Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having such a nice day. The sun is out, the sky was blue and I wanted to warm up my Ford F-150 truck--which is more "leisure" than "meaner."

But as I approached my house the rear left wheel sounded like it was grinding up little lead toy soldiers, and choking them down by the dozen. Fortunately most of the one-mile to my home was downhill with no traffic. I have a manual stick-shift, five speed on the floor with a very long 'stick.' I find this is a nice convenience as you can sit up straight, shift the lever and feel the slot without leaning over or down.

After coasting for most of the trip I did have to engage the gear-box for a short trip up my gently slanted driveway. I got back onto the clutch as soon as I could and rolled daintily into my spot in the garage. Heck, I even left my wife's car with room!

Of course, my wife reminded me that we are on the cusps of a three-day weekend and no one is going to have a shop open. I do know that Capitol Ford usually has a few mechanics working on corporate trucks, and there might even be a slot for me. Keep a good thought guys, this is a 26 year old Ford, black as night with not even the slightest 'ding.'

Oh, and my wife is taking her car to Milwaukee tomorrow, so if you see a biker on a pogo stick, pull over and pick me up...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got a call from my gear-head guy, Randy, at the local Ford dealership. I had described the "noise," and Randy gave me the down-low on what was happening. Turns out that the rear wheels on my F-150 are the same as the front wheels. Periodically something akin to a 'shim' shakes loose. That's the thingie that makes the loud noise but is less than 1.5 inches long. I asked Randy for suggestions.

He told me that those rear wheels toss lots of tiny things, most are found at a 1,000 or 2,000 mile check-up. His advice was to drive like my grandmother over the weekend and come back when the mechanics sober up.

I agreed. Heck, I used to be a mechanic...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts