Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting off work at 0600 on Weds, I decided to run up to the Beer Barn and pick up a couple dozen minnows, despite the water still being a little on the cold side, and drown a few at a neglected spot I have been eyeing for a while now. Its a rock Jetty at the Marina I work at thats about 80 yards long at the harbor entrance to the Marina. Its over grown with brush and only accesable by boat. Here on Lake Lewisille the Crappie really seem to gravitate to the rocks during the spawn and this looked like the perfect spot for them and one that never gets fished except in the summer by a Bass Fisherman trying to score on a couple.

Tossed the Yak into the water and went to connect the electronics up to the new battery I bought to power them up. As luck would have it one of the connectors war corroded and broke off when attaching. That really kind of sucked as I really wanted to get a good feel for the depth and bottom structure here. Looks like that aspect of the trip will have to happen another day out on the water.

Thats okay, Im a Big Ol' Fishing Pimp (ha ha ha) and I dont need a Fish Finder anyways! I ended the hour long morning trip with 15 nice sized Crappie in the 12 inch range. That was really nice but the real excitement was I got spooled TWICE! Dont know whether I hooked into a 5-6 pound Bass or a Hybrid but on two occasions I got hit so hard and spooled so quick I didnt even have enough time do do much of anything other than watch it happen! Planning on going out again this week end and this time I think I will carry something a little more substantual than a light action spinning rod with 6 lbs test line.

Here are the particulars. The water was 55 degrees. I was fishing water about 3 feet deep and about 3 feet from the shore line. The water was fairly murky as it always is here with only about a foot of visability. The rig was a slip bobber about 12 inches above the swivel with a 1/8th ounce weight. A Number 2 Aberdeen hook on a 10 inch leader below that. All minnows were nose hooked for long life and lots of movement. Outside temp was about 51 degrees with about a 5 mph wind that picked up to about nine by the time I called it a morning.

Anyways here is a few pics...

Water Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fluvial landforms of streams Lake Water Water resources Fluid Lake Watercourse Water Fisherman Fish Marine biology Recreational fishing Water Liquid Fluid Lake Shark

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Must be nice cars are driving on our lakes now. Will be about 4-5 months before the water is soft enough to fish without drilling a hole.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Murky water? That would be considered clear around here. You don't even know what you caught until it is out of the water.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey LF, was that marina that had the roof collapse?
No that was on the south side of the lake, this one is on the north (Lakeview) , at Pier 121. It was pretty ugly though. Several expensive boats were severly damages and a couple of other sank. Quiet a few of the docks here and at Eagle Point Marina which we also have an account with came close to capsizing due to the weight of the ice and sleet on them. I have never seen that happen here before! Now I have seen 70 plus mph shear winds from a down burst flip a couple of the docks and the boats tied to those docks...I was on a dock when that happened and was over there fishing folks out of the water and cutting boats loose with bolt cutters so they wouldn't sink. Talk about freaky events!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Murky water? That would be considered clear around here. You don't even know what you caught until it is out of the water.
Yeah I have fished a few places much worse than this and your right sometimes you don't know what you got till you get it out of the water!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Must be nice cars are driving on our lakes now. Will be about 4-5 months before the water is soft enough to fish without drilling a hole.
Ditto that. I have not seen open water in over a month, except the Mississippi. Even the river had ice on it Thursday night when Mrs Inor drove me home from airport. (That is unusual for this early in the year.)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great job Fringe, i went out few days sgo in the boat with 2 dozen minnows and paddled around the lake for 3 hours never even got a bite. it had been cool for a few days prior to use going but had gotten hot again that day so i'm assuming that was the problem ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts