Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

7K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  NotTooProudToHide 
#1 ·
I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.

#5 · (Edited)
You can use that which is expensive or 158 GR. JHP.

We have black bears around here, I carry a 4' S&W 629 loaded with Black Talon if needed.

Today that would be Winchester SXT ammo.

Best to just avoid them.

A heavy solid jacketed can be used also, you don't want just lead, not enough velocity unless you load.

Then use bullets made from lineotype, 158 grain Keith semi wadcutter.

They won't lead up the bore too quick.

#8 ·
I'm a 357 magnum aficionado, have snubby, a DA 4", a SA 4 & 3/4" and a SA 6 & 1/2".
Next to the 45 Colt, my most favorite round.
The snub is one of my daily carries, my favorite actually.

But if I could have a chance encounter with a black bear, I'd rather have a can of bear spray.
Or a 12 ga pump loaded with 1 ounce slugs.

#9 ·
But if I could have a chance encounter with a black bear, I'd rather have a can of bear spray.
I'm glad you said that...

I've reloaded just about every .357 Magnum combination they ever made. Then I gave up and bought an SW 624.

Frankly after seeing the damage the .357 magnum didn't do, I sold my Python and a 2.5 inch SW 66. Yeah, yeah, I know the history of the round, it was big stuff in 1935. But Elmer Keith was experimenting with .44 SPL cases even during WWII. To that, I bought a SW 624 to try and revisit how the magnum round was first invented. Turns out I liked the .44 SPL better!

#16 ·
Don't sell the 357 short. To kill a bear you need penetration big heavy round that does not get deep enough will likely do little . If you are using a hand gun on a bear it will likely be very close range. What ever you are shooting, keep shooting . Not going to be a one and done.

#24 ·
I have a pre 2005 Ruger 45 Colt. It can be load to crazy levels .Listed in the load books as Ruger only loads. It is a beast . I have seen what a 357 will punch deep into with good rounds even at longer range and still would not feel out gunned by others.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy
#26 · (Edited)
I don't see it doing more fps with a 225gr than a 44mag with a 240gr. In fact the 44mag is better.

Ruger only loads? Is that like shooting it out a TC contender? We can go there with a 44mag too.....

Regardless, a 357 won't match up, but it's a good round.

Sorry don't want to get into a pissing match. Peace be with you.

#37 ·
Leading can be reduced by using harder lead, "hard cast".
Also, anything above 1600 fps in a rifle should use a gas check bullet.

Mike Venturino, well known gun writer, has done articles on shooting lead bullets out of his Springfield Model 1903, and other old rifles. He says gas checks are mandatory in those applications.

#35 ·
About this time last year I picked up my first revolver which was an EAA Windicator .357 in a 4 inch barrel. I really don't live in black bear country but we have had sightings in our area alibit few and far between so I figured why not look for some bear defense ammo. I ended up getting a couple boxes of Buffalo Bore Heavy Outdoorsman 200 gr hard cast after I did a bit of internet research. Haven't had a chance to put a few down range yet but on paper they seem like they'll do the trick. If I was in an area where bears are a legitimate concern most likely I would pickup a Glock 20 and be done with it.

#36 ·
I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
This is my choice. Haven't tried it out on an actual critter yet though.

Nice. I like the grips, mine are wood and a little hard to hold when I shoot it.

Attachments

#39 ·
I have a .357 Tracker with 6.5 ported barrel and did quite a bit of ballistics studies. Hollow points are NOT recommended for bear as they can expand due to the heavy fur and skin before penetrating deep enough to create a sufficient wound channel. I loaded 100 magnum with 15.5 grains of 2400 and the Speer SFP which is designed for penetration then expansion. Then, I bought a .44 Ruger Magnum and loaded them with 240 grain Speer SFP and 24 grains to H110. Both are good rounds for bear.

#40 · (Edited)
Gosh, I'm sure I read it Cooper's corner but close friends of the Colonel always suggested using solids for game that would kill you. Break bones, forget about the flesh. They were talking the big continent but big bears here I'm sure qualify. And shoot again once they are down! Can't be too sure. The friend had a Scandinavian name, That's going to drive me crazy till I remember his name. I'm sure someone here knows who I'm referring to... I sure can't remember his name but he took a lot of dangerous game in Africa. Sorry to go off track.

#41 ·
Yes. For large dangerous African game solid bullets are used.
The hides are so tough and thick an expanding bullet would be completely spent before any thing vital was even hit.

Reactions: Smitty901
#42 ·
The more I read this thread, the more I enjoy hearing and learning from everyone all of the options out there.

But one thing has been "bothering" me about this thread...and it just dawned on me! Black Bear attacks on humans are pretty dang rare, I don't think there are more than 1 per year in the US but I'll look it up! Good thread though!

#43 ·
I think any black bear attacks would most likely be the fault of the human.
There are bear in our area, but in 20 years I have only seen one.

#46 ·
Well she did not attack but she darn sure indicated she would. I wish I was no so busy backing up had had gotten a picture when she stood up up close and personal. And yes I did consider my CC as a last resort.

Attachments

#47 ·
And you did the right thing. I haven 't seen this type of behavior regarding bears but I have seen multiple times fools approaching Bison to take pictures. Pretty dang stupid.

Back up people from wild animals. They are most likely more afraid of you than you of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.