Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for all the great advice in this thread!

I think I should consider saving for something like a MSR or Katadyn unit that can pump the water through a filter for portable use which will enable me to refil my hydration bladders for my BOB a lot easier.

I guess it makes sense to have more than one way of being able to purify water, in fact several ways would be good. Also having backup plans like bio filters etc if in a SHTF situation how likely are we to be able to get replacement filters?

I have two Source hydration bladders for my BOB one is 2l and the other 3l so I have just over an imperial gallon of water capacity in total if I were to use both at the same time.

With 3D printing just about to take off and effectively make us all producers, we may be able to come up with our own solutions and be able to make products and replacement parts at home.

I have been looking at products made by Dow that can filter arsenic, cyanide and also even uranium! Not sure how effective these would be if you could design and build your own water filter as I think they are mostly for industrial use, but I think it is definitely something I will look into more.

At home at the moment I just have a 3L Brita Maxtra water filter. Having user produced and replaceable media would be more cost effective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have any of you guys heard of the puritii water system? It's used by the NAVY SEALS, these guys on youtube just started putting videos out about it a few weeks ago, my cousin got one and he loves it. I guess he knows one of the guys in the videos, check it out though. I guess they make videos of them scooping water up from random nasty spots and drinking it to show the bottles power. Check it you might like it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone advise what methods they have as part of their preparations for water filtration? This is the thing I am going to look at this month.

I have a 3L Brita Maxtra water filter at home that I use but want more methods and also portable methods for my BOB.

How do you test for poisons in water that might not be detectable my any senses? For example I am thinking of Cyanide and Arsenic.
This is going to be sorta cliche, but I've used a LifeStraw and Sawyer Mini Filter. The Sawyer I like a little bit better because it's a smaller package and filters out 100,000 gallons compared to the larger LifeStraw that filters 1,000 at the same price. Con to the Sawyer is that to clean it you have to carry a syringe type tube to suck out all the excess water whereas on the LifeStraw you can just blow the water out of the end of it.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
This is going to be sorta cliche, but I've used a LifeStraw and Sawyer Mini Filter. The Sawyer I like a little bit better because it's a smaller package and filters out 100,000 gallons compared to the larger LifeStraw that filters 1,000 at the same price. Con to the Sawyer is that to clean it you have to carry a syringe type tube to suck out all the excess water whereas on the LifeStraw you can just blow the water out of the end of it.
You don't 'suck' the water out of a Mini. You back-flush it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts