Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Problem with heavy bullets is they don't penetrate Deep enough in many cases
That's the crooked path we walk. If you put heavy bullets and a full load of gunpowder into a SW 629 you'll spring the frame sooner or later. I always wondered if SW made the cylinder as short as they did for the 29 models just to keep idiots from blowing themselves up.

I once loaded a 2.5 inch 629 with full-house loads, and I only did it once...

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
That's the crooked path we walk. If you put heavy bullets and a full load of gunpowder into a SW 629 you'll spring the frame sooner or later. I always wondered if SW made the cylinder as short as they did for the 29 models just to keep idiots from blowing themselves up.

I use a M29 to hunt woodchucks, flipping them at 75yds is fun with a 240gr Rem loads. That is great practice.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts

It is hard to duplicate a full on 44mag 240gr rem load , handloading. My M29 8 3/4" takes those fine. You hand load at all?

Mine is pre-Dirty Harry

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I have a pre 2005 Ruger 45 Colt. It can be load to crazy levels .Listed in the load books as Ruger only loads. It is a beast . I have seen what a 357 will punch deep into with good rounds even at longer range and still would not feel out gunned by others.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I have a pre 2005 Ruger 45 Colt. It can be load to crazy levels .Listed in the load books as Ruger only loads. It is a beast . I have seen what a 357 will punch deep into with good rounds even at longer range and still would not feel out gunned by others.
I don't see it doing more fps with a 225gr than a 44mag with a 240gr. In fact the 44mag is better.

Ruger only loads? Is that like shooting it out a TC contender? We can go there with a 44mag too.....

Regardless, a 357 won't match up, but it's a good round.

Sorry don't want to get into a pissing match. Peace be with you.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I don't see it doing more fps with a 225gr than a 44mag with a 240gr. In fact the 44mag is better.

Ruger only loads? Is that like shooting it of a TC contender?
No the earlier ones Ruger made were many times stronger that the post 2005 that followed the black hawk design.

Reactions: Mad Trapper

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
No the earlier ones Ruger made were many times stronger that the post 2005 that followed the black hawk design.
Well I guess I learned something. What was a safe load 240gr? Fps?

I don't have my hornady , sierra, and nosler manuals handy.

Maybe like loading a 06 or 308 for a service rifle (correct powder/bullets)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Well I guess I learned something. What was a safe load 240gr? Fps?

I don't have my hornady , sierra, and nosler manuals handy.

Maybe like loading a 06 or 308 for a service rifle (correct powder/bullets)
Heck I do not remember have no looked in a long time I have had that Vaquero a long time

·
Administrator
15,107 Posts
Those were nice pistols, I didn't know they downgraded them.

My M29 was factory indexed. It shoots sweet.
Ruger history - the original Blackhawk was built on a Colt SAA size frame and came in 357 magnum and 44 magnum. Today these are known as Flat Tops and are collectors items.
In 1963, the frame size was made larger to accommodate stouter loads, these are known as Old Model Blackhawks.
In the early 70's the transfer bar system was introduced, the frame size remained the same. These are New Model Blackhawks.

The New Model in 45 Colt can handle loads even hotter than 44 magnum, loads that would blow a lesser gun into orbit.
These loads are listed in the manuals as "Ruger only" because those are the only guns that can handle them.

The original Vaquero was built on the full size Blackhawk frame and can handle these very stout loads.
The Cowboy Action shooters liked Ruger Vaqueros but did not like the big clumsy size and lobbied for a return to the old Colt size.
Ruger accommodated them and produced a smaller size, the Cowboy people shot low power loads anyway.

I have a 1959 Flat Top 357 magnum ( man is she sweet ), a New Model Blackhawk 45 Convertible ( has Colt cylinder and ACP cylinder ), and a New Model Super Blackhawk 44 magnum.
My life would be complete if I could find, and afford, a Flat Top 44 mag.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
This is my choice. Haven't tried it out on an actual critter yet though.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Significant what 2" of barrel will do to fps. I bet those would almost be a leading problem in a rifle. If I remember that happens ~1800 fps

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
About this time last year I picked up my first revolver which was an EAA Windicator .357 in a 4 inch barrel. I really don't live in black bear country but we have had sightings in our area alibit few and far between so I figured why not look for some bear defense ammo. I ended up getting a couple boxes of Buffalo Bore Heavy Outdoorsman 200 gr hard cast after I did a bit of internet research. Haven't had a chance to put a few down range yet but on paper they seem like they'll do the trick. If I was in an area where bears are a legitimate concern most likely I would pickup a Glock 20 and be done with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
This is my choice. Haven't tried it out on an actual critter yet though.

Nice. I like the grips, mine are wood and a little hard to hold when I shoot it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,107 Posts
Significant what 2" of barrel will do to fps. I bet those would almost be a leading problem in a rifle. If I remember that happens ~1800 fps
Leading can be reduced by using harder lead, "hard cast".
Also, anything above 1600 fps in a rifle should use a gas check bullet.

Mike Venturino, well known gun writer, has done articles on shooting lead bullets out of his Springfield Model 1903, and other old rifles. He says gas checks are mandatory in those applications.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Leading can be reduced by using harder lead, "hard cast".
Also, anything above 1600 fps in a rifle should use a gas check bullet.

Mike Venturino, well known gun writer, has done articles on shooting lead bullets out of his Springfield Model 1903, and other old rifles. He says gas checks are mandatory in those applications.
I do a lot of traditional ML BP rifles. Hard to get a slug up to 1800fps, lubed felt wads do cut down on leading, PRBs the patch takes care of that but a wad will help on burning through the patch. Can also use a paper patch with bullets, a good 45 cal will shoot 1000 yds with those from a Gibbs or Whitworth. Check out NMLRA and the Friendship matches.

It's too bad cheap lead is not around for casting now. Used to be able to use wheel weights, they had some tin and were harder. For PRB you want pure lead to engage the rifling. Roofing flashing or plumbing pipes were a source for that..

5 shots from a 0.50 Hawken with opens 50 yds, at 100 yds it's about zero, and goes through a deer. That is with old eyes

50cal50yds5shts.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a .357 Tracker with 6.5 ported barrel and did quite a bit of ballistics studies. Hollow points are NOT recommended for bear as they can expand due to the heavy fur and skin before penetrating deep enough to create a sufficient wound channel. I loaded 100 magnum with 15.5 grains of 2400 and the Speer SFP which is designed for penetration then expansion. Then, I bought a .44 Ruger Magnum and loaded them with 240 grain Speer SFP and 24 grains to H110. Both are good rounds for bear.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Gosh, I'm sure I read it Cooper's corner but close friends of the Colonel always suggested using solids for game that would kill you. Break bones, forget about the flesh. They were talking the big continent but big bears here I'm sure qualify. And shoot again once they are down! Can't be too sure. The friend had a Scandinavian name, That's going to drive me crazy till I remember his name. I'm sure someone here knows who I'm referring to... I sure can't remember his name but he took a lot of dangerous game in Africa. Sorry to go off track.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts