Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
Well, depends on if you're alone or with a friend. I agree with buffalo bore unless you're with a friend, then go with something a lot lighter......you just want to wound your friend enough to slow him down, not kill him.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
You can use that which is expensive or 158 GR. JHP.

We have black bears around here, I carry a 4' S&W 629 loaded with Black Talon if needed.

Today that would be Winchester SXT ammo.

Best to just avoid them.

A heavy solid jacketed can be used also, you don't want just lead, not enough velocity unless you load.

Then use bullets made from lineotype, 158 grain Keith semi wadcutter.

They won't lead up the bore too quick.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Well, depends on if you're alone or with a friend. I agree with buffalo bore unless you're with a friend, then go with something a lot lighter......you just want to wound your friend enough to slow him down, not kill him.
OMG, you must be the life of every party.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
OMG, you must be the life of every party.
Shit, shoulda seen me when I was still drankin.....Never knew what I was gonna say next....couldn't remember what I'd said before......is was like meeting me and 5 unrelated people engaged in a competitive bout of dark humor and animal excrement....or was that black animals an humorous excitement........well shit...someday its a Zoo....somedays its an Arc....just ask Noah.....He knows a thing or two.

·
Administrator
15,107 Posts
I'm a 357 magnum aficionado, have snubby, a DA 4", a SA 4 & 3/4" and a SA 6 & 1/2".
Next to the 45 Colt, my most favorite round.
The snub is one of my daily carries, my favorite actually.

But if I could have a chance encounter with a black bear, I'd rather have a can of bear spray.
Or a 12 ga pump loaded with 1 ounce slugs.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
But if I could have a chance encounter with a black bear, I'd rather have a can of bear spray.
I'm glad you said that...

I've reloaded just about every .357 Magnum combination they ever made. Then I gave up and bought an SW 624.

Frankly after seeing the damage the .357 magnum didn't do, I sold my Python and a 2.5 inch SW 66. Yeah, yeah, I know the history of the round, it was big stuff in 1935. But Elmer Keith was experimenting with .44 SPL cases even during WWII. To that, I bought a SW 624 to try and revisit how the magnum round was first invented. Turns out I liked the .44 SPL better!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I almost bought a 10 mm but wanted a stainless revolver to take on my boat. Figured the .357 could serve both purposes. Will get the bear spray also. Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,107 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Don't sell the 357 short. To kill a bear you need penetration big heavy round that does not get deep enough will likely do little . If you are using a hand gun on a bear it will likely be very close range. What ever you are shooting, keep shooting . Not going to be a one and done.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Don't sell the 357 short. To kill a bear you need penetration big heavy round that does not get deep enough will likely do little . If you are using a hand gun on a bear it will likely be very close range. What ever you are shooting, keep shooting . Not going to be a one and done.
Cast bullet bigger the better. Check, Fur Fish Game, Ed Hall. I'd use a 44 300 grain, if not a rifle.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Cast bullet bigger the better. Check, Fur Fish Game, Ed Hall. I'd use a 44 300 grain, if not a rifle.
Problem with heavy bullets is they don't penetrate Deep enough in many cases

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Problem with heavy bullets is they don't penetrate Deep enough in many cases
They go right through. Not like a HP

I do traditional ML BP, my 58 525gr went through a deer, and a 5" oak fell over behind it. Deer ran away, tree fell over. Thought I missed. Deer went~25yds. That was over 90gr FFG Goex

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
They go right through. Not like a HP

I do traditional ML BP, my 58 525gr went through a deer, and a 5" oak fell over behind it. Deer ran away, tree fell over. Thought I missed. Deer went~25yds. That was over 90gr FFG Goex
I shot another deer, 30-06 nosler partition 180gr 54gr imr4350, head on, in the chest. That deer ran away too. Bullet was just under the skin in a hind quarter, I thought it might be a tick when skinning it, it went through the whole deer. It didn't hit a vital, or waste any meat. Ran ~100yds

1 - 20 of 49 Posts