like a "lib" but get everything you can out of the production company while you are shooting, because at any point in time, if they decide not to run the show....they will toss you aside like garbage.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Thanks,
Glad you like the site. My fiance spends a lot of time putting pics on it. As for the show, we thought it would be cool to show people that you can do whatever you want as long as you are willing to leave your comfort zone and try something new! People tell me al the time that they just can't leave their job because of the money. I call bullshit. I was making in the 6 figures but the money wasn't making me happy. Plus, once you get rid of the big house/payment and start to live move about need and less want(although we still like our toys) You can get by with a whole lot less. On top of that, we supply our own beef,lamb,chicken,eggs,most of the veggies we grow and will be doing our own pork,milk,honey,butter and cheese soon as well. That helps out quite a bit..
Haha, I checked out your website shortly after you started it and it wasn't being updated much so I kind ignored it.

I checked it tonight and I like what you are doing.

Most of it is a yawn for people that live in Montana (ooo its cold) but I am sure you are having fun and experiencing the real life which is cool. My other thought was who is the hot chick standing next to the fat guy, but that is my own experience as well (hehe)

IMO the best Montanan's were never born here.

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Registered
560 Posts
Haha, I checked out your website shortly after you started it and it wasn't being updated much so I kind ignored it.

Most of it is a yawn for people that live in Montana (ooo its cold) but I am sure you are having fun and experiencing the real life which is cool. My other thought was who is the hot chick standing next to the fat guy, but that is my own experience as well (hehe)

Spent some time on Montana myself, that 2 weeks of summer was great but it's the rest of the year I hated…lol I was born in the south for a reason….

·
Registered
921 Posts
:cool:
I was looking for the "popcorn smiley".

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

She has been keeping it updated.. She is my hot chick..lol I'm not fat though. I am 215 but have a 33 in waist..lol..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.