Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, finally set up a safe backstop (3/4" plywood), so that I could comfortably sling some bolts in my back yard. Sunday, I was checking the range by using the adjustable base, and by use ofthe lower recticles on scope.
Decided I much prefered to use the drop points inside the scope. After my 15th or so shot, at varying ranges from 20 to 40 yards, I was satisfied and decided I should deffinately try one broadhead, just to check and be sure I was ready for sept. 1st. 18 inches high, in the plywood..I was shooting freehand, so I deduced that I flinched, and decided one more should get me back to the targetbox. Um, nope, low and left. I did purchase some pretty cheap broadheads, muzzy's, at about 7 or 8 $ on amazon. So, I have 2 broadheads that will probably have to be there forever..I am currently equiped with the 16" bolts that came with crossbow, and 12 22" that I ordered from Amazon also. The reviews for both broadheads and bolts were good. I will see if we have a digital scale at work, to check the weights, but will probably have to have the fiance shoot the bow, so I can see whats going on with these broadheads.
Any suggestions? I have never taken any animal with a bow or crossbow, so my knowledge is next to none.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You do realize that there is often a huge difference in shooting a broadhead at a target and shooting equal weight field points right? Not trying to insult your intelligence, but...broadheads will often fly at remarkably different impact point vs a field point. This is why you need to "tune" your bow with the broadheads you will be using on a hunting trip. You might also find that you have to try a number of different types before you find one that will fly consistently true as well. Mechanical Broadheads are often less finiky than fixed broadheads as well. However, the blades dont always expand out as advertised especially on quartering shots and the blades will sometimes break as well on impact with bone more so than a fixed blade broadhead will. This is why I prefer the chisel point fixed blade broadheads unless Turkey hunting. Just floating that out there incase you didnt know.

BTW...I use Muzzy's from a 70 lbs compound bow a vast majority of the time and hit exactly where I am shooting on a pretty regular basis.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I found some usable broadheads on amazon for like 7 bucks a pack

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will shoot the Muzzy's I have from a rest, and tune the bow. Just start over, but use braodheads. Now that I think about it, I was hot and tired, so the problem "may not be the equipement"...Na, gotta be.
Oh, I guess I really gotta restart anyway, my puppy chewed my bowstring, by climbing over the couch and counter. I know she did it, becouse I found the loop end in my chair..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot Muzzy's in my bow and have never had a problem with performance...cross bow may be different though. They fly true in my tuned bow and do a bang up job in anything they hit.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The blades on fixed broad heads will often act as a "wing" to a degree and often cuase arrow accuracy issues as a result when compared to field points. This is why its important for those hunting with broad heads to test and tune their bows to shoot them properly and accurately. Sometimes simply dropping from a broad head with a 1 1/2 inch cutting radius down to one that has a 1 1/8th inch cutting radius may be all thats required. Maybe using arrows with longer or shorter fletching might be the hot ticket to get things shooting where you want them to hit. There are a lot of variables that you can play around with. This is why "tuning" your bow is a critical aspect when hunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to start by tuning your broad heads with your feathers/vanes. If using 3 blade they should line up with your fletching with 4 blade they should be @ 12/3/6/9 when nocked 2 blade @ 3 and 9. I would not recommend 2 blades in high performance bows. Also the wider the cut the more prone they are to plane.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome info, and I still havent replaced the string, been damn hot, and I need a second pair of hands to make restringing easy. But, I can check the broadheads alignment, they are three point. Thanks everyone..

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
To change the subject alittle, put some Styrofoam infront of that plywood. The plywood is like hitting bone & the Styrofoam like hide, muscle, & fat. You could warp a bolt shooting directly into the plywood.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I quartined the two bolts that I removed the stuck broadheads from. I have some "silver backed styrofoam peices" at work, I should have thought of that one.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I had to switch to a crossbow a few years back and settled on a Parker Tornado. If you are shooting bolts at plywood you can probably toss even the strongest trocar/chisel point Muzzys after a few shots. I am presently using G3 Montec broadheads but I shoot them into a "block" crossbow target that uses layered foam fiber. This target allows me to use field points and broadheads. I just sacrifice one broadhead and use it over and over to get my POI dialed in. I practice with field points. No one has ever shown me a mechanical or fixed blade broadhead that shoots the same point of impact as a field point. I have three new Montecs that go into the woods with me. Those are for deer only. I have a couple of Muzzys that I save in the quiver for turkey as we can hunt both during the archery only deer season in Tennessee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts