Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I went to my second gun show this past weekend. I went with the plan of buying a shotgun for HD if the price was right. Well I didn't find a shotgun but I found a cheap handgun. We started seeing this gun this gun after about an hr. After we came across a dozen or so we started asking questions about it. By the end of a long 3hrs I finally pulled the trigger, pun intended, on a Hi-point C9. Do a search and you will find a ton of info on them.
For $165 out the door I got a 9mm hand gun that I will not worry about losing or getting trashed when on an ATV ride. This was a concern of mine after a friend went to the sand dunes and got sand all inside his high end gun and spent half his evening cleaning it.

I have not put a round through it yet but I will this coming weekend. It has its short comings but once worked through it becomes a great low cost option. I hope.

The shotgun I bought from a Co-worker today for -$200

Its a Winchester 1400 auto 12ga. I figure it'll do in a pinch and I can always trade it later.

All in all I don't think I did half bad, time and rounds fired will tell. I'll give a range report on the hi-point this weekend.

IMG_20121030_194238.jpg

IMG_20121030_194210.jpg

IMG_20121030_194122.jpg

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a hipoint 9 just like that. Great gun. Congrats! Its hard to find a 12 guage under $200 anymore unless its single shot. Good job!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I will warning about the hipoint's keep them clean, personally I wouldn't used it if you gave it to me, I took apart one before OMG the things that can go wrong, and all the parts no thanks. My glock 17 , I wouldn't use anything else...

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
if you like it, i love it.

i need a super clean shot gun for my sweet little bradley in afghanistan... ifn any one is selling... 12ga

looks like you had a super weekend. didja get a knife too? nobody goes to a gun show and leaves with out a knife, lol

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I have the full sized HI-POINT .40 and even though it's bulky, the damn thing could hammer nails all day long and shoot straight as an arrow. People demonize that gun but it's fairly evil considering it has muzzle pressures rivaling carbines. It is definitely a one hand gun that needs a steady, strong hand. BUT on the other hand it's durable as hell and still shoots. I ask you- if you get hit with a .40 hollow point, will you be able to tell me if it was a 200 dollar gun or a 600 dollar one? In fact that gun of mine I keep in the BOB has taken squirrels with relative ease but can also bring down a deer if need be. For the cost you can't beat a good hi point.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I love all of my hi-point c9 40 & the 45 my C 9 has over 2000 rounds down the pipe and I only have 5 to the date the ftf broken in correctly they are amazing

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I love all of my hi-point c9 40 & the 45 my C 9 has over 2000 rounds down the pipe and I only have 5 to the date the ftf broken in correctly they are amazing
And they feel solid, there's a bit of kick when I shoot my heavy grain bullets but it's easy to control. I think of the 40 as a 9mm special, that HI-POINT never let me down one time. I wish they made revolvers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good score.. It does'nt matter what kind of gun as long as it works when you need it too... Takecare of your guns and they will takecare of you..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ima say great finds man. I'm looking to get a hi point c9 next gunshow. I'm on a budget and a lot of youtubes I watch the gun runs great. Just need to polish the feed ramp and tweak the magazine lips most say. And that shotty is very nice looking. Nice score

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
You didn't go gun-nuts. Come on down and go gun shopping with me. My wife cringes when I head out of the house by myself - no telling what the LGS owner will have waiting for me.

Good snag on the slam-dance piece! Gotta love a shotgun when zombies are trying to crawl in the house.

I have a house-full of sidearms, two of them are Hi-Point .45s. Yes, they are clunky and bulky, but the blow-back design makes them extremely reliable. I don't even have spare mags for the Hi-Points. Like any other sidearm, they are only to help me fight my way over to the rifle or shotgun. If I run out of rounds before achieving that goal, I shall simply club the zombie to death with the H-Point. As heavy as it is, no more than two whacks will be necessary.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, been watching all the vids on Youtube about the mag and feed ramp. So I tuned the 1 stock mag it came with Monday and started racking the slide with a loaded mag. did this about 30 times till it fed smoothly, now the feed ramp looks pretty polished. I'm gonna go buy another mag or two at my gunshop and some shotgun shells and go with my bud to his shooting club range on saturday and break em in.

He too has a new gun to break in, I had been talking to him soo much about the pistol carbines and the fact that I have settled on the Kel-tec sub 2000. I still can't decide on the 9mm or the 40cal, but shooting his in the 40cal that he went and bought last night might help make up my mind.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
looks to me like you'll have a very nice saturday! now the way i look at it its totally okay to have more than one (or five) of the same cal, this way you can really sock the ammo away for a rainy day. keeps hoarding ammo simple!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just bought my first Hi-Point, a 9mm model 995TS. Since I have close to 5,000 rounds of 9mm it did not make much sense to me not to have a rifle that would handle the same ammo as my 2 9mm handguns. I scored this dude brand new from a local pawn shop for $300 and no sales tax. Planning on taking it out tomorrow to run a few 100 rounds through it. I also purchased 2 extra 10 round clips and the guy gave me the handle clip holder than holds 2 extra clips. I have friends that own Hi-Point guns and they swear by them plus all of their weapons have a life time warranty no matter how many owners it has had. Made in America too!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
oh hell! nobody told me about those.... the 9 rifle looks right up my alley. whats the distance on those things certainly the advantage is cost of ammo... and a reason to get anothoer rifle lol but hunney, i dont have one of those lol
sweet would you do a wrtite up on it ?so i can start thinking?

·
Registered
433 Posts
oh hell! nobody told me about those.... the 9 rifle looks right up my alley. whats the distance on those things certainly the advantage is cost of ammo... and a reason to get anothoer rifle lol but hunney, i dont have one of those lol
sweet would you do a wrtite up on it ?so i can start thinking?
I will indeed do a write up after I have some range time with this new toy tomorrow. In the mean time here is a link to Hi-Point and also a Youtube video on the Hi-Point 995TS.
Hi-Point Firearms: 9mm Carbines

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is just an observation... and not fact based... but why does it seem that most gun videos are of guys with huge beer guts? Is it because we convince ourselves we don't have to be in shape if we own lots of guns and can shoot well? Personally, I prefer to be low key and avoid observation or I get out of the threat area as fast as possible. I don't plan on shooting my way out unless I have to since it will draw too much attention my way. With that in mind... I prefer having a belly small enough that I can carry it out of there with speed and not be gasping for air after running 50 ft. If we are going to put a lot of time, energy and money into prepping, doesn't it make sense that one of those tools we have to keep in good shape is our own body? I guess it's fair to say "There are preppers... and then there are preppers!"

Reactions: Denton and C5GUY

·
Registered
433 Posts
WoadWarrior...LMAO!! That is something that I too have noticed. Maybe you are on to something in the fact that most of these dudes are so out of shape that they have to have a lot of firepower around to make them feel secure. I too feel that my survival will be more assured if I stay in shape. I turned 60 this summer and am in better shape than I was at 30. I maintain my weight around 185 to 190 pounds all year around and work out on an elliptical trainer and free weights usually 6 days to 7 days each week. My wife does the same and is really into running and competes in 5K races on a regular basis. For a lady that will turn 60 next spring she turns a lot of heads when we walk into a room.

·
Registered
640 Posts
C5GUY... maybe you need the firepower to keep those "turned heads" at a distance. :)

Glad to hear you are staying in shape. While in the military, I kept in shape because I had to, but I hated being told to do. Now that I'm out, I'm finding that its a lot more fun doing it just for me... just because I want to. Maybe that will make all the difference and I can quote you when I turn 60.

Reactions: C5GUY
1 - 20 of 43 Posts