Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,264 Posts
How much of an increase you expecting? Significant enough to warrant buying short term or long term?

·
Super Moderator
9,264 Posts
I agree, I especially like the copper covered type of lead, with its own brass display stand.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
When you sonsider China has revealed they are no longer going to stock pile foreign reserves in order to hold down the value of the Yuan, and we're looking at a much faster decline in the value of the dollar once they discontinue purchasing our T Bills.

Oh, and just to make things even more interesting, now that China is the world's largest importer of oil, they are going to be paying in Yuan's. Look for the value of the dollar to decrease, and the value of the Yuan, and goods produced in China, to increase. Interest rates will likely climb as well.

Gold makes sense.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I would have to disagree. The Iranians have far too many needs to put gold high on their list, but also the reduction of quantitative easing and the reduction of freely created money into the system means less to be put into securities, investments and the likes of Gold. I still believe 6 to 12 months from now Gold goes under $1k and silver near $16.

Obama agreement with Iran to un-freeze gold trading.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have to disagree. The Iranians have far too many needs to put gold high on their list, but also the reduction of quantitative easing and the reduction of freely created money into the system means less to be put into securities, investments and the likes of Gold. I still believe 6 to 12 months from now Gold goes under $1k and silver near $16.
Suppose silver drops to $17 something. Do you think most will hold off buying expecting it to fall more. Couple that with some losing heart and selling thus driving the price lower?

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
A little tangent here-

"They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed; their silver and gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels; because it is the stumbling-block of their inequity"

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
In all fairness I don't know and shouldn't say -honestly I shouldn't have said what I did even though its my opinion. The reason I shouldn't say is simple - I don't invest in gold or silver. Mind you I'm keen on having some for SHTF but to me its not an investment that I buy hoping it goes up in value. I bought "DDD" the stock for that and its treated me so well I quit before I should have. I don't like stocks much either but that one did me good. I just tend to think when quantitative easing "tapers" the amount of money flowing into investments will dwindle and force markets to "correct" and gold / silver are not sharing in the markets rise to glory right now. I tend to believe when dollars are even harder to get because they aren't so randomly created that trend would get worse then better. I dont' have a point in mind where I'd think - wow - I need to invest in gold / silver. If silver crossed $15 it wouldn't change my mind, if it crossed $10 it wouldn't either - now if it crossed $5 I might try to buy a few hundred ounces - otherwise I'm just content knowing that if "SHTF" and we had hyper inflation I have enough to pay off the few debts I'm willing to hold.

Suppose silver drops to $17 something. Do you think most will hold off buying expecting it to fall more. Couple that with some losing heart and selling thus driving the price lower?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
One of the 'experts' on Fox Business today said that he believes that Gold will be over $1400 in Jan., and possibly higher.
When the market goes up, PM go down and vice versa.
Watch the market and buy on the dips.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Gold closed at $1250 and silver at $20. Isn't that 62.5 to 1 ratio a tad high? Which one would go up or down less? It's pretty clear the days of 20-1 ratios are probably gone for a lifetime plus.

My next theory on these values revolves around the lame stream media who is beginning a full court press to tell the sheeple our economy is grand. For example;
How Complainers Wreck the Economy | Daily Ticker - Yahoo Finance

This is necessary for the media-academia-government machine to insure they don't lose the senate in 2014.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The dollar is getting ever closer to losing its status as the world's reserve currency. Several countries have set up trading agreements with other countries to trade directly in their own currencies and not buy dollars for the trade.
The World Bank is looking to set up a basket of currencies to use as the world reserve currency. Will the dollar be part of the basket? Maybe.
As to buying gold, if are doing it you are probably better off using dollar cost averaging.
I wouldn't look at it as an investment, but more as a long term store of value.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The dollar would be a key currency in a "basket" equation likely run by the UN. While China and Australia did set up an exchange between them which did not include dollars there are very few of those kinds of agreements out there - still every one of them will chip at the "armor" of the dollar and eventually it falls. I am not convinced that is in the near future however. If the FED eases its QE policy (and they announced a "new version" yesterday) the dollar may actually get harder to get then imagined - especially with the US Treasury borrowing nearly every dollar available just to feed its massive entitlement class.

Still Gold and Silver have declined a tad since I last posted, and I'm not certain that isn't going to continue. I'll be watching and I'm intrigued to see how far the "unions" will take the Detroit news. I'm not expecting much until the supremes handle this case or deny taking the case - its going to be appealed for now and that will calm things a bit. If the public employee thugs who expect their phat handouts to continue post bankruptcy don't get their way - watch out.

The dollar is getting ever closer to losing its status as the world's reserve currency. Several countries have set up trading agreements with other countries to trade directly in their own currencies and not buy dollars for the trade.
The World Bank is looking to set up a basket of currencies to use as the world reserve currency. Will the dollar be part of the basket? Maybe.
As to buying gold, if are doing it you are probably better off using dollar cost averaging.
I wouldn't look at it as an investment, but more as a long term store of value.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again

Silver (and less importantly gold) is what you buy when you have so many preps you don't know what else to do.

Several years of food, water, ammo, guns, matches, mouse traps, lighters, NVG, sandbags, medical supplies, etc

Once you scratch your head and are deciding on "cheese wax", THAT is the time to consider precious metals.

For those that have the wealth it will pay off in the long run, if you don't have so many clips for your AK or AR that you are wondering where to store them, don't bother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gold at this moment in time is selling for below production cost. Therefore, mining will stop, supplies will shrink and gold will go back up. Simple supply and demand.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The "price" of gold is being artificially held down by the US dollar due, in part to the "petro dollar".
If the US loses its hold on the "world currency market the price of gold (and our inflation) will skyrocket.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The US dollar loosing world currency status is not likely to be an instant occurrence but develop over months and even years. I think you and others have pointed out how that process has already started, but I would suggest that the process may be one of decades if not years at least. The creating of artificial new money each month by the FED must slow then stop, and that will actually make the dollar stronger ( more rare if you can imagine) and thus won't be good for PMs. I would not be shocked to see PMs continue a rapid decline and over 3-4 years end up at $12/$750.

If you believe the bankers and financiers are corrupt and criminal why wouldn't they drive the billions down, accumulate and own large sums before devaluing the dollar.

I think the only thing that alters my claim is a 9-11 style event.

The "price" of gold is being artificially held down by the US dollar due, in part to the "petro dollar".
If the US loses its hold on the "world currency market the price of gold (and our inflation) will skyrocket.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts