Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprisingly good.

Water Pie
1 9-inch deep dish pie crust, unbaked (recipe follows)
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 tablespoons butter, cut into 5 pieces

Set the empty pie crust on a cookie sheet. Pour the water into the pie crust.
In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the water in the pie crust. Do not stir it in.
Drizzle the vanilla extract over the flour and sugar. Place butter pats on top.
Carefully transfer the pie on the cookie sheet to the preheated oven. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake an additional 30 minutes. Cover pie crust edges with aluminum foil, if necessary, to prevent over-browning.
The pie will be watery, but it will gel as it cools. Cool completely and then cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
Chef's review: The recipe called for a 9" deep-dish pie crust. It doesn't need to be deep-dish; the pie won't be that full. But it's kinda nice to have the extra pie crust contribute to that sugar cookie feel. I think it might work with other flavors of extract. My next experiment with this recipe will be to use coconut oil in place of the butter and coconut flavoring in place of the vanilla extract.

Pie Crust

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup lard
6-7 tablespoons ice water
Combine flour and salt in a small mixing bowl. Cut in lard until mixture is crumbly. Add water 2 tablespoons at a time until a nice dough forms. You may not need the final tablespoon.
Divide dough into two balls. Roll each ball out between two sheets of waxed paper and use the waxed paper to help transfer the dough to the pie plate.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I make the same thing but I substitute the water with banana cream pie filling.:devil:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just showed this to my wife. I will now be eating it at some point in the next week. She's really intrigued by it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts