Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our 5 acres and just got a descent amount of it cleared and our pop up camper out there. Next is trying to prioritize what to do!

The three choices are security in the form of using our money to fence in the property. We have finally settled on the type of fence we are using due to our 4 year old having Autism we have to make sure it can't be climbed while trying to avoid the tens of thousands it would take for aluminum non-climb fence. So we are using roofing aluminum sheets with wood that will block all vision and keep it from being able to be climbed by anyone on the outside or the inside and is pretty cheap to do. Do not have a full price though yet.

Second would be a well dug. We got a quote for about $3750.00 to build a well with a hand pump. Once we get our living space up we can add an 85 gallon tank on it to have powered running water but for now we want to get a hand pump to make sure we can get water when we need it with or without power. Which brings my final.

Power. We are looking at two options. One is temporary power for about $1800.00 by the power company but it is temporary till we get our final place ready so to me that is some what of a waste. Or a honda generator that can power the pop up camper. Which is about $2200.00.

I was leaning towards the power because it is the cheapest and we could probably have that ready by the end of the summer. However, what good is lights on if there isn't any way of getting water and no way to protect your spot if the situation happens. However, if we went water route, well that is great, but we can't protect our land (it would probably take a few days anyways for people to figure out where our land is anyways for the most part) but no real way to protect with no guns or fencing just a bow and a BB gun. That won't do much right now! So is having water the way to go even if we can't protect it and no power? Or do we throw up the fence to secure the property and secure our son is safe from wondering. However, building a fence could hinder future development as we continue to put things around the property. Just really don't know which direction to go first. I first thought power cause we can use it at the property or at our current house should a hurricane or anything natural happen. My wife says go with the water and obviously we need water to survive. Hopefully it won't matter because really either way we are screwed if something too major happens right now. But what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You have the most important thing - shelter. The next is water. Get the well drilled and put it on the highest ground you have. That way you can use whatever slope you have to assist the pump - regardless of the type of pump.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All flat land here. Well maybe a slight slope into our wetlands which is in the back half of the yard. But yes we do have a pop up camper so we do have shelter even though it isn't much of a shelter. It does work. So you say throw up that pump and then what would be next, generator or security?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
In a normal situation I would say water, power, then fence. Your situation isn't the norm with the considerations for your son. I'd say certainly water first, then listen to your gut and heart. We can make all the recommendations in the world but we don't know your son, and how resourceful he is in his escape artistry.

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
What's your time frame? Personally, I'd say water, security then generator. I say security in that you have your son to think about. I'd take the cheap route on power until I could then afford later to get look at alternatives. Also, there are less expensive generators besides a Honda.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If we were moving out there it would have to be fence first and I would collect morning dew off the grass if I had to haha. But since we have our home a couple of miles away and we will be out there just working on the land with limited time staying there I'm Ok waiting on the fence as we keep a sharp eye on him. We have 5 kids so everyone is always on alert including my wife wife and I. So fence for him is a super high priority but I'm ok looping it in there with security of the property for now and since we are not living there. I have been going around and picking up abandoned pallets at local stores and I'm going to build a temporary pallet fence. While this will not keep him in it will at least give a barrier that will help him see the boundaries. Out of the 5 acres we have about 2 that we can use as the other 3 is wet lands so we just have 2 acres to fence. Which is still a big area to fence!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time frame is soon as we can save up enough money. My goal is sometime in august to be able to get either the well or the power. So I'm leaning well now to have in August or by the end of August. Then the fence and the power by the end of the year

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Without the water issue solved first the other two really dont matter now do they?

You can survive without a fence, you can survive with out power but you can not survive without water! You will need water to sustain yourself physically and you will need water to keep any live stock and to grow a garden. So to my way of thinking water is the priority.

The power issue can be addressed next with something such as a genset, followed by a few solar panels and a windmill generator and eventually possibly a 30-50 amp hook up as money is available. On my property I had a small desiel genset that I used for a while until I could afford to have a 50 amp RV type hook up installed. This allowed me to use Farm Grade deisel which is cheaper than gas to power things up. I then added a few panels and a small windmill genset. I eventually added the 50 amp hook up even though my RV was a 30 amp righ. After that I finally finished the small structure on the property thats earth bermed and then used a RV cord to run power from the 50 amp hook up to the power panel of the structure to give me power inside the structure. Did I spend a little money, yeah. But I was able to keep myself sustainable until I could reach my end goal and further more the Tax office or the power company doesnt know I have a structure on the property...just a concrete pad to park an RV and a 50 amp hook up with a "hill" behind it when I am there on "vacation".

As for the fence you could install a smaller temp fence and then eventually install a more permenant fence around the property as funds are available.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
They grow up so fast, I would think 1/4 to 1/2 acre fenced in would be plenty, not like you're building a dog run. Seriously, a 4 yr. old legs are short. No way to be left unattended in a fenced in area with wetlands with 5 acres to cover. Better to have him close to keep an eye on. On another note, you don't want to be leaving yourself in the blind by not seeing whats coming because of a no-see-thru fence. The old adage- if its locked and guarded-must be something worthwhile behind it. Best not to draw attention to yourself. jmho:)

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Water, security, electricity. Of all the things we need fo our survival...elctricity wasn't one of them until just over a hundred years ago. So I think you'll be fine! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would go with water. The most important thing you will need, without it one can't survive.
Next is security. You will want train yourself and family on how to defend your property. You don't want anyone to steal from you or your family.
Power can wait until the above can be established. Man can survive without power.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As stated earlier I'm going to put up a Pallet fence in the mean time of free pallets I have acquired. The draw attention to myself thing is something I concern about a bit. I guess I don't get it. If you can't see on the other side why would you want to put yourself in danger to get there? If there is a place well fortified I'd skip it for something easier. I don't know that is just me though.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Run some posts in maybe 1/4 acre, put some bells on rope connected to the posts, & you have an alarm system just incase your son tried getting out.

Seven people will require alot of water. Water is critical in Florida. I would assume you are transporting drinking & cooking water at present. Why not kill two birds with one stone so to say. You are going to need a leanto shelter. One over the camper will cool off the camper immensely. From 1" of rain on 1sqft of surface you can collect .6gal of water. A 4x8 sheet of roofing tin is 32sqft so could collect 19 gallons from 1" of rain. Rain gutter & collect the water into an IBC tote. I made a ceramic water filter system for under $50. That should take care of all water needs for the time you spend there till moving there permanently.

Water has to take priority. Remember that with a hand pump you have to have water on hand to prime the pump.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
As stated earlier I'm going to put up a Pallet fence in the mean time of free pallets I have acquired. The draw attention to myself thing is something I concern about a bit. I guess I don't get it. If you can't see on the other side why would you want to put yourself in danger to get there? If there is a place well fortified I'd skip it for something easier. I don't know that is just me though.
True, but remember, your thinking like a concerned father, considering the well being of a family, You not thinking like a CRIMINAL.
A lot of great ideas, but myself, I would first aquire a 12 gauge shotgun. Then I would go with the well, while building your pallet fence. You can always add fence to what you have erected.
I have zero experience with an autistic child, so these are just my opinions.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Power is not the most important but it will help you do other things. Unless you are trying to live on the property full time then water.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm of the mindset, water first then security and electricity. It seems to me that the fence is more to keep your son safe then for security of the property I don't think I would consider said fence as security but I would classify it as a safety issue and make it a higher priority than security, your family's safety takes priority. As for the fence securing the property I don't feel that a fence really secures much unless it's barbed wired with rows of razor wire topping it, that would help secure the property but there's always a way to get over it no matter what. I like the idea of the temporary pallet fence, pallets are pretty useful things and are generally available free of charge so I would get started on that ASAP. I would consider skinning the pallets with some metal roofing panels or similar item so your boy would have trouble climbing them, this would also add some structural integrity to the fence. I would also consider putting posts in between those pallets and going 2 pallets high if you can lay your hands on enough of them, that should ensure that he couldn't climb them. I'd put the posts in the ground and put up one row of pallets and then add the second row as I acquired them, then as funds allow pick up the metal roofing and start skinning those pallets. After all that, as soon as funds were available I would add the well with the hand pump. I would then concentrate on some security measures such as weapons and training for everyone. You could mix this up a bit and maybe put the well in after the first row of pallets were up and work on the rest as time and funding allows.

-Infidel

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
So, shelter you have, water is the next step then a secure place for the kids to play followed by power so you can actually build the structure that you will live in.
While you are building you will need a secure place for supplies and tools to prevent theft. I leaned that the hard way - Even when you own 125 acres people will steal from you. I lost a 6000 watt generator and a bit over $600 in tools while putting up the building in our secondary BOL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to hear that Paul. We don't have a ton of tools right now, just a couple of Machetes, a couple of shovels and back hoes. Had a chain saw out there for a couple of weeks and nobody seems to bother anything. We are in an area that is nothing but 5 acres lots and then ours is down at the end of a dirt road that nobody seems to travel so I feel fairly safe and my neighbor seems like a very solid individual. But you never know.

This all sounds great, I'm going to go ahead with the Well while working on the Pallet fence and I am planning on doing the metal sheet roofing for the final fence so maybe I can get some of those and reuse them when I'm ready for my permanent fence. We are going to a gun show this Sunday to look at some different weapons. A shotgun, rifle, and handgun are on the list that we will be looking at but we need to find a secure and agreed upon way of keeping them safe from the kids in the mean time. We are talking about it with them a few times a week and when we watch shows point out the safety and respect aspect to get them used to the idea of weapons and that they are not toys and very serious. Things are moving along however it has been raining constantly and I haven't been able to get out there for the past week and it is killing me! I hate waiting! I'm ready to go! Things are coming along though. It is a great journey so far.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts