Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought occurred to me that if you are in your home, you hear something like a window breaking or door being forced open, its dark, you grab your gun, you navigate through your house and turn your laser or flashlight on, wouldn't that be like saying here I am?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah Ralph, If I had firearms, and I heard a window smash or an intruder in my home, I think I would stay put in the room that I was in, get behind some cover, stay silent, then empty a full mag into the intruder as soon as it entered the room. Bugger that going looking for him with a laser sight or flashlight attached, let him come to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
of course if you are using a flashlight he will have his pupils dialted and be in low light vision mode... a bright light in the face would likely disorient them long enough to get a couple of rounds off and then turn your light off. If the perp isnt bleeding out on your wood floors by that time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nothing says I love you like a laser hitting you in the eye in a dark room. :lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I read maybe on here or somewhere else is you should be able to walk your house in total darkness. Also if any of you live around a Theisen's farm supply store they carry a tactical flashlight with high/low beam and strobe function with adjustable intensity for I think it was 18.99. I have it mounted on my shotgun. Very nice item for the price. The strobe is totally bad azz. If you don't have that store around you and would be interested in one of these let me know we can work it out and get you one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah Ralph, coming to think of it, you're right. But getting under cover and then flashing the light on the guy is pretty safe an option, don't you think? :?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I really bright flash light (200 Lumens or greater) will cause temporary blindness and give you the extra 5 to 10 seconds to aim and take the shot.

If you do not have a good flashlight and you hear the glass break, dial 911, tell the operator you have an intruder, keep the operator on the line, and start shouting to the intruder that you have contacted the police, have a firearm, and you are prepared to defend yourself and family!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I always leave about 20 GB pounds (30 US dollars) in notes and cash laying in full view on the table in my other room so that a burglar will grab it and hopefully leave my flat with a satsfied grin on his face instead of pushing his luck by continuing to prowl around.
Remember, we might not hear a burglar breaking in, and the last thing we want is to be woken up with a gun or knife in our face, so the sooner he leaves without disturbing us, the better..:)

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
thought occurred to me that if you are in your home, you hear something like a window breaking or door being forced open, its dark, you grab your gun, you navigate through your house and turn your laser or flashlight on, wouldn't that be like saying here i am?
most of my handguns have lasers and some lights. Have an ir laser on a m4 to use with anpvs7 coggles.

If you know someone has broken in stay in the room and get under cover/concealment.
The doorway is a choke point and you can control it.
You know where you are he does not.
Before he can scan the room you can take him down from your defensive position, which you should have thought out at an earlier date.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my only counterpoint to those who say stay under cover, call police and barricade yourself, is if you have children or older parents with you that need to be protected.

The flashlight... it needs to be a good HIGH POWER one is (in my opinion) more valuable than a laser, primarily for target identification. It takes training to use properly. You're not going to be trying to "clear" your house... SWAT and special forces use teams for that, not individuals. You want to get to your family, protect them. The light would allow target ID as well as (like mentioend earlier) a potential to blind the intruder.

I'm not a fan of weapon mounted lights on a handgun..... a long-gun like shotgun or carbine/rifle may be ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a weapon light on my P226 and AR. If you wake up to someone trying to get into your castle or is already in you do not have to turn your light on right away. You will have good night vision and so will the intruder; however, with a weapon light, once you see him/her you can easily manipulate the switch and blind/identify the threat and proceed as necessary. The only time you will be giving your position away is if you keep your light on constantly because if you wait for the opportune moment your light should be blinding the perp.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I really bright flash light (200 Lumens or greater) will cause temporary blindness and give you the extra 5 to 10 seconds to aim and take the shot.

If you do not have a good flashlight and you hear the glass break, dial 911, tell the operator you have an intruder, keep the operator on the line, and start shouting to the intruder that you have contacted the police, have a firearm, and you are prepared to defend yourself and family!
Remember the 911 call is being recorded. Anything you say or anything your neighbors thinks they heard you say may end up being repeated in a courtroom. Be safe everyone.

punch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flashlights? Yes. Lasers? Not so much, but in some situations could probably be useful. That's just my opinion though. I know my house pretty well and can navigate it without a light, but what if little Suzy, who's not so little anymore, is sneaking in after a night out with her boyfriend and she accidentally breaks something? A flashlight would help you identify the potential target so you don't accidentally blow little Suzy's head off. ::rambo::

I do agree with punch, though. Even if you're trying to protect yourself things could be used against you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have never liked lights or lasers. For one they take up space, need special holsters or care, the batteries die.

I just use night sights.
Learn to use the basics and practice, practice, practice.

I'll say it again in case anyone missed it practice some more.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
A laser is good for a nightstand gun and probably for a carry gun also. I found it hard to find a holster for my Crimson Trace Railmaster, hard to build one also. It seems the light always stayed on. Laser grips would be better, but my Glock grip is already wide enough for me and I don't want to add girth. I opted for Trijicon HD night sites and a 120 lumen cree flashight.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I personally do not like a light mounted on a gun. I have a seperate flashlight and I have had training in using it with a pistol. I don't worry about kids roaming around the house, as they are all grown and gone--I just prefer to be able to sweep a room with the light without having to point my gun where the light is pointed if I want to. With a weapon mounted light, you do not have that option. I have night sights on my Kimber and don't feel the need for a laser sight. If you have a laser sight, be sure to train with it and without it! As with anything mechanical, technical, or battery operated, it can fail! And usually at the most inopertune time! Train, train, train! But be sure to do it in a safe manner. :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm with the naysayers here. I wouldn't put a light on a gun. It would give your position away and give them a direction to aim.

I also dunno if I agree with this hiding and waiting thing, especially if you have dogs in the house. I know my dogs would flip the moment the doorknob rattled or a baseboard creaked. I am a big believer in the fact that if you let an intruder or rapist enter your space, dominate you and your situation, they will take everything you have, even your life. To hell with that. I'm not going down without a fight.

I had an intruder break into my house when I was home alone years ago. I was in my pajamas and making breakfast in my kitchen. I heard the door come open and saw a young male walk through. He didn't see me at first and was looking around the front end of my apartment. I grabbed the nearest knife, acted crazy and yelled, charging the intruder. I also pretending there was another person (male) in the house with me and I was calling him out to come break the guys leg. The intruder fled and fled fast. I have no idea if he was armed or what, but what I did worked. Honestly, I'm not sure that would work in every scenario, but it did in mine. This guy was pretty lucky I didn't have a gun on-hand at the time. I would have shot him right in the kneecap and let him bleed til the cops showed up. This was a daytime incident though, so not really applicable here.

Nowadays we sleep on the second floor. Basically I would grab my weapon, dial 911 and barricade myself in the hall between my kids room and the top of the stairs. I wouldn't use any kind of light to give away my position. I would however start communicating with the intruder before I started shooting. Basically letting them know I'm not messing around and they need to identify themselves or they will be shot the moment they hit the stairs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lights on guns are for searching. I have them on my rifles, shining a light while looking for a bad guy gives them a point of aim keep this in mind. I am a cop and that is why we weapon mount lights it frees up you hands. We also use light discipline, on look off move using a pressure switch. I have bought some cheap Chinese made barrel clamp and mounted a 6 dollar led on off style switch flashlight on my 22's. Great for varmints at night lets me see about 100 or more feet. The other benefit is if you have to run when you grab your rifle you have a flashlight. My stock set on my ar has a battery compartment so I have spares in an emergency.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts