Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weapon security , Keeping your weapons out of the wrong hands but ready when you need them is a never end battle.
There are new ideas and old ideas. No one right or wrong way of everyone.
Once in a while someone comes up with an idea and it shows promise . This line caught my eye , I plan on adding a couple to the shopping list.
Worth a look.
Shot Lock Vaults

·
Registered
560 Posts
Looks like something good, let us know what you think when you get one please....

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thankfully we don't have kids as of yet, so it's a simple matter for us to have a loaded shotgun sitting nearby at all times; couple that with the fact that I hardly if ever leave without my sidearm, I'm usually wearing that at home too. At least up until the wee hours of the evening. Combine that with a dog that's very unwelcoming until she knows you, and an exterior of my house that screams "no money here!", we're doing fairly well so far. :D

I would like to see a variation of this with a biometric scanner, but as long as you keep your code short (3-5 numbers) there's no reason you couldn't open it just as quickly. Biometrics are still prone to fail, and you need that backup option in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Looks like a nice options for people who have kids or crazed family members around (same thing really) and want to keep their AR at the ready. Thankfully I don't have/live with either, but if I did I'd consider one. I've had a crazed ex-wife and quite a few girlfriends short a few marbles in sense, but how many American women aren't. Not many.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When we built this house we did things some what different than what is normally done. Some steel was use in the construction so we have some areas that could securely attach devices like these. That was not the reason for the steel just an unintended out come.
No one option works all the time nor is prefect . Some weapons are even stored off sight. While I do not do it I would have no problem with a loaded weapon sitting anywhere in the house. I just do not allow it, if it is loaded it is locked up or on you . Simple rules leaves no room for mistakes.
I am always looking for new and better ways to secure and store weapons but still have quick access to them.

Fuzzee were we dating the same girls?

Reactions: shotlady and Fuzzee

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I think these lock boxes are great and securing your firearms are a requirement for responsible gun ownership. People should also get into the habit of locking doors securing their vehicles and out buildings. Really to have a weapon ready a person would have to have it one them 24/7. Think about if a person enters your home and starts making their way to you. How long until you are awake or become aware that danger approaches, are able to get your firearm and are able to engage?
An example, I worked at one time with a female agent who had a backup revolver in a ankle holster. I don't like ankle holsters so I asked her why she would carry in such a manner? She told me that it was more comfortable to sleep with it on her ankle than her waist. She then told me that in college she was raped and that her attacker was on top of her before she could react. She had a pistol in a lock box but no way of getting to it. I use lock boxes but when I sleep I have a weapon at the ready and with my career choice I have a weapon on me at all times because I tend to piss off a lot of bad people.
Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Fuzzee were we dating the same girls?
Maybe, maybe not. I think the reality is, women pass down crazy, generation to generation and talk to their daughters about the best way to make men miserable these days more than they ever did about being a good wife or girlfriend. God bless the feminist movement for helping ruin the American family. It's why there are lots of single women these days and less guys wanting to marry them I think. Lots of my friends have just decided to be confirmed bachelors at this point and keep their girlfriends at a safe distance, because in a blink they can be deadly trouble, both mortally and lawfully.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I kind of like the idea of that vault but since I don't own an AR it ain't gonna work for me. I've considered the Tac Vault by gun vault but it's about $200 more than the one in the link above. The Tac Vault make work for those that choose not to own ARs.

-Infidel

P.S. They're all crazy, just varying degrees. Best you can hope for is to get one that's a little less nuts than all the rest.

·
Registered
904 Posts
This is a never ending issue in my household. In fact, I just spent a good bit of time rounding up the various weapons in my house and putting them in the safe since my wife and I are heading out to dinner and a baby sitter is coming over. I look forward to any reviews on this new product which looks promising.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Smitty,
I like the concept of the Shot Lock Vault. Nice find.

No children in our home so all weapons that are out are loaded. I've taken some Blackhawk SERPA Polymer Holsters and bolted them to end tables and night stands. Easy to access but difficult to see or find if you did not know they were there. Also I have small handgun safes (GunSafe Mini Vault) bolted down in a couple of rooms,

GV 1000S | GunVault

Each safe is programmed with the same combination. I don't like the biometric combination locks so I only use the finger push button combination locks. Takes me all of 2 minutes to extract the weapons from the SERPA holsters and replace them in the safes when we leave.

One tip regarding the bolting of the SERPA holsters to furniture...Complete this project when the woman of the house is out. Mrs Slippy nearly had a heart attack as I began drilling holes with the ole DeWalt Drill into her nice end tables and night stands. Finished product is great and you can't tell the holster is attached but it still caused her some anxious moments. Kind of like sausage making...

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am also curious to see what you think of it when you get it.
No little ones or crazy(er) woman around here, so if we're here, what is needed is close at hand. Otherwise, they're locked up.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
That is one awesome safe. Like you said, no one system will work for everyone, all the time, but it is very innovative.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't like the idea of a weapon in plain sight, that would keep a kid or unprepared person from accessing it, but any robbery it would be easy to dismount that from the wall. I prefer a gun hook inside a closet over the door, easy to mount, hard to see or detect, kids can't get it, hell even a short person would have a hard time even if they knew it was there.
The up side is with a couple upstairs and a couple down I have one I can get at fast.

Of course my 100lb german shepard is my alarm, she barks when a vehicle she doesn't recognize drives up let alone EVERYONE that is outside the house.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
I don't have children at home, so no worry about that. I thought I lost the keys to my firearm cabinet but finally found them. No firearms were inside, thank God. Anytime people are coming over, the firearms get put away.
I too would be interested in your evaluation.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Smitty, I loved the concept, just not the price! If someone ever comes out with an affordable quick access platform that covers the "popular" weapon styles, they are going to make a fortune. It's the same thing for securing a weapon in your vehicle. Lotsa good ideas out there, but you'll go broke in the meantime.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I get a lot of crap for the way I handled the situation when my kids were around but it worked for me.

There was always a gun on me and another close. They were always loaded and in plain view. One on the end table next to me and one in a shoulder rig. When the kids came along they were right there. When they were young it was just as easy to keep them from "playing" with the guns as it was to keep them from playing with the stove or stereo. Once the got a little older they showed interest and they were told that they had to ask. when they asked - and they did -a lot- I would drop what ever it was that I was doing and taught them to clear the gun before they could handle it at all. They grew up thinking that the way to pick up a gun was to clear it and then treat it like it was loaded. They still do that when they come over with their kids. My son will ask and then clear it and handle it as though it is still loaded. He learned from dad that "guns are always loaded and knives are always sharp" and although he likes to say it backwards (guns are always sharp and knives are always loaded) it is instinctual to ask, clear and then check it out. My daughter does the same thing. They started shooting when they were big enough to hold the gun and pull the trigger. They had already been handling the gun for years before that. There was no fascination with the guns. They were like the rest of dad's tools. Once the "new" wore off it was just another piece of furniture. We have never had any accidents with guns in any of our family so it can work as long as the parent can pay attention and interact with his kids.

Is it the only way to handle the safety issues? NO, is it the way everybody should do it? No, because not all parents are capable of engaging their children. It was safe in my home for me and my kids. It might not be in a different home with different kids and adults.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
I get a lot of crap for the way I handled the situation when my kids were around but it worked for me.

There was always a gun on me and another close. They were always loaded and in plain view. One on the end table next to me and one in a shoulder rig. When the kids came along they were right there. When they were young it was just as easy to keep them from "playing" with the guns as it was to keep them from playing with the stove or stereo. Once the got a little older they showed interest and they were told that they had to ask. when they asked - and they did -a lot- I would drop what ever it was that I was doing and taught them to clear the gun before they could handle it at all. They grew up thinking that the way to pick up a gun was to clear it and then treat it like it was loaded. They still do that when they come over with their kids. My son will ask and then clear it and handle it as though it is still loaded. He learned from dad that "guns are always loaded and knives are always sharp" and although he likes to say it backwards (guns are always sharp and knives are always loaded) it is instinctual to ask, clear and then check it out. My daughter does the same thing. They started shooting when they were big enough to hold the gun and pull the trigger. They had already been handling the gun for years before that. There was no fascination with the guns. They were like the rest of dad's tools. Once the "new" wore off it was just another piece of furniture. We have never had any accidents with guns in any of our family so it can work as long as the parent can pay attention and interact with his kids.

Is it the only way to handle the safety issues? NO, is it the way everybody should do it? No, because not all parents are capable of engaging their children. It was safe in my home for me and my kids. It might not be in a different home with different kids and adults.
PaulS,
That is excellent advise for those with young children.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem today is new laws in many states you could spend years in prison for not keeping a weapon Locked up to their standard . Even if nothing happened.
There have been case where parents have been arrest just because someone reported to the police they had a weapon that was not locked up.
Last week in the news Kid suspended from school and parents investigated because a kid had a picture of a gun.
As for cost. In today's world nothing that works is cheap anymore.
Took my grandson for a milk shake the other day after school we each had one 7 dollars 58 cents.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Weapon security , Keeping your weapons out of the wrong hands but ready when you need them is a never end battle.
There are new ideas and old ideas. No one right or wrong way of everyone.
Once in a while someone comes up with an idea and it shows promise . This line caught my eye , I plan on adding a couple to the shopping list.
Worth a look.
Shot Lock Vaults
Very nice and helpful. I do not have Children nor do I have guests with children so keeping guns locked up while the house alarm is disarmed isn't really a problem.

I think when children / young adults commit crimes with weapons from their parents / family they should be held to charges of some extent as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.