Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Would you purchase an emergency water filter that filters 10 liters in 3-4 hours

• yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Preppers,

I'm trying to get a little feedback from the community on a water filters. What do you guys feel about portable water filters? they're out there big and small. what if you could purchase a water filter online thats about $100 that can filter 10 liters of water in 3-4 hours to something drinkable? for example TivaWater Filters. they seem to be very useful and portable. theyre ideal for any emergency situation or normal regular use in my opinion. but before i make this purchase id like a little feedback about it. what are some important factors i need to consider about this water filter?

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Already have a Doulton gravity filter system that uses two 7" ceramic filters & love it. And the filters can be cleaned in a few minutes & reused.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Do you want something that can do viruses in addition to protozoa and bacteria?

What is expected life and is it (field) cleanable?

How large is filter?

How large of container(s)? Portable, household, or both?

Pump or gravity feed? Can you adapt to a faucet?

Cost?

I just upgraded to a sawyer purifier (does viruses, 0.02 micron) that I can use for my home (barrels or buckets) or portable with some adapters and tubing. Field cleanable and 250,000 gallon life span:

https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/product_info.php?products_id=94

I also got a few sawyer mini filters (0.1 micron) that go in various bags and vehicles. Also have made adapters for these, can use with a: squeeze bag, gravity feed, or as a straw filter, field cleanable and 100,000 gallon life span

https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/product_info.php?products_id=144

Before that I used a MSR Mini-works that still works well with the original cleanable filter (2000 liter life span, 0.2 micron). It's a pump filter that is field repairable and cleanable, has carbon filter inside to remove some organics and metals. Screws on to 1-L wide mouth water bottles used by backpackers and also to MSR Domedary bags:

MSR® MiniWorks? EX Microfilter.

The MSR dromedary bags are heavy duty and great for portable storage. The 4-L size doubles nicely as a pillow when backpacking. I have made adapters to use these with my sawyer systems for collection. I still use the sawyer "grey" bags for squeeze or gravity feed with the portable sawyers.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/storage/dromedary-bags/product

The Doulton candle filters (0.9 micron) work well with Berkey or Bucket systems, are cleanable, remove organics and metals to some extent, and are silver impregnated to resist bacterial growth. Have not tried these but I like the idea of leaving them setup and no bacterial growth on the dirty side of the filter :

Doulton Sterasyl ceramic candle mount filter

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,625 Posts
Name and sales pitch...

No thank you.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Name and sales pitch...

No thank you.
NOPE.

Just talking from experience using water filters. I have no interest in any of the companies, nor sell any of the products. I have used the sawyer and MSR filters and they both are quality products that work well.

I mentioned the doulton filters on CL as they are going for $20, and they list for $68.50. I'm not selling those nor did I provide a link. However, I have considered buying some for more versatility of my home filtration.

And your experience using water filters , Sir? Any useful suggestions to OP?

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,625 Posts
NOPE.

Just talking from experience using water filters. I have no interest in any of the companies, nor sell any of the products. I have used the sawyer and MSR filters and they both are quality products that work well.

I mentioned the doulton filters on CL as they are going for $20, and they list for $68.50. I'm not selling those nor did I provide a link. However, I have considered buying some for more versatility of my home filtration.

And your experience using water filters , Sir? Any useful suggestions to OP?
Easy there Trigger, the OP is the one giving the sales pitch.
His faux-post is only intended to drive business to the ONLY product he named.
Plus, his avatar name gives it away.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Easy there Trigger, the OP is the one giving the sales pitch.
His faux-post is only intended to drive business to the ONLY product he named.
Plus, his avatar name gives it away.
Whoops, O.K. I did not see it was his 1st post.

The filter he mentions is interesting. It appears to be a miniature bio-sand filter. I looked at their web-site and it makes no mention that it takes several weeks for the active layer to setup on top of the sand that actually kills bacteria and viruses.

I am getting materials together to make a large bio-sand filter for the basement. It will be in a 30-gal food grade plastic barrel and have a 2nd barrel above it as a reservoir. I have a large rain collection system for my garden to feed the barrels and will put a couple of 55-gal barrels of rainwater in the basement for wintertime. Roof is metal so no problems with chemicals from that. To be absolutely safe, I'll add a sawyer purifier to the outlet. With the bio-sand pre-filter the sawyer should almost never need cleaning and last many years.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
seriously, I'd need to see clinical results, most water filter companies have spent millions on their products. Going for the long haul.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts