Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,068 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,182 Posts
To all you guys and gals at the NSA, who are reading this post, good morning! Hope you had your coffee this morning and took a healthy, steaming c**p. I think I'll include this greeting in all my e-mails too.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The net has never been private. We have always known service providers could see our post. This is a big over reaction. Radio operators, ham, CB, have always known their communications were not secure. Many see the net more like a telephone communication. Then there is the mail.

A strong argument can be made for that; except unlike the telephone net communications are seldom one on one. Even one on one communications have never had any type seal.

To us old folks it seemed like email carried a seal because it took special knowledge to hack communications. This idea was reinforced by the fact that a lot of hatching is illegal. I think we have falsely assumed more hacking was illegal than was actually unlawful. The majority of unlawful hacking is when it is done to steal or commit fraud. Two things that alone are unlawful.

How many of us knew our trash was fair game for snooping before it was exposed on movies and TV. I did not. I suppose I could have come to that conclusion if I had given it any thought.

Which is why I think we are shocked by the idea that the government can and does sift our net activities. We never gave it much thought.

Maybe encryption will be ruled the equivalent to a sealed envelope in the mail. It certainly meets a reasonable standard analogy. Individuals at both ends must have the code. So it is clearly one on one intended privacy while other activities are done in the open on the net.

It seems foolish to assume that what is so easily done by our enemies should not be done by our own government to protect us. This thinking will trigger the, "we're better than that response." As citizens and believers in a western code of moral ethics that is correct. But we have long, long ago accepted that our government does things that we abstain from as individual behavior.

Privacy, our Constitution and a carefree existence is the life we enjoy. Time, technology and Muslim ethics have changed that. Adapt and move on with life. We still have our privacy. We have just practiced it naively.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Just another reason to cut all governments in this country down to a much smaller size and make them accountable to the people, by ANY means necessary!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Can the government look at me? Yes! Are they interested enough to do so? I doubt it.
Bigger question is can you really look at the government? Are you interested enough and if you do, what can you really do about the government! What will the government allow you to do if your not happy about what the government does? What you do is an open book to the government, but they hide a lot of what they do. Wonder why that is.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Why am I thinking any efforts to disable their monitoring options and all that will immediately red flag you on some other watch list for "subversive behavior"?!? :D :D :D
Because to keep the children safe, our government will kill whom ever they deem necessary, even the children. Can you say Waco or Ruby Ridge!! Screw the government and their freakin lists!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True but isn't that the fun part :)

Why am I thinking any efforts to disable their monitoring options and all that will immediately red flag you on some other watch list for "subversive behavior"?!? :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do they manage to monitor someone that goes and pays cash for a tablet or note book. Registers the device with an alias, only logs onto the web in a public wifi place with no camera, and uses that only to access completely anonymous emails made up on your stupid brother in laws computer while he wasn't looking (I didn't say that). But seriously how would they monitor that individual? You don't think that's how al queda types roll?

·
Super Moderator
9,182 Posts
How do they manage to monitor someone that goes and pays cash for a tablet or note book. Registers the device with an alias, only logs onto the web in a public wifi place with no camera, and uses that only to access completely anonymous emails made up on your stupid brother in laws computer while he wasn't looking (I didn't say that). But seriously how would they monitor that individual? You don't think that's how al queda types roll?
Did you remember to cover up that little tiny video camera at the top of the screen that looks at you while you type away. (I didn't say that either."

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Duct Tape!

Did you remember to cover up that little tiny video camera at the top of the screen that looks at you while you type away. (I didn't say that either."

·
Registered
921 Posts
Funny you should mention that. My new laptop is the first computer I've had with a built-in camera. The first day I had it I taped a piece of cardboard over the camera and the mike.
I had already turned it off, but from what I've read, it can be turned on remotely by just about any hacker.

As to privacy, sorry. It's waaay too late now.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you want privacy there is always a way to get it. You can combine encryption with other methods like book codes or news articles to get you message to only the person you want to communicate. After the PGP encryption is taken away it appears to be an innocuous note - only when the page is referenced to the book or article do the words get their meaning across.

You can choose which book to use without tipping them off by discussing books and simply agreeing to one you both have in your possession. PGP or other software encryption is available on the net or from other sources.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i hate to tell ya.. your on lots of lists just by being on a forum like this one....
Stinks to be the NSA guy assigned to me! They can knock on my door and come in to investigate any time they like. Hell, I'll make margarita's! If their looking for Jason Borne action and drama... Waa, waa. Might get me for a speeding ticket, or maybe my Jack Russell will bite their leg. Probably not the carrier making bust their dreaming of! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts