Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you collect large amounts of water? We have a man made water hole on our property, and would like to find a way to collect, clean, pump the water out when need be to use for drinking, cooking and showering.
How can you achieve this with large amounts of water? and what is the best way to purify and store the water for later use?

·
Registered
311 Posts
use the plastic that they use on slabs on houses in between the foundation and the concrete its heavy plastic get a sump pump and some buckets to pump the water in to purify. and look into food grade totes they come in 275 gals for about 175.00-225.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

One such company I know which can help you fro preserving a large amount of water and also provide many other ways to save water. Nirmall Enterprise (nirmallenterprise.com) one of my friends has higher them for water supply system and he is completely satisfy and happy with their work.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
Build a swimming pool and pipe it to a treatment system to be used for potable water if needed.

The water will stay partially treated in the pool with regular maintenance and you get to enjoy the pool. Win win !

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
use the plastic that they use on slabs on houses in between the foundation and the concrete its heavy plastic get a sump pump and some buckets to pump the water in to purify. and look into food grade totes they come in 275 gals for about 175.00-225.00
Consider one of the totes as a catch tank for a gutter system on your roof(s). Have more tanks/cistren to transfer what you collect.

Then you need to decide how to filter/purify, and store the clean water. Lots of ways to do this, try a search......

·
Registered
304 Posts
Consider one of the totes as a catch tank for a gutter system on your roof(s). Have more tanks/cistren to transfer what you collect.

Then you need to decide how to filter/purify, and store the clean water. Lots of ways to do this, try a search......
what is his roof made out of????? careful with giving advise..sometimes people listen

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can purify water pretty efficiently with a couple 5 gallons buckets, a spigot, and some charcoal, sand, and gravel. Just make sure to boil the water afterwards.
how often do you need to replace the charcoal?
What type of charcoal?
where do you get clean gravel and clean sand?
how do you stop the spigots from getting clogged up

ok, enough questions.. you CAN NOT PURIFY water easily with sand, gravel, and charcoal.... you can get rid of some of the larger floating stuff

·
Registered
345 Posts
Activated charcoal is the type to have. I have about 75 lbs. of it that I bought wholesale from an aquarium supply.

Sand is good for removing the "large" items from water. It is essentially a "coarse" filter.

A ceramic filter (I use those made by the company "Just Water") can be mounted in a 5 gallon bucket and water
poured into it...it filters down to 2 microns...you might find a filter that goes smaller, but you may not be able
to filter large amounts of water with it. Look around to see whats available...some people like Sawyer...others
rely on Berkey.

Katadyn has a ceramic filter (expensive but high quality) that is also bacteriostatic (Just Water is the same way).

Bleach is often used to kill microorganisms. Pool chlorine works the same. Be careful how much you ad...
too much and the taste is AWFUL!

Calcium Hypochlorite (Pool Shock) can also purify water (kill bacteria) but once again the amount you use must
not be too much...the flavor issue again. A lifetime supply (enough to treat hundreds of thousands of gallons)
can be had for under $50. It stores for years and years, unlike bleach which goes bad fairly quickly. Check for
it at your local pool supply.

Have your water tested...things like Nitrates can be present. They can be removed by special filters. Just Water
sells them...but that is NOT their standard type of filter.

If you have chemical contamination...I don't know what to tell you...some chemicals can be difficult to eradicate.
Begin with a good water analysis and go from there.

Grim

I just put it down as it comes to me...which right now seems a little random...but for me...it's near to bedtime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts