Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't have a lot of money right now lost my job about two months ago,So I wanna start prepping to take that time up, I figure since I don't pay for water(thank you landlord) I will start storing water.

what is the best way to do so, what is a free or very cheap container to store the water?

what should I put in the water or where to help keep it the longest?

Thanks for all the help....

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been very interested in this subject recently and have been doing some research. My work has tons of these empty 5 gal water jugs. 5gallon_handle.gif

I was concerned of BPA content in the plastic but recently discovered BPA's website with much dismissed studies that BPA does not have significant effects on humans. You can check out their site here...Bisphenol A (BPA) Information & Resources Most of these jugs are plastic type 7 (other)

With that said, since these jugs are freely available, I am going to use them to store some water for my girlfriend and I.

Pros: fills 5 gallons each, great grab handle for portability and carrying, durable and will last years
Cons: Clear (must keep away from light to preserve), can become very heavy, not stackable.

So there ya go, its not the perfect solution but I think its a cheap solution. If you need lids, I buy from ebay member (mattjwiese) Cheap and great quality.

There are other larger and more stackable jugs available from places like Walmart but you will find they are $15-20 each. Good luck

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the idea of the container, is there anything you put in the water? How long do you think they can last?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here is what I do. When I empty a 2-litre soda bottle, juice container, milk jug, anything household related. I take it and add about 5 drops of bleach or a little more to the containers of water then store it. NOTE: Store the water off of the ground as plastic can take in chemicals. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, add a 1/2 teaspoon of bleach into the water. Be sure to use new bleach as the primary chemicals in bleach degrade relatively quickly so using an old container of bleach will not be effective.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great thanks guys, last question how long do you think it will last?

·
Registered
640 Posts
A friend of mine is a little weird... but has some interesting ideas. He has been buying baffel-free waterbeds... and has about 6 of them stacked up on top of each other (full of water) in his garage. I don't know what he puts in them to keep them fresh but he says he only rotates out the water once a year, in the spring, and then refills them.

He prefers the baffle-free kind... not sure why... and he is using "full" sized, not singles, and said Queens take up too much room for him.

But basically... he has several thousand gallons of water stored that way since I think each one stores about 400+ gallons.

Reactions: Irish

·
Registered
116 Posts
I store my water in 30Gal food grade plastic barrels. You can pick up used ones for about $15-20 each, (give them a good cleaning before you put water in them!)
1/2 tsp of bleach for every 5 gallons, so for the 30Gal I used 3 tsp. It purifies the water of bacteria, same idea as like chlorine in a pool.
I like to change out my water every 6-9 months. I think it would probably last longer. I like to have about 5-6 barrels filled at all times.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are all great ideas I don't know which one to use lmao, what about radiation? Can I put something in the water that will make it safe after and during a fallout?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fallout? lol - wrap in a lead blanket?

Realistically, I would think that if you keep them covered, so that anything falling would not come in contact, say in the garage and them cover them individually, with a plastic garbage bag say, to keep dust and dirt off them, probaly bout the simplist way to take care of it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know it sounds funny but I live a few miles away from downtown chicago,So God forbid if a nuke went off and somehow I did survive I would think the public water supply would be affected. So I was think some type of tablets to ensure no matter what the water will be safe...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here is what I do. When I empty a 2-litre soda bottle, juice container, milk jug, anything household related. I take it and add about 5 drops of bleach or a little more to the containers of water then store it. NOTE: Store the water off of the ground as plastic can take in chemicals. I hope this helps you.
I will try and find the link but DO NOT use milk jugs its been proven that we CAN NOT get all the bacteria out of the milk jugs due to the style of plastic and that its milk!!

I will try and find that page but it was VERY convincing for me . . . Everything else was great though

·
Registered
296 Posts
View attachment 474

Cons: Clear (must keep away from light to preserve), can become very heavy, not stackable.
Against a wall on their sides with something bracing the other side stack them like wine bottles for say? You can stack them to the roof that way!! I love these and have a handfull I also buy mine from army surplus stores, pretty much the same thing. But mine are square about $5-6 bucks each and come with a lid thats a spigot and rubber O-ring seal around the lid plus you can buy them in black blue that sorta cloudy clear and a handful of others but are super strong and work great!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Against a wall on their sides with something bracing the other side stack them like wine bottles for say? You can stack them to the roof that way!! I love these and have a handfull I also buy mine from army surplus stores, pretty much the same thing. But mine are square about $5-6 bucks each and come with a lid thats a spigot and rubber O-ring seal around the lid plus you can buy them in black blue that sorta cloudy clear and a handful of others but are super strong and work great!!
Do you mind giving a link for the website?

·
Registered
640 Posts
These are all great ideas I don't know which one to use lmao, what about radiation? Can I put something in the water that will make it safe after and during a fallout?
JMH... if you are really worried about protecting water from the effects of fallout from a nuclear exchange... then you need a crash course in what a nuclear detonation will actually do. Let's think about this: We will assume that you have created the perfect BOL that is radiation proof and you are able to protect your water and supplies. Meanwhile... any fallout has penetrated everything not in your fallout shelter. All of the animals that you would use for food are now dead... both domestic and wild... all of the birds... all of the fish... What plants manage to survive are probably highly radioactive, inedible, and probably sterile... the soil is contaminated and the radiation will most likely prevent anything new from growing for "quite some time" considering the half life of most of the stuff our enemies use. Meanwhile.... the dead plants whither up and blow away... the radioactive dirt is no longer held down by the roots from these plants and you spend the rest of your life outside your shelter (however long that is) dealing with radioactive sand storms that get into every nook and cranny of your cloths and slowly cook you to death. And that's assuming the initial thermal radiation, the blast overpressure, and the subsequent fire storms don't get you first. Now... if its just a nuclear disaster or residue from a smaller terrorist attack... I'd advice you to abandon the crap that's keeping you in the contaminated area and get the heck out of there. Just my two cents... (ok... maybe that was about 10 cents worth...) :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so basicly I would be screwed, so nvm thanks for all the time you have saved me...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I gotta agree with Woad. Just throw the bag over your shoulder and get outta Dodge. Btw I bought two more 30gal barrels today - $12 each. That makes 8. Gonna stop at 10. That would be 300 gallons. I live in the desert so, i dont think that's overkill.

·
Registered
640 Posts
JMH... i'd plan a BOL FAR FAR away from any major city or target. Store stuff there... and try to get away before the SHTF... cause once it does... you and half a million other screaming citizens of Chicago are all going to be fighting to get away.

So how do you pick where to live? Well... Russia was always a hard-target enemy... meaning they would hit military, govt and infrastructure. China prefers soft targets (big populated cities) to cause strife and panic... and keep us focused at home. Non-state sponsored terrorists prefer population centers that have an American "identity" to make a point. State sponsored terrorist prefer to make a bigger point and would hit a medium sized city of say... 50K people. Cheyenne Wyoming would be an ideal target... 50Kish population, state capital, military base, nuclear base, 20th Air Force Headquarters, major intersection of two interstate highways, etc.

However, I'm in your boat... Colorado Springs is a prime target as well... and because most of my career has been dealing with nukes (yeah... I spent 5 years in Cheyenne as a Launch Officer)... every assignment I've had has been a prime target. But... that also means I had access to the best intel on where and how we think our enemies would attack... and a few of us mapped that against prevailing wind patterns based on the time of year... and I can honestly say I have NO plans for staying in this area if tensions in that particular area start becoming tense.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know it sounds funny but I live a few miles away from downtown chicago,So God forbid if a nuke went off and somehow I did survive I would think the public water supply would be affected. So I was think some type of tablets to ensure no matter what the water will be safe...
Water contaminated with radioactive fallout is contaminated....PERIOD! If you have water stored in a good sealed container its safe from any fallout...perfectly drinkable! Water will not absorb radioactivity but can be contaminated by radioactive dust and dirt and the actual Isotopes themselves if not in a sealed container.

There is NO pill or chemical that will help your water once its been contaminated AND! no pill or chemical will keep your water from getting contaminated if its not in a sealed container!

SSGT
EX US ARMY NUCLEAR / BIOLOGICAL / CHEMICAL WARFARE DEFENSE NCO

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would recomend the 55 gal blue plastic drums, which are made for water. New, our little grocery store sells them for around $60.00 ea. Then the pump costs you another $11.00. The little blue plastic water company bottles are fine, but most of them we have around here are actually only 2-1/2 gal, not 5 gal. Measure them out. The one gallon milk containers , have a tendancy to disolve after awhile, as they are designed to. Epa you know. Also, keep in mind that water is very heavy . About 8 lbs per gallon. So, if you live in an apartment, be careful as it would be very easy to overload the floor and break through if you store a lot of water.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts