Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this but I'll put it here

Water rights in Montana are a interesting beast.

The first person to prove they draw water off of a particular stream has a 1st right. The 2nd person has the second right, etc.

The 1st right has a designated amount of water, say 200 GPM but they are usually allocated in miners inches but they are easily convertible to gallons per minute.

In Montana water rights are separate from land ownership so it is possible to own a water right without owning land, but if you own a water right without some means to convey the water to land you own you will probably lose that right since you have no means of conveyance.

My point is in the 20's and 30's there were a LOT OF FREEKING water rights that changed hands for the price of a cow, or even less. People were desperate for money or even abandoning their property entirely and would sell water rights for the price of a goat.

My point is keep something aside if you live in a state such as mine to suck up water rights as people either leave or get desperate and sell them to you.

In 100 years your great great grandchildren will hail you as a visionary for acquiring water rights from the unprepared.

Of course the current system may not outlive the USA but even if it doesn't the new system will probably draw from the old and your claim may be valid.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
There are certain areas of the Texas Hill Country I would love to retire to but the subject of water rights adds to an already inflated price of real estate. There are so many large ranches there that have been in the same family for so many generations there is little hope of actually owning water rights to anything other than a well or a man made stock pond, lol.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
One thing I've noticed, recently, on some properties for sale in our territory is the owner claims in the listing: "I convey my mineral and water rights to the buyer." I was all over one because the price was low and when I asked for documentation the seller balked and my real estate expert told me they were conveying "THIER" rights which were to collect rain water and pick up minerals off the surface of the land - period. It was a JOKE of a presentation - I'd call it a fraud. Beware.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It just does not seem right to separate water and subsoil (mineral) rights from a piece of property.

I was shocked to find this out about states willed with libertarians.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts